BC780XLT Software with cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragtime88

Sorry but, "modem" cable and "serial" cable are the same thing -- or, *were* the same thing when people used external modems for computer dialup. You'll find that serial cables sometimes carry the old label designation. They're also called RS232c, but I think that's strictly the 25-pin configuration. Most of the pins/wires in a 25-pin unit were never used, so 9-pin emerged. Even in a 9-pin, many are unused (except with synchronous modems). Cheers. --G

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ragtime88 said:
Sorry but, "modem" cable and "serial" cable are the same thing -- or, *were* the same thing when people used external modems for computer dialup. You'll find that serial cables sometimes carry the old label designation. They're also called RS232c, but I think that's strictly the 25-pin configuration. Most of the pins/wires in a 25-pin unit were never used, so 9-pin emerged. Even in a 9-pin, many are unused (except with synchronous modems). Cheers. --G
And yet the link you provided is not a serial cable (in the common usage), but in fact a null modem cable (that will not work for use on the scanner subjected here). Who is the confused one?

Sure, a serial cable was used to connect a modem to a computer; in the approximately 39 years I have been dealing with computers, I have never heard a such a serial cable called a "modem cable" in dealing with PC's. IBM 36's, 38's yes (they were not RS232 cables); but a PC never.

ragtime88

Seller calls it a "serial file transfer cable" and actually doesn't use the words modem or null-modem. Yep, there's a difference and you may well be right. I haven't hooked this up yet, but I'm betting $15 that it works. The null-modem cables were bi-directional (you could hook either end to either appliance). In a true modem cable (I think?) one end had to be at the computer and the other end at the modem. I'm betting -- and I apologize for jumping in on this thread ahead of actually testing it -- that the PC to radio connection requires a directionless (null-modem, file transfer, serial) cable. At BestBuy and OfficeMax, their cable charts had these labeled as "modem" cables. My connection will be a PC to BC898T. I'll let you know when I get it hooked up.

Vendor also says, "State-of-the-art wiring design ensures 100% compatibility with all devices" which I don't necessarily believe. :)

Cheers. --G

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ragtime88 said:
Seller calls it a "serial file transfer cable" and actually doesn't use the words modem or null-modem. Yep, there's a difference and you may well be right. I haven't hooked this up yet, but I'm betting $15 that it works. The null-modem cables were bi-directional (you could hook either end to either appliance). In a true modem cable (I think?) one end had to be at the computer and the other end at the modem. I'm betting -- and I apologize for jumping in on this thread ahead of actually testing it -- that the PC to radio connection requires a directionless (null-modem, file transfer, serial) cable. At BestBuy and OfficeMax, their cable charts had these labeled as "modem" cables. My connection will be a PC to BC898T. I'll let you know when I get it hooked up.

Vendor also says, "State-of-the-art wiring design ensures 100% compatibility with all devices" which I don't necessarily believe. :)
Well everything you say here is correct (except for the radio connection bit). A null-modem cable (or crossover cable, or file transfer cable) has the same connection on both ends; hence it can hook to two computers so that they can communicate via the RS232 ports. This was a popular item before every computer came with a LAN port, but really is superfluous in this day and age. A serial cable is just an extension cable, it will have a female end (plugs into the computer) and a male end (plugs into various devices like radios, modems, etc.), all it does is extend the RS232 port from the back of the computer to whatever device you are going to hook it to. I think that you will find when you get your $15 cable, it will have female connections on both ends and then you will be looking for a gender-changer. After you get the gender changer, you will find it will not work because it is a cross-over cable. But at least you will have a file transfer cable, in case you ever come across two computers that you want to transfer data between that have serial ports and no LAN cards.

CVPI4Ever

Can someone link me to a cable so I can be done? Y'all got me all mixed up.

Also, can I download the software, burn it to a disk and install it to my laptop?

ragtime88

My memory is returning. Forcing "direction" in a serial cable is done by having plugs of different sexes. Directionless cables have two female ends. But, right you are (having now looked at the sockets on PC and radio), I need a cable with female on one end and male on the other -- a "true" modem cable?! And again right, off the shelf sex changers won't help. Yikes, where's my soldering gun? Sorry to have disrupted the ordinary flow of good advice, although maybe the distinction will save somebody else $15. Cheers. --G

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CVPI4Ever said:
Can someone link me to a cable so I can be done? Y'all got me all mixed up.

Also, can I download the software, burn it to a disk and install it to my laptop?
<sigh>
See this post in the current thread where I already answered this question.

As for the download/burn/install questions, that is a question you need to contact Butel to get the answer, I am unfamiliar with how their software is delivered.

Turbo68

Hello Give Uniden a call & they should be able to help you with the cable or else look up the scannermaster website and as for software I use WinScan-780 and Scancat Gold and they are both Excellent to use and the advantage you got with Scancat Gold you can use it on about 80 different Radio models and it works out cheaper than having a lot of different software for Radios.

Regards Lino (Melbourne Australia)

CVPI4Ever

I just found out you can download it, burn it and make multiple copies of the software.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Both RS and Staples seem to want a lot of your money for something that should never cost that much. I notice that the one you linked (from Staples) is 10ft long. If you can live with 6ft, go to their rival, Office Depot for this one; at less than $5 you can hardly beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.