• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng 888s - Takes Programming / Won't Transmit

ghnelson

I'm stumped on this one. I have 3 sets of Baofeng UV-82HP radios. They are programmed and work just fine with each other. I am now trying to program my 888s so they can communicate on ch1-16 with the UV-82HPs.

Chirp does not recognize the 888s but I can program the 888s with the Baofeng 1.08 software. Chirp does recognize the UV-82HP and programs them just fine.

I've verified that the 888s have the same channel configs. When I key up, the UV-82HP wake up but no sound is heard on either radio. Our team has other 888s, and they work just fine with this config. Before the re-programming, my 888s were working fine as well.

Can someone tell me if there's an error in my 888 configs here?

888 Frequencies:
888_freqs.png

888 Functions:
888_funcs.png

UV-82HP Frequencies:
UV82HP_freqs.png

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
For 1 the tone 199.5 is an invalid tone
For 2 the tone squelch on the 82 says tone is 100.0
Some of the CCR's will accept anything for a tone. But yes, the mismatch is probably the issue.

ghnelson

Ah, too long of a day. Ok, corrected that and still nothing. Nothing is sent or received. Config from the 888:
Screenshot 2024-06-14 185218.png

It's so bizarre. The UV82 definitely picks it up, screen goes blue when the 888 is keyed up. No audio in either direction. I'm stumped.

ghnelson

Is the UV82 set to transmit a tone?
no, I don't believe so. Oddly- we have other 888s in the fleet that work fine so I'm not sure. Maybe I have some weird variant here and they are just bricked at this point?

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Try changing to wideband W/N to W

Doesn't make sense, but I programed a couple newer Chinese radios & used Narrow band....radio didn't work, I switch to wide band, it worked 🤷

ghnelson

Try changing to wideband W/N to W

Doesn't make sense, but I programed a couple newer Chinese radios & used Narrow band....radio didn't work, I switch to wide band, it worked 🤷
worth a shot. No joy. UV82 picks it up but no audio. Not even static.

I tried Low vs High transmit power and no joy either.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Don't know the radio, but if it has a monitor button do you hear the other radios if you press/engage it?

ghnelson

Don't know the radio, but if it has a monitor button do you hear the other radios if you press/engage it?
Nope. Don’t hear the radios at all when they key up. Not even static.

I’m thinking these are bricked or are some kind of weird variant. I think I need to return / exchange them.

I checked against another working 888. Configs and memories are identical. What’s weird is the working 888 is detected both as an 888 and v8a in Chirp. However, the non working 888s are only detected as v8a in chirp- I can’t get chirp to see them as 888 at all.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Do you have an sdr you can try an visually see the actual frequency the 888s is transmitting on?

ghnelson

You have high and low voltage transmit both disabled on your screen copy?

Frank
Are you referring to the Settings screenshot of the 888? If so, yes we have high and low voltage tx disable checked.

I checked a working 888 and both are checked on that one.

ghnelson

After more testing, I was able to prove that the 888s can RX when I set the squelch to 0. My UV82HP was able to TX to it. Still no TX from the 888 though.

MYSTERY SOLVED. Here's the steps I found that fixed it.

I have no idea why this works but I stumbled across this youtube video. The symptoms aren't the same as mine but somewhat in the ballpark.

#1.
I download the .480 repair file from the youtube description (dropbox link) and I wrote it to the non-working 888 radio via the Baofeng v1.08 OEM software.

#2.
Fired up Chirp. Restored my working 888 config to the radio. For model type, I had to set the model type to V8A. It refused to be recognized by CHIRP as an 888. (I'm stumped on this point as we have several 888s on our team and they get detected as V8A AND 888 in CHIRP)

#3.
After restarting the 888s after reprogramming, they are working without issue to the other 888s and to my UV82HPs!!!

I am a newbie to this and was just doing basic programming via USB to help out so I don't have the tools or knowledge to figure out what the heck was going on here but thought I'd post the steps to fix it in case it helps others.