BC125AT: BC125AT - Very poor reception

marcel1988

I got a second hand BC125AT to play with outside.

But it seems that the radio is not working like my other one: UBC125XLT (Bad recepion, low bars)
Did some searching on the forum, and found this topic: BC125AT - Very poor reception - cause?
This is exactly the problem that i have, but i don't see a solution in that topic.

Can someone help out with this?

Ubbe

If its schematic looks anything like a UBC125XLT then it has no protection diodes on its antenna input. Any high power transmitter close enough will blow up the first amplifier transistor and needs to go to Uniden to be repaired, at almost the same cost as a new scanner.

/Ubbe

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I got a second hand BC125AT to play with outside.

But it seems that the radio is not working like my other one: UBC125XLT (Bad recepion, low bars)
Did some searching on the forum, and found this topic: BC125AT - Very poor reception - cause?
This is exactly the problem that i have, but i don't see a solution in that topic.

Can someone help out with this?
You can get New ones for $125.00 on Ebay used $89 bucks Look around

marcel1988

If its schematic looks anything like a UBC125XLT then it has no protection diodes on its antenna input. Any high power transmitter close enough will blow up the first amplifier transistor and needs to go to Uniden to be repaired, at almost the same cost as a new scanner.

/Ubbe

And wich transistor on the board is the amplifier transistor?
Why should i not be able myself to solder a new transistor on the board?

Since it seems that the costs for a new one are the same as sending this to uniden to fix?

Ubbe

I don't have the schematic for BC125 but Uniden usually replace Q1 and sometimes also Q2 when reception have gone down. Q1 are BFP420 in the UBC scanner and I also believe it to be the same in BCD436, so possible also in BC125. Q2 are a 2SC5065 in UBC. Both are less than $1 from Mouser but are also available from Ebay.

From the antenna connector there are bandpass filters and 2cm into the circuit board you should find the first amplifier transistors.

Maybe some specific BC125AT discussion group like groups.io could have the proper schematics.

/Ubbe