BC996XT PROGRAMMING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would toss this out to the group ...
I am trying to program my BC996XT using the ARC-XT PRO software.

Currently I am using a small PC laptop with Windows 7 and everything is working OK on this Scanner.
However I am looking at changing laptops ... but have a slight problem I need help with.

I am using a USB cable (GIGAWARE) from the laptop ... (the other end is a Male 9 pin )
NOTE: the Front programming slot on my 996XT has not worked for awhile now, so I have been using the Male 9 pin on the back of the 996XT

I have a second cable attached to the 1st one (since the 2-male ends do not match up in the rear of the 996XT)

1st Question can I get a Double ended Female 9 Pin Adaptor so I can plug into the Scanner?
Does it have to be compatable with anything?

To improvise I am using a 2nd cable ... STARTECH SCNM 9ft with Female connectors on Both Ends.
I have been using the Baud Rate of 115200 on the rear programming port on the 996XT

Like I said it is working OK on the old laptop.
The new laptop is a HP with the Windows 10 OS
When I hook up everything as before I get the following error message:
"Software has not detected your Scanner"

2nd Question ...
Since everything was working before ...
Would it be my Cable Hookup?
Could it be Windows 10 OS
How do I free up a USB port if it is Busy?

Suggestions / Opinions

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thought I would toss this out to the group ...
I am trying to program my BC996XT using the ARC-XT PRO software.

Currently I am using a small PC laptop with Windows 7 and everything is working OK on this Scanner.
However I am looking at changing laptops ... but have a slight problem I need help with.

I am using a USB cable (GIGAWARE) from the laptop ... (the other end is a Male 9 pin )
NOTE: the Front programming slot on my 996XT has not worked for awhile now, so I have been using the Male 9 pin on the back of the 996XT

I have a second cable attached to the 1st one (since the 2-male ends do not match up in the rear of the 996XT)

1st Question can I get a Double ended Female 9 Pin Adaptor so I can plug into the Scanner?
Does it have to be compatable with anything?
Take a look at this one:

Or, if it needs to be a null modem adapter:

To improvise I am using a 2nd cable ... STARTECH SCNM 9ft with Female connectors on Both Ends.
I have been using the Baud Rate of 115200 on the rear programming port on the 996XT

Like I said it is working OK on the old laptop.
The new laptop is a HP with the Windows 10 OS
When I hook up everything as before I get the following error message:
"Software has not detected your Scanner"

2nd Question ...
Since everything was working before ...
Would it be my Cable Hookup?
Could it be Windows 10 OS
How do I free up a USB port if it is Busy?

See this page from the Wiki:

Drop down to the section labeled "Generic USB to RS-232 converters"
Read the comments in the section that includes the Uniden USB-1 cable.

With Windows 10, the original USB-1 cables no longer work. Windows 10 does not support the driver needed for the converter to work.
If your Gigaware USB to Serial cable has one of the older chips in it, such as the USB-1 did, Windows 10 probably is not using the driver it needs. There are a couple of suggestions there for where to find drivers that you might be able to try, but if that does not work, you'd need to get a new USB to Serial adapter, with one of the chips that Windows 10 accepts. I suspect this is your problem, since your older laptop, with Windows 7, does work, whereas Windows 10, in the new laptop, is clueless.

Algod

I had the same problem when my Win7 PC died and I bought a Win10 machine. What was I to do with my serial cable. I bought a usb-1 cable, and went to Prolific and downloaded the PL2303 driver. The extension of the driver name was something like HXT. The last operating system listed I think was Win Vista, or Win8, but it's been fine for several months.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
programming is done using the front port on the scanner and a usb cable, not the rear port. my windows 10 machone runs my 996xt's 24/7/365 with no problems on proscan.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had the same problem when my Win7 PC died and I bought a Win10 machine. What was I to do with my serial cable. I bought a usb-1 cable, and went to Prolific and downloaded the PL2303 driver. The extension of the driver name was something like HXT. The last operating system listed I think was Win Vista, or Win8, but it's been fine for several months.
Uniden USB-1 Cable
Important Windows 8 and 10 Information
The current Prolific Driver, as delivered through their web site and through Windows Update for Windows 8 and 10, will not work with older USB-1 cables that use the PL2303HXA chipset. To use these drivers you must have a current USB-1 cable that uses the PL2303HXD chipset. If your cable was bought before 2013 you need to buy a new cable.

Reactions: wtp

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
programming is done using the front port on the scanner and a usb cable, not the rear port. my windows 10 machone runs my 996xt's 24/7/365 with no problems on proscan.
Properly set up, you can use the rear serial port connection instead of the front port. Front has to be used for firmware updates, but rear can be used for GPS and programming.
Uniden USB-1 Cable
Important Windows 8 and 10 Information
The current Prolific Driver, as delivered through their web site and through Windows Update for Windows 8 and 10, will not work with older USB-1 cables that use the PL2303HXA chipset. To use these drivers you must have a current USB-1 cable that uses the PL2303HXD chipset. If your cable was bought before 2013 you need to buy a new cable.
Note the OP's comment that the front cable port is not working, and apparently has not been for a while.
So, a USB-1 will not work unless the unit is repaired. The rear com port works with her older Win 7 machine, but not with Windows 10.

Comments on the driver issue are in the suggested Wiki page, "Connecting scanners via USB.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here is my programming setup for all my scanners that have the RS 232/DB9 programming port:

1. USB to Serial Adapter with the HXD chipset (this chipset became necessary with Windows 8)

2. Gender adapter Female/Female

3. Null Modem Adapter

4. RS232 cable to programming port on scanner

It ain't pretty but it works.

If you get that USB to Serial Adapter, be sure to download and install the driver BEFORE you attempt to connect the adapter. Very important.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Suggestions / Opinions

Here's another option:

Works fine with Windows 10. This uses an FTDI chip (instead of Prolific), but as ofd8001 states, you need to load the driver before you plug in the cable. What's nice about this one is that it's a female DB9 and has a null-modem built in, so nothing else is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.