BC 245XLT RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
After many years of heavy use, my BC 245XLT stopped receiving. Yes, I have used services to find the local NOAA station to no avail. It does not pick up anything. There was a brief moment when I heard an extremely faint transmission from NOAA, but not worthy of scanning purposes.

Although this radio was not plugged into the power source, it was scanning during a fierce electrical storm. This was "all of the sudden" difference.
I might add, when I first heard the radio's lack of reception, it was in Killeen, Texas where it is further away from the NOAA transmitting station. When I got it back to Waco, the reception improved, but it was much weaker than ever before.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:

JamesO

After many years of heavy use, my BC 245XLT stopped receiving. Yes, I have used services to find the local NOAA station to no avail. It does not pick up anything. There was a brief moment when I heard an extremely faint transmission from NOAA, but not worthy of scanning purposes.

Although this radio was not plugged into the power source, it was scanning during a fierce electrical storm. This was "all of the sudden" difference.
I might add, when I first heard the radio's lack of reception, it was in Killeen, Texas where it is further away from the NOAA transmitting station. When I got it back to Waco, the reception improved, but it was much weaker than ever before.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Try a different antenna just for kicks to see what happens.

Might be an antenna connector/connection issue.

Check the Uniden website to see if they offer flat rate repair service for your model. Usually about $55 with shipping, but the scanner may not be worth spending that kind of money on??

Might be time to upgrade and put the $55 toward an upgrade? Might be able to ebay the current one to recoup a few $$ even if not working correctly?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
$49.50 Repair, Worth it!

Try a different antenna just for kicks to see what happens.

Might be an antenna connector/connection issue.

Check the Uniden website to see if they offer flat rate repair service for your model. Usually about $55 with shipping, but the scanner may not be worth spending that kind of money on??

Might be time to upgrade and put the $55 toward an upgrade? Might be able to ebay the current one to recoup a few $$ even if not working correctly?

Well, the price of repair is only $49.50. That is a very cheap price when compared with the money I spent for another scanner company repair job. I don't use this scanner very often. But, I do want a working analog particularly for Skywarn season.

Analogs: BC245XLT; Pro-90; & Pro-2042. From what I've read, some of these radios can be modified for listening to various things like ProVoice.
Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Pop The Back Open & Look

I should write a book on suspected problems with reception. I hate BNC connectors. At least it was obvious what was wrong with my radio. I gently moved the disconnected wire over to where it is supposed to be connected and bam, that baby started receiving. If I were not "all thumbs" with a soldering iron, I would fix it. However, I've never ever touched a circuit board that hasn't gone up in smoke. So, I will get someone to solder this bad boy.

Last edited:

JamesO

Glad you found the OBVIOUS problem.

I also think the connection on the circuit board looks suspect as well.

If it was my scanner, I would replace the solid conductor with a stranded wire and be careful not to wick too much solder into the stranded wire.

The stranded wire will have some flexibility and less likely try to break or stress the solder joints as much.

I many times also replace the cheap Asian BNC connectors with a decent quality Amp or Amphenol connector which has better center conductor tabs.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Solder, No

Glad you found the OBVIOUS problem.

I also think the connection on the circuit board looks suspect as well.

If it was my scanner, I would replace the solid conductor with a stranded wire and be careful not to wick too much solder into the stranded wire.

The stranded wire will have some flexibility and less likely try to break or stress the solder joints as much.

I many times also replace the cheap Asian BNC connectors with a decent quality Amp or Amphenol connector which has better center conductor tabs.

Yes, the circuit board looks to be a bit loose as well. So, I suppose you have to turn it over to the other side in order to solder it. I don't know. From this side, I suppose it is not possible to solder the circuit board. I would imagine you have to flip it to solder it. I'm going to let the radio technicians do this because I gave up on soldering. I can't even make a decent repair to a 1/4 plug for a guitar cord. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.