SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 External Speaker/Audio options

Ubbe

I also have that SSN4005A and it seems to be a 4 ohm speaker when measure DC resistance, so maybe higher in impedance. It doesn't begin to limit at volume 12 but increase audio cleanly up to volume 15. But 15 equal in sound level to a volume 7 when using my GSN6035a speaker, that when I connected left and right channels together need to go from volume 6 to 5 or it will be too loud on my desk from a one meter distance. If using a mono plug it will shortcircuit the right channel to ground, so stereo plug are a must.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
A mono plug will physically fit into the scanner's earphone jack, but it's not a good idea to do that. It has long been advised by Uniden NOT to insert a mono plug into any of Uniden's earphone jacks. Doing so will short out half of the audio amplifier and reduce the audio output by quite a bit. To use a device with a mono plug in an earphone jack, a stereo to mono adaptor should be used in the earphone port.
The Uniden BC23A speaker uses only the tip and sleeve connections of the stereo plug. There is an isolation transformer in the speaker case which prevents shorting the sleeve to ground when the audio outputs of scanners are floating.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought that I had put a resister in series to convert that to an 8 ohm speaker, but it must have been some other speaker. Both of the smaller speakers are 4 ohm. I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to order more resisters and make the change.

The SDS100 seems quite happy, so I'm happy.

I also have that SSN4005A and it seems to be a 4 ohm speaker when measure DC resistance, so maybe higher in impedance. It doesn't begin to limit at volume 12 but increase audio cleanly up to volume 15. But 15 equal in sound level to a volume 7 when using my GSN6035a speaker, that when I connected left and right channels together need to go from volume 6 to 5 or it will be too loud on my desk from a one meter distance. If using a mono plug it will shortcircuit the right channel to ground, so stereo plug are a must.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

The Uniden BC23A speaker uses only the tip and sleeve connections of the stereo plug. There is an isolation transformer in the speaker case which prevents shorting the sleeve to ground when the audio outputs of scanners are floating.
I noticed the sound level went up when using both tip and ring connected together, but that might only be pertinent to using a low ohm speaker that needs more power from the amplifier.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I thought that I had put a resister in series to convert that to an 8 ohm speaker
Never use resistors in series with speakers, you are only burning up power in the resistor instead of producing sound energy. The lower the impedance of a speaker the more power it can give at a given voltage compared to a higher ohm speaker. Modern amplifiers are protected against over temp and over power and shortcircuits. If it sounds distorted, the amplifier are over strained, then you simply lower the volume.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
The friend who taught me that had about 65 years of experience in electronics including a lot of audio experience. I'll go with what he told me, thanks.

Never use resistors in series with speakers, you are only burning up power in the resistor instead of producing sound energy. The lower the impedance of a speaker the more power it can give at a given voltage compared to a higher ohm speaker. Modern amplifiers are protected against over temp and over power and shortcircuits. If it sounds distorted, the amplifier are over strained, then you simply lower the volume.

/Ubbe