SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 External Speaker/Audio options

Trucker700

A passive speaker is one that does not have it's own, powered,amplifier built in to it. It can be plugged directly into the earphone jack and does not require being connected to a 12 volt power source.
Think of it this way, it is no different than having the speaker in the radio. Instead, it is outside, Instead of inside the radio.
James

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
A passive speaker is one that does not have it's own, powered,amplifier built in to it. It can be plugged directly into the earphone jack and does not require being connected to a 12 volt power source.
Think of it this way, it is no different than having the speaker in the radio. Instead, it is outside, Instead of inside the radio.
James
Ah, got you. So, that's what I ordered according to the details. Good to know, thanks for that explanation.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the advice. That makes great sense, especially from someone who has tested it in different settings.

The only thing I'm unsure/confused on is what you mean by a "Passive external speaker". Would that be an non-amplified speaker? Either way I'm not sure what one of them are, as I've not looked into them as of yet.

Anyways, great advice and I really appreciate it!
Yes, you are correct, and sorry about the word “passive”… you won’t find it in any adds for speakers. It’s merely a way of distinguishing between a non-amplified speaker (passive) and an amplified speaker (powered).

A “passive” speaker has only one cable (actually it’s a pair of wires) that go to the plug which you plug into the earphone jack. The amplified speaker needs a second cable (again, it’s actually a pair of wires) that are attached to a power source like a lithium-Ion battery pack that will supply 12 volts. This power cable usually culminates in two stripped wires-it is not prewired to a plug so you would need to attach whatever type of plug your external battery takes. (That’s another reason for suggesting a passive external speaker, you stated you were looking for an external speaker that did not require any soldering to attach the plug… they usually come with the earphone jack plug already attached.

I see in the spec sheet for the Uniden Bearcat BC23A amplified speaker that it requires 15 volts DC. Practically speaking, it’s saying 12 volts DC, like what your car battery will supply. (The 15 volt listing may be aimed at over-the-road truckers whose rigs have a more robust electrical system, but I’m guessing here.) A car’s charging system usually will supply about 13.8 volts DC when charging your car battery so the spec sheet reads 15 volts DC in an attempt to not cause concern about what the 24A amplified speaker needs to see. A 12 volt DC lithium-Ion battery will power the 23A amplified speaker just fine. (They should have listed that specification as 12-15 volts DC.)

doc62

I use a MFJ amplified speaker (uses 12 vdc) with mine. Works great. One thing to remember is that most of these speakers have a mono connector, but the SDS100 has a Stereo plug. To avoid damaging the scanner it is recommended to use a stereo to mono adapter between the radio and the speaker. That's what I did.

Trucker700

Two things, the earphone jack on the SDS100 is wired in such a way that it will accommodate a mono or stereo plug.. it is actually a stereo jack. But, if one were to plug a stereo headset to it, the audio would be in both ears.
The audio is mono. It is split to accommodate both types of headsets and earphones.

Second, the DC voltage rating for the 23A is a maximum voltage. It will work from 11 volts to 15 volts. It will work fine in a automobile or an 18 wheeler.
The electrical system in a big truck is still a 12 volt system. But, most have their batteries ( 4 four 12 volt batteries) wired in parallel to accommodate the load of the starter which draws a lot of current when starting the engine.
A long time ago, there were trucks with 24 volt starting systems and 12 volts was split off that for everything other than the starter which required 24 volts.
James

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
the earphone jack on the SDS100 is wired in such a way that it will accommodate a mono or stereo plug..

A mono plug will physically fit into the scanner's earphone jack, but it's not a good idea to do that. It has long been advised by Uniden NOT to insert a mono plug into any of Uniden's earphone jacks. Doing so will short out half of the audio amplifier and reduce the audio output by quite a bit. To use a device with a mono plug in an earphone jack, a stereo to mono adaptor should be used in the earphone port.

Headphone jacks are stereo on all our scanners. EXT SP jacks are mono.

If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack, 1/2 of the headphone audio circuit will be shorted to ground, resulting in low and/or distorted audio.

Jack is stereo (but both sides are being fed the same signal). Do not plug in a mono jack, it will short out 1/2 the output amplifier.

If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack, you short one side of the audio to ground, which will greatly reduce the amount of audio produced.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Two things, the earphone jack on the SDS100 is wired in such a way that it will accommodate a mono or stereo plug.. it is actually a stereo jack. But, if one were to plug a stereo headset to it, the audio would be in both ears.
The audio is mono. It is split to accommodate both types of headsets and earphones.

Second, the DC voltage rating for the 23A is a maximum voltage. It will work from 11 volts to 15 volts. It will work fine in a automobile or an 18 wheeler.
The electrical system in a big truck is still a 12 volt system. But, most have their batteries ( 4 four 12 volt batteries) wired in parallel to accommodate the load of the starter which draws a lot of current when starting the engine.
A long time ago, there were trucks with 24 volt starting systems and 12 volts was split off that for everything other than the starter which required 24 volts.
James
Redundant

Trucker700

A mono plug will physically fit into the scanner's earphone jack, but it's not a good idea to do that. It has long been advised by Uniden NOT to insert a mono plug into any of Uniden's earphone jacks. Doing so will short out half of the audio amplifier and reduce the audio output by quite a bit. To use a device with a mono plug in an earphone jack, a stereo to mono adaptor should be used in the earphone port.
I stand corrected.
Here's the adapter needed.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are correct, and sorry about the word “passive”… you won’t find it in any adds for speakers. It’s merely a way of distinguishing between a non-amplified speaker (passive) and an amplified speaker (powered).

A “passive” speaker has only one cable (actually it’s a pair of wires) that go to the plug which you plug into the earphone jack. The amplified speaker needs a second cable (again, it’s actually a pair of wires) that are attached to a power source like a lithium-Ion battery pack that will supply 12 volts. This power cable usually culminates in two stripped wires-it is not prewired to a plug so you would need to attach whatever type of plug your external battery takes. (That’s another reason for suggesting a passive external speaker, you stated you were looking for an external speaker that did not require any soldering to attach the plug… they usually come with the earphone jack plug already attached.

I see in the spec sheet for the Uniden Bearcat BC23A amplified speaker that it requires 15 volts DC. Practically speaking, it’s saying 12 volts DC, like what your car battery will supply. (The 15 volt listing may be aimed at over-the-road truckers whose rigs have a more robust electrical system, but I’m guessing here.) A car’s charging system usually will supply about 13.8 volts DC when charging your car battery so the spec sheet reads 15 volts DC in an attempt to not cause concern about what the 24A amplified speaker needs to see. A 12 volt DC lithium-Ion battery will power the 23A amplified speaker just fine. (They should have listed that specification as 12-15 volts DC.)
Thank you for the clarification.

I was sure that based on your description, that was what "passive" was describing. However, I did not go with the BC23A, and instead opted to go with the Uniden BC20. After looking at the spec information, it fits the "passive" description, and had mostly good reviews. I really wanted to eliminate having something that would require another power source and be a little simpler.

Anyways, I appreciate the clarification and advice on that so I can reference if this external speaker turns out to be a dud.

thanks again!

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would provide an update on my external speaker search and solution.

As I had stated in earlier posts, I purchased the Uniden BC20 External speaker, which was not amplified. I received the speaker, and it was absolutely horrible. Actually, it was worse than the Internal speaker on the SDS100. This was at full volume, and trying to adjust the Volume offset, as recommended.

Today, after some reading on different threads, decided to try a whole new suggestion from another thread, on using a soundbar. I purchased the soundbar and a 2 sided 3.5mm audio jack to run to the soundbar ( I will provide the links below to the products for others ). After hooking things up and getting the soundbar powered up, WOW! Amazing sound with the soundbar 1/2 volume and scanner volume turned to max. The soundbar has some Bass/EQ/Treble adjustments, which I am playing around to find my perfect balance, but at stock levels, this thing is amazing, that is when someone doesn't have the MIC against there mouth.

Of course, as previous posts have stated, I can clearly hear now the fact that there is no noise leveling to keep audio at a normal level, especially when someone has the mic against their mouth as I've noticed. But, all that said I am very impressed with the audio and how loud it can be using a soundbar. I did not however use a Bluetooth transmitter, as there wasn't one In-stock, just the double ended 3.5mm audio jack cable, which also works great.

Anyways, thanks to all who have shared their advice and tips. FYI I also learned that a certain major store that I bought it from has to honor the online price if it shows it is sold by them on their website, as it was a $20 difference, between the in-store price and what it showed on their website, In case anyone wasn't aware, as I hadn't been.

Robot or human?

Robot or human?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
By two-sided I assume you mean stereo? And “After hooking things up and getting the soundbar powered up,” I further guess the soundbar requires power? …which makes it an amplified speaker. So any comparisons made between the passive BC20 and the soundbar are moot. It’s like comparing the BC20, a passive speaker, to the BC23, the amplified version of the BC20.

The SDS100 has only one audio output jack, designed for headphones, ear buds or Bluetooth. If the radio did not have a lower maximum volume level at the headphone jack we could damage our hearing if we forget to reduce the volume level first. Uniden decided on previous models that was unacceptable out of concern for our safety. (I’m sure the liability issues were also a driving factor.) So they have “dummied down” the max volume level available at this external jack. Don’t think of this jack as an external speaker jack, rather it is a headphone, earbud jack.

The SDS200 however, has two audio output jacks, one on the front panel and another on the rear. The front one is a reduced max volume level like you have on your SDS100, and again, deliberately designed that way to protect our hearing. The rear jack is not dummied down, designed for external speakers, passive or amplified. (It would have been nice if the SDS100 had both but it doesn’t.)

I run both a passive external speaker and the amplified BC23 with my SDS100, depending upon the environment. If it’s a noisy area, I need the amplification. But with the passive, non-amplified BC20, I did not experience the distortion you mention.

With previous models such as the BCD396XT, where Uniden started to incorporate hearing protection, you could short out the ground on the headphone jack with the antenna ground and get full volume capabilities (two differing ground levels). I used a small gauge wire hammered flat to fit were the ground connection and the jack connections are and got full volume out of the jack. But that doesn’t work with current versions of their scanners, they changed how they reduced the level of audio at the headphone jack.

But alls well that ends well… glad to hear you have solved you problem.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
One of the requests I made after the BCD436 came out was to add a speaker jack on the next handheld as many of us use shoulder speakers to hear better; but of course that didn't happen. So, I put my own speaker jack by the bnc connector and wired it up inside so it would mute the speaker in the scanner when I use a shoulder speaker (aka speaker mic); now I get full volume out of any external speaker I use.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
By two-sided I assume you mean stereo? And “After hooking things up and getting the soundbar powered up,” I further guess the soundbar requires power? …which makes it an amplified speaker. So any comparisons made between the passive BC20 and the soundbar are moot. It’s like comparing the BC20, a passive speaker, to the BC23, the amplified version of the BC20.

The SDS100 has only one audio output jack, designed for headphones, ear buds or Bluetooth. If the radio did not have a lower maximum volume level at the headphone jack we could damage our hearing if we forget to reduce the volume level first. Uniden decided on previous models that was unacceptable out of concern for our safety. (I’m sure the liability issues were also a driving factor.) So they have “dummied down” the max volume level available at this external jack. Don’t think of this jack as an external speaker jack, rather it is a headphone, earbud jack.

The SDS200 however, has two audio output jacks, one on the front panel and another on the rear. The front one is a reduced max volume level like you have on your SDS100, and again, deliberately designed that way to protect our hearing. The rear jack is not dummied down, designed for external speakers, passive or amplified. (It would have been nice if the SDS100 had both but it doesn’t.)

I run both a passive external speaker and the amplified BC23 with my SDS100, depending upon the environment. If it’s a noisy area, I need the amplification. But with the passive, non-amplified BC20, I did not experience the distortion you mention.

With previous models such as the BCD396XT, where Uniden started to incorporate hearing protection, you could short out the ground on the headphone jack with the antenna ground and get full volume capabilities (two differing ground levels). I used a small gauge wire hammered flat to fit were the ground connection and the jack connections are and got full volume out of the jack. But that doesn’t work with current versions of their scanners, they changed how they reduced the level of audio at the headphone jack.

But alls well that ends well… glad to hear you have solved you problem.

Thanks for the reply, and information.

By two-sided I assume you mean stereo?
Correct, the cord I used, and also attached a link to is a double sided 3.5 mm audio jack ( Stereo plug ) on each side for connecting to both the scanner and sound bar.

“After hooking things up and getting the soundbar powered up,” I further guess the soundbar requires power?
Yes, You are correct on this as well.

…which makes it an amplified speaker. So any comparisons made between the passive BC20 and the soundbar are moot. It’s like comparing the BC20, a passive speaker, to the BC23, the amplified version of the BC20.
So, I apologize if it sounded like I was trying in anyway to compare the BC20 External speaker to a Soundbar in any form of a technical aspect, in regards to saying the two operate in the same manner. This is not at all what I was trying to compare it to. I simply was saying that the BC20 was junk to me trying to use on an SDS100. Maybe it does work better on the SDS200, with the appropriate setup/audio jack. I don't know. Again, Just stated my conflicts and outcomes to help someone else new to this, as all the posts I read are really to a professional users direction and understanding, Or just go without any follow up as to what worked, and what did not. But, you are correct, they are in fact two different types (Amplified vs. Passive).

he SDS100 has only one audio output jack, designed for headphones, ear buds or Bluetooth. If the radio did not have a lower maximum volume level at the headphone jack we could damage our hearing if we forget to reduce the volume level first

I have read this in a few threads, But I do thank you for the understanding. This however does not surprise me in anyway. The world we live in has to put a warning label on a coffee cup, the the contents are hot. So no surprise about the audio level settings.

Anyways, Thank you for the reply, and advice.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity I ordered a 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter and tried it on both my SDS100 and BCD325P2. I ran both into a Motorola SSN4005A via a 3.5mm mono connector.

On the SDS audio was both muted and distorted with the adapter in place. On the 325P2, there was no appreciable difference.

I think did the same experiment with a Motorola HSN4039A and then SSN4020A with the same results. Actually, on the HSN4039A the results were worse. Maybe not enough audio output from the SDS to drive those speakers.

Did I get a bad adapter from Amazon? Possible I guess.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity I ordered a 3.5mm stereo to mono adapter and tried it on both my SDS100 and BCD325P2. I ran both into a Motorola SSN4005A via a 3.5mm mono connector.

On the SDS audio was both muted and distorted with the adapter in place. On the 325P2, there was no appreciable difference.

I think did the same experiment with a Motorola HSN4039A and then SSN4020A with the same results. Actually, on the HSN4039A the results were worse. Maybe not enough audio output from the SDS to drive those speakers.

Did I get a bad adapter from Amazon? Possible I guess.
I wish I could help answer this and find a solution for you. Unfortunately, I'm new to all this and had a bit of a time trying to find something that worked.

It definitely sounds like you have a good start and the components you are wanting to work with. I tried to link what I ultimately used to a previous thread of mine after trying another setup first. Not sure if it worked and the links attached, but if not and you would like to see what I used for reference, I would be be glad to reply and share those again with you.

Good luck, and I hope someone can help you figure out your questions.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
One of the requests I made after the BCD436 came out was to add a speaker jack on the next handheld as many of us use shoulder speakers to hear better; but of course that didn't happen. So, I put my own speaker jack by the bnc connector and wired it up inside so it would mute the speaker in the scanner when I use a shoulder speaker (aka speaker mic); now I get full volume out of any external speaker I use.
You wired the new speaker jack to the internal speaker, which does not have the restricted max volume circuitry Uniden incorporates for the stock headphone jack. Way to go! You got the additional volume and Uniden’s liability remains protected against frivolous lawsuits.

And those who are not adept when it comes to bench work can always have your mod installed by another radio repair shop or friend who is handy with a soldering iron.

As for these radio repair shops, do a google search for Icom Radio Repair Shops. I believe there are two here in the states, one in Virginia and another in or near Chicago. I used the Chicago shop when I had a Yeasu 220MHz handheld amateur radio modified. They installed a toggle switch and an additional PL board that allowed me to choose between the stock PL board and the newly installed PL board. That board had a PL tone whose frequency was between a couple of the standard PL frequencies. It allowed the owner of the repeater to privatize the repeater’s use. If you wanted to access his repeater you had to contact the him in order to access. He had ordered up a bunch of these custom boards and would install them for you, but only on mobile/base radios. If you had a handheld like I did you had to send it off to the repair shop for the mod… there just wasn’t much room inside the case which made it too difficult for him to do the mod. (The board needed to be installed in such a manner that it didn’t interfere with the circuitry of the radio, so the placement of the board was a concern.) The mod worked for the most part unless you were very close to the repeater and used one of the standard PL frequencies next to his custom frequency… in which case, his repeater wasn’t quite tight enough and recognized the standard PL frequency.

Ubbe

It's the same text in both the SDS100 and SDS100E manuals about being careful not using lower than 32 ohm earphones as it could damage your hearing. So it doesn't seem like there is a protection circuit in place. I have the SDS100E and have only used a stereo plug and left channel and ground to my 2 ohm speaker but now I tested the other channel and when I connect left and right together I get noticeable increase in speaker sound level.

I then tried a 8 ohm speaker and it had much lower volume and also sounded distorted. With the 2 ohm speaker it sounds clean and loud up to volume 12 and then up at max 15 is starts to sound a slight distorsion but still much cleaner than the internal speaker at volume 6.
This is so loud that it must be usable in any vehicle if the speaker are directed towards the listener.

When there's only 4 volts available in the scanner to drive a speaker it will clip before it can give any loud sound to a high ohm speaker so it's crucial to use a low ohm one to get more power before it clips at 4 volt. I listened a long while at volume 15 and it doesn't go into protect mode due to high temperature or too much power.

/Ubbe