Bc796 or 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohanowski

Premium Subscriber
I currently own the 796d and it works great for me. I also own a 396xt which is a great portable radio. I recently bought a remote head for it and a possible purchase of a 996xt as I know my next vehicle will not fit a dash mounted scanner. I recently saw a pretty decent price for a 796 remote head scanner so my question is are there major differences between the 796 and 996 as I am looking at a definite remote mounted scanner in the near future. I am scanning mostly conventional and ct state pd digital.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When comparing the 796D and 996XT, I think the 996 is a lot easier to operate. With the 796 it is kind of touchy when you are scanning banks and then want to scan trunk lists.

If you have the 396XT, your programming files will easily transfer to the 996. So if you make programming changes, once is all it takes versus having to do it twice (once for the 796 and the other for the 396).

The 796 (if I remember correctly) is a 1,000 channel radio. While that seemed like a lot when it first came out so long ago, with trunked radio systems of today, it's a whole different story. The 996 has a larger memory.

If you do much traveling, the 996 has the GPS location based scanning feature which the 796 does not.

While my 796 receives conventional digital systems and non-simulcast digital trunked systems well, I haven't had much luck with it on simulcast digital systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.