• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base Ground Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traffic_Guy

I plan on setting up a home base, I'm having a hard time with different opinions about grounding the antenna. I plan on mounting an Antron 99 on a galvanized Mast. I will put the Mast in the ground about 2 feet. I will then drive a copper ground rod next to the pipe and bond them together. Also I would like to install a lightning arrestor for the coax. Does this install where the coax connects to the antenna and then ground to the mast? Or at the bottom where it would ground to the ground rod? any help would be appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The coax lightning arrestor should be installed at the point where the coaxial cable enters your home.

The new ground rod you put in at the base of the mast MUST be bonded to the home ground rod, per National Electric Code. That ensures that you won't have any ground potential differences between the grounded coaxial cable to your radio and other grounded items in your home.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
There should be no soldering in any ground connection. They must be only welded or mechanical connections.
BB

If you are referring to the diagrams, the soldering reference there is to the installation of the coax connector (in other words not to use solderless PL-259 or Type-N).

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Hi... I recommend a few minor changes, but they are really just loose ideas, and you are the one doing the work, so.....

1. The "temporary holes" should be permanent to allow for the inspection of connections.
2. The coax shield ground should be connected to ground at the entry panel, not on the tower.

Language is funny, when you say "soldered", do you mean "welded", there is a huge difference, welding or mechanical connections (with listed components) are required for grounds (actually "brazing" or "exothermic welds", usually with a little thermite )) Exothermic welds are done with a little cup of thermite mixture in a clay thing, that you light and automatically welds the wire and rod together (CADWELD makes them).

Pipes, rods, and tubes, are different. wouldn't recommend a pipe or tube for anything here. (partially usable, just not recommended).

Also... and this could be important.... All towers that I have seem, have the ground ring bonded to the tower ABOVE the base, otherwise you could put a lightning bolt through the concrete, risking structural damage...

page 1-17 and 1-19 could be informative.

Basically go by the National electrical code, and use all other information for clarification.

I hope this helps as well as the other well thought out comments.

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
2. The coax shield ground should be connected to ground at the entry panel, not on the tower.

Industry standard is to ground the coax shield with a grounding kit at the top of the tower, bottom of the tower and often periodically along the length of the tower. That lets the tower carry some of the load and not dump it all on the coax shield.

For CB/Hobby use, any grounding is often better than what most hobbyists do.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Industry standard is to ground the coax shield with a grounding kit at the top of the tower, bottom of the tower and often periodically along the length of the tower. That lets the tower carry some of the load and not dump it all on the coax shield.

For CB/Hobby use, any grounding is often better than what most hobbyists do.

At first my reaction was "yikes" that doesn't sound right.
But then I thought about some antennas that I had (helped to) install, and in a roundabout way the shield was grounded, the coax connector was a bulkhead connector, the "bulkhead" and its associated reflector was connected to a separate down-lead that was secured to the tower with grounding clamps on the way down.
One of the installations was a little overkill, when reading the "rules" it required a seperate downlead for each of the three antennas, plus two 4/0 downleads due to the tower height (on separate tower legs). It ended up being a very large bundle of grounds.

Thanks
Joel

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's common to have a grounding kit near the top and bonding the ground to the tower.
All the towers I've worked on have a ground buss mounted at the tower base and each cable coming down the tower has a grounding kit bonded to it.

But, again, for CB, anything is better than nothing. For a basic hobby install, follow NEC and you'll be golden.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
It appears they are using copper tubing of some kind in the ground system and the soldering looks like its on the copper tubing. That would be a no.

You are right, I did not have my glasses on and thought I was looking at the coax. 8-(

N4KVE

Over the years, depending on where I have lived, I ran a ground rod into the earth, & other times I didn’t. Never noticed a difference. Oh, when I moved, I left it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.