Basic Radio Workbench items

Skyd

Hey all - first I don't mean this to be a rehash of a similar thread about test equipment every ham should have.

Also, I've done extensive searching both on the google machine and here and I'm coming up a bit short (or maybe not) on the info I'm looking for. Perhaps my Google-Fu isn't good enough but I've found it very difficult to find a listing of radio radio repair tools and equipment. So let me tell you what I'm looking for and the items I already know about and see if I can get some input.

Hopefully this will also help anyone with similar questions in the future.

So I've dabbled in electronics since I was a kid and I have alot of the basic tools needed to perform basic repairs and diagnosis but I'm trying to put together a list so I can begin building out my workbench to do some radio repair.

My interest lie primarily in radios that are post vacuum tube era but pre SMT era. So mostly 80's and 90's stuff which is when I grew up and first got into radios and electronics. So without further ado, here's the list of things I already either have or know I should get:

- Flush cutters
- Wire strippers
- Digital Multi Meter (analog might be nice too)
- ESD safe tweezers
- Various pliers (needlenose especially)
- Precision screwdrivers
- Crimping tool and connectors
- Soldering Iron
- Solder sucker
- Solder, desoldering wick, tip tinner
- Flux pen
- 3rd hand
- alligator clips
- RF/SWR Meter and Dummy load
- Solder fume extractor

Eventually and/or nice to have:
- Oscilloscope
- Antenna analyzer

What else should I have or plan to get in the near future? I'm also not only willing, but prefer any test items I can either kit build or homebrew from scratch.

Thanks in advance and apolgies if this has been covered a zillion times, I couldn't find much other than what I've got pieced together already. I feel like I'm missing some useful items that I haven't found or thought of.

prcguy

Going on personal experience, I would get a second work bench so when your primary work bench gets buried 2ft deep in projects, parts, test equipment, wire clippings, trash, you will still have a place to work. I have three work benches and took me a week to clean the third one to get a few projects done because bench 1 and 2 are hopelessly buried.

k6cpo

A good work light, and probably one with the built in magnifier. I've got one of those on my bench and it really helps seeing the small stuff.

I was gifted a medical grade magnifier examination lamp made by Luxo several years ago. That thing has turned out to be invaluable when working on small parts. If it ever quits, I'll buy another one in heart beat.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Going on personal experience, I would get a second work bench so when your primary work bench gets buried 2ft deep in projects, parts, test equipment, wire clippings, trash, you will still have a place to work. I have three work benches and took me a week to clean the third one to get a few projects done because bench 1 and 2 are hopelessly buried.
I have that solution... and that issue in my shop. Three benches and always full of projects.

prcguy

I had to clear off bench #3 today to replace a relay in a friends amplifier and now an eBay duplexer just showed up in the mail and I have to clear it all out again and set up for duplexer tuning. I really wish I could have lots of benches, each dedicated to a specific thing so I don't have to clear them off and start from scratch all the time. My bench #3 is supposed to be for woodworking but we see how that worked out.

1675893493310.jpeg

For whoever started this thread, think hard about what you want to do on your workbench and try to see in advance if you have more things to do than you will have bench space for. In addition to a cute little list of tools, test equipment and widgets, where are you going to store them? Will the test equipment fit on the bench along with the thing your about to test? Yada yada, etc.

Jebus, I thought my bench was bad. Wow.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When I was young, Jensen Tools was in the S.E. Phx/Tempe area and it was easy to find specialty tools, albeit at a premium price.

Now, I'm on a fixed income, so where can one get Wiha and other specialty stuff without the premium price and no, Harbor Freight is not a valid answer for a lot of stuff. Tarps, perhaps, but not micrometers.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Magnetic Pickup Tool is a must when you drop screws and cant find them.

I used to use a small magnetic pickup tool, designed for auto techs to retrieve fasteners in tight spaces. As my vision isn't what it once was, I bought the push broom style with wheels. It speeds up the process in finding the small stuff that blends into concrete and interior lighting.

Skyd

For whoever started this thread, think hard about what you want to do on your workbench and try to see in advance if you have more things to do than you will have bench space for. In addition to a cute little list of tools, test equipment and widgets, where are you going to store them? Will the test equipment fit on the bench along with the thing your about to test? Yada yada, etc.

I've already accepted that I will have more ambitions than I'll have space or time. Especially space. So I'm just going to have to limit myself to 1 project at a time, which is fine as that's probably all I can afford to do anyway. I have a space picked out that I think I'm going to use and some storage for things. If I start to outgrow it I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I dont' plan to live in this house forever either, I've already been here longer than planned.

A multidriver and bits for all the odd screw heads (torc ect). Also small nutdiver set.

Oh that's a good reminder - I remember seeing a little set that even had the wierd nintendo tri-wing bits in it. I'll have to look again.