BCD 436HP Reset help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas440

Hello all,

I'm very new to the scanner world, I'm retired and have had a few old analog scanners about 30 years ago or so, and they were very easy to use. Back in the day before digital and trunking scanner use was fairly simple just punch in the frequencies from the book and listen. Things have really changed over the years and the new technology is amazing. I'm really impressed at what we can do nowdays in electronics.

I'm a ham radio operator since 1976, and have tinkered with radios for a long time. I decided since I'm retired and the weather here is cold and snowy, that I would buy a new scanner and listen to Public Safety etc, to pass the time when I'm not doing anything.

I bought the Uniden BCD 436HP hand held scanner, and I looked at some Youtube videos on how to get it going. There are a lot of good videos out there, but I think I put in all sorts of information that is not needed to do what I want to do. Basically all I want to do is listen to the police, fire, ems, and so on in my area. I like to hear whats going on as anyone who buys a scanner does.

I created a favorite and gave it a number like the video showed and the scanner is picking up transmissions, but it's also scanning areas that are of no interest to me. I am in Ohio and I wanted to just set it to scan my county and a few surrounding counties and I set the zip code and the range as the video showed on Youtube but my scanner is looking for business radio, law firms, and other things and it's silent a lot because I dont detect any activity on those areas.

What I would like to do is reset my scanner to i'ts factory settings just like it came out of the box all pre programmed and I can start over. Is there a key combination that I can reset this 436HP with?

I like the scanner a lot, and I put a Radio Shack 20-283 800 Mhz antenna on it because I also saw some videos on after market antenna comparisons..

The one thing I don't like is that the 436HP has to be off to charge, and it has to be hooked to my computer USB port to charge it up unless I go buy some AA rechargeable batteries and a charger, it will not charge while it's plugged in and playing so I have it off and on my laptop to charge up and thats been all night and still not a full charge. I also cannot change the backlight color like I could on the BCD 396XT that I returned to get this one The 396XT did not have the ability to have your zip code put in and has a lot less features, I bought one on the advice of the sales guy at the store but after 3 days I took it back and bought this 436HP which is so much nicer.

So, any help in resetting this would be appreciated. Theres a lot of great information in the Radio Reference forums here, I have been a member for over a year but all I basically do is look and read .

I'd like to start over on this 436, and then enter my zip code, the range I want, and just have it do my local area if thats possible. I understand I may need to go into a menu and turn OFF a lot of things I don't want to hear and thats fine .

Thank you in advance, this is a great scanner and a great place to learn about them.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
This is not a factory reset. It sounds like you might have other Service Types set that you don't want to listen too.

1. Main Menu
2. Select Service Types
3. Select Service Types by pressing down on the top knob (vol/seq) for off or on.
4. Twisting the knob moves the selection up or down.
5. Hit Menu button back to scan.

Also, you may not want to to charge your batteries in the scanner. People on the internets say bad things can happen.

SCPD

QRT
Start over

Menu>set scanlists>set all to OFF

Just put your zipcode in and set your range,It will ask do you want to turn on full database you say E for yes.
Set your range for 1 mile.
Turn on the service types you want.

TO BRING IT BACK TO DAY 1 :

Just put another sd card in .....

Or just erase the sd card you are using then put it back in the scanner and try again with sentinel.

Voyager

Or, just write to it with Sentinel and click the ERASE FL option. Make sure any FLs you don't want are deleted in Sentinel, too.

This may be the easiest way to remove them.

Nicholas440

Thank you for all the suggestions. I downloaded the Sentinel software, and put on the latest database, and also removed all the settings and favorite lists I created that had a lot of services in them I didn't want.

After all that I just entered my zip code and set the range, and turned off services I did not want and it seems to be working well.

I also was wondering about how long does it take to charge the standard batteries that came with it ? I had the unit on my computer for over 12 hours and it still said Normal Charging in the display. Somewhere around my junk drawer I know I have an old Ni MH recharger for AA rechargeables , I just might dig it out and charge these things with the charger instead of my computer, I do know that USB charging is very very slow even on my cell phone. I'm also wondering how long the scanner will run on the batteries, approximately, my old Pro 43 took 6 AA and it ran for weeks on batteries before needing a charge...(used it daily)

Also I am going to assume that since the manual says nothing about a Backlight color other than the white that white is the only backlight selection there is. I see the backlilght timing, and contrast but nothing about color.

Thank you all again for your help it's greatly appreciated...

budevans

I also was wondering about how long does it take to charge the standard batteries that came with it ? I had the unit on my computer for over 12 hours and it still said Normal Charging in the display. Somewhere around my junk drawer I know I have an old Ni MH recharger for AA rechargeables , I just might dig it out and charge these things with the charger instead of my computer, I do know that USB charging is very very slow even on my cell phone. I'm also wondering how long the scanner will run on the batteries, approximately, my old Pro 43 took 6 AA and it ran for weeks on batteries before needing a charge...(used it daily)

Also I am going to assume that since the manual says nothing about a Backlight color other than the white that white is the only backlight selection there is. I see the backlilght timing, and contrast but nothing about color.

Thank you all again for your help it's greatly appreciated...

Times vary based on your settings and the activity in your area. I did several tests with my 436 and I get roughly 8 hours and 40 minutes per charge, using a smart charger (LaCrosse 900).

Regarding the Backlight, there are no color options. White is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.