Basic Mobile Install: Mercury Mountie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGA

I share these pics not because my install is rather nice or especially neat. I share them to say that if I can do it, any one can. I barely know how to screw in a light bulb by myself. A few basic tools are needed, it will be required to drill holes into your vehicle, and you should have a soldering iron and a multi-meter. Other than that, pick your radio poison and you're all ready to go. You CAN do it.

There are two NMO types and a mag mount on the roof top at the moment. I found out I was short a BNC connector when doing the install, so the scanner is currently using the mag mount until I get a new one. I did have to lower the liner a few inches to get the mounts in. Other than that, it was a piece of cake. I used a purpose built cutting accessory for NMO installs to make the holes in the roof. Take note that I was able to get the NMOs in in spite of the moon roof. Once you lower the liner, it is easy to make the necessary measurements to accommodate its range of motion. The antennas are Larsen and the mounts Maxrad. I have a few more trim panels to reinstall and some other, minor changes to make so that the wire management is a bit neater, but all in all, its pretty much in the final state. The exterior speaker was not installed because it is much less sensitive than the factory speaker of the 7800. In fact, it takes very little adjustment on the pot to fill the car with full sound.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

The radio is powered directly from the battery. There are 15A fuses on both terminals. Both ends of the power cables are terminated with Power Pole connectors. The power cabling runs through the firewall and along the cable channel on the drivers side, under the door trim. A 1/2" titanium drill bit put a nice hole where I wanted it. A rubber grommet then was put in place and the cable threaded before the whole kaboodle was sealed with silicone sealant. I put the radio in the cargo hold for two reasons. One, because summers are very hot in Georgia, putting it anyplace else would just about ensure overheating during a modest rag chew. Second, I need to remove the radio for reasons that include to avoid theft (this IS Atlanta) and to permit overload cargo carry. In the next few days I'll replace the OEM screws with butterfly nuts to facilitate easy dismounting. The face plate is likewise intended to be removed when not in use.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Well, that's about it. Thanks for all the good ideas that I've gleaned over the last few months here. It is my hope that perhaps I can return the favor.

tekshogun

very nice, always good to see more FT-7800R/7900R's being installed, great radios and were built especially for the mobile-ham in mind. Glad they started giving away the remote mounting kits

MOGA

Looking good! Where in the Metro are you? I'm up in Cobb.

I appreciate the comments gents. I'm inside city limits on the Fulton side, near the Zoo.

Somehow Digi-Key got the new connectors to my doorstep in under 48 hours, so I'll be doing some soldering this afternoon. Very pleased to have the parts so soon. Either Digi-Key is based in ATL or my neighbor is running the operation out of his basement. Either way, very impressive response time on their part.

unixfreak0037

Premium Subscriber
That is a very slick installation. Very professional looking. I like how your radio is in two parts, with the main part hidden away. I should have got one like that. I also like the cup holder mount for the GRE. I'm going to get one of those myself for mine.

Good job.

MOGA

Got the new connectors installed. Everything is running tip top. So glad that my mobile station doesn't suffer from the dreaded fuel pump whine that plagues many 2nd gen Explorer/Mountaineer owners. Will have a chance to put the station thru paces during a road trip planned in a few weeks, but until then, I'm confident that it'll be gtg when I call on it for comms.

MOGA

Thanks for the kind words unixfreak. Maybe after a few dozen installs ill be an old hand at it but for now, its definitely amateur hour. Im okay with that as long as I don't short out any circuits or electrocute myself when using the station :eek:

stevelton

I see 3 antennas, but only 2 radios, was curious what the 3rd antenna was for?

Status
Not open for further replies.