SDS100/SDS200: bc-gps and sds100

AA8CB

Premium Subscriber
When plugging the bc-sgps into the sds100 (or any scanner), should the power on the scanner be off and the bc-sgps plugged into the power source already? After you plug in your bc-sgps cable to the scanner, you then turn the scanner on. Or does it matter if the scanner is already on and working when you plug the bc-sgps into the scanner?

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
I don't think this is a big issue as the USB is only providing about 4.5-5v of power that the scanner is already expecting on that port.

I like to power on the GPS unit first so that it can do its own thing to acquire satellites, etc and then start streaming the GPS data when I plug it into the scanner.

JDKelley

Just call me "Sparks." Or "Lucky."
Actually, I don't think the GPS unit is providing any power to the scanner - I've had the batteries go flat on me on longer drives with the GPS plugged in and the charger idle.

Which is why I'm looking for a wye plug (2*female arm 1*male stem) for USB Mini-B, so I can have the GPS and the charge plugged in at the same time. Be best if I could get a blocking diode on one so I don't backfeed power into the GPS unit, but that would entail building it myself, and I'd hav to track down parts (which I just might end up doing anyhow...)

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
If you get the Uniden GPS kit, it does power the radio
And I have done both, plugged the power in with the scanner on and off. with the GPS plug and doesn't seem to make a difference.
If you don't have the Uniden kit, you can use the other jack to power the radio.

There is a setting that can turn the charge off while the radio is on. It will only charge if the radio is off.

Settings,
Battery options
Set charge while on
Enable

Last edited: