• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Base station options

Status
Not open for further replies.

srbecker58

Ugh!!! The Wouxun KG-1000G is now up to $369.99!!! That is insane and starting to push my budget. That being said, what other options are out there that are similar?

BTech 50X1?

I am looking for these features:

• be able to scan other frequencies outside of GMRS (my son loves listening to the fire fighters)
  • Listen to/monitor 2 stations so I can listen to a repeater and my sons GMRS channel simultaneously
  • program with free software like native software or CHIRP. I prefer not to use Kenwood strictly because of this reason
  • program multiple repeaters using the same frequency but different PL tones - The reason is we camp and I would like to have my home (base) repeaters programmed in, but not have to change those when we go camping to a place that has repeaters using the same frequency. I would like to just add that frequency to another channel and add the new PL tone

I think the Btech 50X1 is a decent radio from what I have read, BUT it does not do that last bullet from my understanding. I would assume if my $40 Radioddity could add that feature with a simple firmware update, that so could Btech, but will it ever actually get added?

Is it just smarter to pay the extra $50 and wait 1 month + for the Wouxun?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I'm a diehard fan of commercial equipment. I bought a Kenwood TK-890 mobile in perfect working order and in good cosmetic shape for $85, then spent $40 on programming software and a cable. I'll get a decade or more of use out of this investment. Commercial grade. Built to last. I can change frequencies and CTCSS tones as often as I want. Win-Win.

K6GBW

I'm also in the commercial radio camp. A Motorola CDM can be found for right around $100.00. You'd need to find someone to program it but that shouldn't be too hard. There's usually someone around that can take care of it or a local radio shop can do it. I have a Motorola XTL that I use for both ham radio and GMRS. Yes, it's a little expensive and takes some work but they really do work better than anything else. On the cheaper and easier side, there's the Midland MXT400?

prcguy

I agree there are many surplus commercial radios that work great and can be had for cheap. One of my favorites for GMRS is the Bendix/King EMV4990A which is a 50 watt 200+ channel radio that works great and the programming software is freeware. These radios show up surplus quite often on Ebay in the $85 range although $100 will get one that looks prettier. I used to buy these new in the 80s for full price and now they are one step above free.

K6GBW

The EMV4990A! God, I had one of those around 1990 or so. They were great radios! Reminded me of something you'd see in a missile silo or some other doomsday scenario. Were I grew up we all worked on a local ranch. The ranch had a VHF simplex frequency for operations and we all had radios in our pickups and houses. There was a group of about twenty of us on that local simple network and it was a blast. Sorta like the worlds coolest CB! God I miss those days!

prcguy

The VHF would have been the EMH5990A, I keep one of those for some Part 90 stuff and I have several EMVs on GMRS. In So Cal where they changed the 70cm amateur spacing to 20KHz the EMVs won't program that but they work fine for amateur in other parts of US using 12.5/25KHz channels.

The EMV4990A! God, I had one of those around 1990 or so. They were great radios! Reminded me of something you'd see in a missile silo or some other doomsday scenario. Were I grew up we all worked on a local ranch. The ranch had a VHF simplex frequency for operations and we all had radios in our pickups and houses. There was a group of about twenty of us on that local simple network and it was a blast. Sorta like the worlds coolest CB! God I miss those days!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Couldn't agree more with you guys! There are so many options out there with surplus commercial gear. Spend half the money or less then that waxoff radio costs, put a little effort into obtaining software and programming cables and you end up with a much better radio that will last a long time. I've seen this particular waxoff radio in person, the audio out the speaker is horrible and an external speaker didn't help much. I ended up giving the fellow an old MCS2000 model I had laying around and he couldn't be happier.

we1h

EMV4990A which is a 50 watt 200+ channel radio that works great and the programming software is freeware.

I just picked one of these up for free and cannot seem to find the programming software "freeware" referenced in the above quoted post. Is the software freely available or is it still in the commercial domain? If it is still commercial domain, does anyone have the part number and a good purchase point? Also... what is the RF connector on the back? It does not seem to be compatablr with a PL-259.

Thanks!

prcguy

You can join BKradio@groups.io and they have it in their files section. Or I might be able to send it to you since it was offered free from the factory at one time. You will also need a programming cable and those might be on eBay. The antenna connector is a mini UHF, common for these radios, Motorola and others.

I just picked one of these up for free and cannot seem to find the programming software "freeware" referenced in the above quoted post. Is the software freely available or is it still in the commercial domain? If it is still commercial domain, does anyone have the part number and a good purchase point? Also... what is the RF connector on the back? It does not seem to be compatablr with a PL-259.

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
what is the RF connector on the back? It does not seem to be compatablr with a PL-259.

mini-UHF, just like Motorola.

Word of advice, use the correct mini-UHF male connector on your coax. Avoid adapters. The connectors are really weak and don't like stress. Easy to break off when you start sticking adapters on there.

we1h

You can join BKradio@groups.io and they have it in their files section. Or I might be able to send it to you since it was offered free from the factory at one time. You will also need a programming cable and those might be on eBay. The antenna connector is a mini UHF, common for these radios, Motorola and others.

Thanks! It seems that the radio is programmable without software if you have the right mic... which I happen to have so I was able to enter the needed freq's into it. Now to test on the air and be sure it works.

we1h

Word of advice, use the correct mini-UHF male connector on your coax. Avoid adapters. The connectors are really weak and don't like stress. Easy to break off when you start sticking adapters on there.

Appreciate the heads up!

N4KVE

While I agree about the adapters, I still use them if I need a radio in a motel room for the weekend at a ham fest. But for long term use, I use these, as there is no stress on the connector. $5 on E-Bay when I got them. But the proper connector on the coax would be the best for permanent long term use. With the 4 radios at my base, one has the “guilty” adapter, one has the adapter I’m referencing, & 2 have the mini UHF connector on the coax like you suggested. But I had to send off to have them custom made with mini UHF on one end, & N connector on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.