Base Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

railroadertwo

Scanner recommendation: I have a friend that wants to get a base scanner, not handheld, she doesn't want a digital one, like the one I have, she don't really need one in her area, for the most part, and she doen't need one that has 10,000 channels, I have always bought Radio Shack, but I believe they are getting out of the scanner business, I have no experience with any other brand. Thank You

railroadertwo

Having searched for GRE Scanners, the Whistler Group, WHISTLER WS1025 might be just the thing for her, if they ever decide to put their scanners on the market. doesn't seem to be much movement on that front. Thanks

LordJ

Newer scanners have dynamic memory, so don't get put off by the '10,000' channel thing....Take a serious look at the BCT15X. Inexpensive, and lots of current features in an analog scanner. Can be frustrating to some people learning the newer format, but worth the learning pains once you get it.

N8IAA

Newer scanners have dynamic memory

Not true. If you want to buy at the Shack, check out the BC-355N. It is selling for around $100. Non-digital, and has banks. If she is in the same county as you, this will work for what your friend wants. The 15X will be overkill.
HTH,
Larry

railroadertwo

Thank You, The BC355N cannot be programed with a computer, and while I know it can be done manually, it is much easier to do with a computer and Radio Reference. I think this one would work for her. Radio Shack Pro 405, it does not have Alpha Tagging however. If it were up to me, I would go with the BCT15X, but I think it is a little more expensive than she wanted to spend, but I will have her take a look.

N8IAA

Thank You, The BC355N cannot be programed with a computer, and while I know it can be done manually, it is much easier to do with a computer and Radio Reference. I think this one would work for her. Radio Shack Pro 405, it does not have Alpha Tagging however. If it were up to me, I would go with the BCT15X, but I think it is a little more expensive than she wanted to spend, but I will have her take a look.

Having just checked Radio Shack, that scanner is no longer offered for sale. For just a couple of frequencies, the 15X is still overkill.
JMHO,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.