Attachments

• BC125AT Unboxed.jpg
    BC125AT Unboxed.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8,831
  • Group Photo.jpg
    Group Photo.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5,809

questnz

Finally we getting somwhere with new toy on the market, "first take" comments please as the interest is huge.

scannersnstuff

got mine today as well, from the fine folk's at scanner master. after about 4 hour's of playing around with it, it seem's fairly sensitive, and pretty loud. i still can't figure out why the 5 khz. step's in vhf-hi. maybe something will get changed in a firmware revision. there seemed to be some confusion. it does come complete with belt clip,wrist strap,usb cable,operating guide,antenna and 2 aa rechargeable batteries.
the display is pretty nice and large. it does feel "chintzy". about what i'd expect from a scanner at this price.i threw a fq/pl/tag in , without using the guide. i'm fairly happy so far.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The BC125AT is lightweight, about the size of the BC246T, and should fit in a pocket great for all RF activities. It has great display for visual, it's easy to read, but the red/orange back-light is still going to be hard to see in direct sunlight. It's RF sensitive, but I suspect prone to intermod from stronger signals (especially RF generators like PC's).

I picked up mil-air activity really quick. VHF Civil Air is sensitive also. Not much activity on Railroad so far, but I'll be listening.

I find it is a real KISS radio. Not much to do for setup unless you want to label everything, but you can do that with the BC125AT_SS software and the ARC125 (in the process of beta). The SS software is great to get you started, but your going to want to import from the Radioreference database, especially the Nationwide frequency data.

The software is not included, however it is a full program free download on the Uniden Twiki site. Most people in this computer age are now able to access the web, but there may be some folks that would not even need the software.

The Service search and Close Call Do Not Disturb is going to be great at the next Air Show. I'm going to take it with me to AZ this week and subject it to some high RF areas and see what happens.

DCS/CTCSS search is as always, is fast I had no trouble finding a local CTCSS and DCS code that I already had known. Ham stations sound 5/9, with no hum or background except for the usual rag-chewing.

I think race/air show fans are going to need a quality headset like the RaceScan set I have. Some may even want a built in audio amp. The volume in the home setting is quite loud on the higher end, but as usual for this price point, don't expect exceptional volume output from the small speaker. It does sound good with my Etymotic MC5 set of earbud headphones.

Squelch is a mixed bag. You need it a little higher for the VHF air due to the AM modulation setting, but it works well at a low number setting for general coverage. A setting of 3 or 4 on the squelch is a good balance. To aacess the squelch you need to hit the function and tap the scroll control, then spin left for down and right for up to set. Volume is just as easy from just a tap on the scroll control.

Another thing to expect is noise (QRM), the radio IS sensitive, so if your near an RF source, expect many frequencies to be hearing false signals.

I'm not sure about the signal strength calibration, but I read full-scale five bars on many of the local stations. DX stations are low volume readable at one or two bars.

The two included batteries are chargeable via the USB port. Keep in mind you'll need a AC to USB adapter that is not included, or use the computer USB port. However, as usual I recommend an external charger for your batteries.

All in all, a great looking radio that I'm sure will be a hit for activity scanning.

Hopefully ScannerMaster will have a Nylon or Leather case for it soon.

I give the BC125AT a 4 ot of 5 for out of the box operation. Let's see how it holds up in real RF areas. :twisted:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
By the way, I found the BC125AT on eBay for $129.00 with free shipping for those who may be interested.

scannersnstuff

published at 80 ch's/second. seem's like it has fast scan and search.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It is fast at search too, I have yet to load it up with 500 channels, but I'd like to see how fast it can go.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yes!

7.5 kHz steps are in the works (and easy to change).

Ok, ok, NOW you got my attention! I can live without 800 mhz. but the 7.5 khz. steps included seals the deal for me. Just curious though, will this or can this be done through firmware upgrade? or does one have to wait until this change hits the production line?

Manny

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Firmware update by you. We're working on a new version of the updater that makes the process a bit easier (for this and future updates on other models, too, like BCD396XT, etc).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Looks like a nice scanner.How does it do on low band?

It's doing well on low band, I've even heard a few mixed signals on a couple of frequencies telling me it's picking up some DX stations. I would normally recommend a different antenna, but the stock one is working well for general coverage.

Last edited:

Highpockets

got mine today as well, from the fine folk's at scanner master. after about 4 hour's of playing around with it, it seem's fairly sensitive, and pretty loud. i still can't figure out why the 5 khz. step's in vhf-hi. maybe something will get changed in a firmware revision. there seemed to be some confusion. it does come complete with belt clip,wrist strap,usb cable,operating guide,antenna and 2 aa rechargeable batteries.
the display is pretty nice and large. it does feel "chintzy". about what i'd expect from a scanner at this price.i threw a fq/pl/tag in , without using the guide. i'm fairly happy so far.

Good luck with your new scanner. :D

KJ6HCB

Interesting, thanks for the post. Im looking for a scanner to carry with me handheld when Im out of the vehicle or not at the office on news scenes (photographer). Been using my VX5R Yaesu but looking for something a bit easier to use then that.... this may be the ticket.

lencatman

They have them at Durham Radio selling for Market price: $179.95 Durham Radio price: $169.95 save 6%. hmmmm Radioworld is so much closer I can ride my 12 speed mountain bike there...

bigcam406

BC125AT Review

hey guys,like i said earlier,i grabbed one over the weekend and heres what i found: couldnt believe how small it was.im so used to my psr500,and so lightweight,even with the batteries installed.programming was a snap,took me approz 1.5 hrs to program my local air and other conventional freqs.the scroll button makes things so much easier when you want to find certain menus,or just to alpha tag your freqs.i hooked up a Watson 881 antenna to it and was very surprised.very sensitive for aircraft freqs(im listening to Pearson International in Toronto 35 miles west of me).sound is good considering the size of the speaker.the only thing im still getting used to is the volume and squelch controls,have to be accessed by the scroll function button.im always turning it out of habit and it beeps lol. the display is awesome,wide and legible for a radio this size.i give this radio a 4/5,very impressed.great deal for a basic scanner for conventional freqs that you can take anywhere in your pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.