BCD352P2 Display Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benkarl

Hi,

I'm basically completely new to the scanner world (only previous experience is I remember my father owning one around the late 70s or early 80s). I just bought a Uniden BCD325P2 and unboxed it tonight. When I put the batteries in and turned it on, the screen is extremely distorted and basically unreadable. It has "streaks" running up and down the screen and other distortions that change as the display changes (so not in consistent locations).

I managed to figure out mostly by guesswork where the settings menu and adjust contrast is but changing contrast that didn't help. I found something on the internet about resetting it by holding several keys down and turning it on and that didn't help. I've tried running it off two different sets of batteries (including the included ones) as well as plugging it into a computer with the included USB cable to run off that power so I don't think it's a battery or power issue.

I can't seem to find anything on this forum about the issue. The company website has nothing. I also couldn't find anything about this searching the internet.

I've attached two examples. One is what I see when I press "Menu" and the other is what I see when the scanner has turned on and is just waiting for me to do something. I think the latter is "Scan Mode" but I can't read anything else on the screen.

Is this a known problem of some kind that I can fix or did I get a bad unit?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 67

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Defective. Call the dealer where you bought it and arrange to swap it out with the dealer. Or, if the dealer insists, it goes in to Uniden for warrenty work.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Return it to the seller in exchange for a different one, new out of the box defects should not need to be sent to the manufacturer for repair.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Thats interesting, never see that before and useless needless to say so i would return it or send it in for repair to uniden under warranty.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If it was mine, I would suspect a loose connection that might have happened in shipping. I would open it up and gently push in any connectors I see. If that works though could it happen again?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Two things to try before returning it:
1. Reset - Turn off the scanner. While pressing the 2, 9, and HOLD buttons, turn on the scanner.
2. Reload the firmware.

Benkarl

I did try the reset thing with 2, 9 and hold while turning on the scanner and that didn't work last night. I didn't try anything with the firmware.

Anyway, I saw the first few messages this morning about it probably being a defective unit so I initiated a return through Amazon. They're supposed to ship me another one to arrive tomorrow. Then, when I went to pack it up, I turned it on just for one final look and the screen looked just fine. I don't know why this is. I did leave it connected to the computer overnight but I don't see why that would make a difference when I tried it with two different sets of batteries and when it was connected to the computer. I think I'm going to go through with the return anyway on the theory that it could start malfunctioning again tomorrow for all I know and I'd rather have a new unit.

Assuming that one works, I'll need to find the software and figure out how to program it.

Thanks.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Depending what you need to program, Freescan works great.. Also, Proscan, which is what I use to program my 325P2.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I did try the reset thing with 2, 9 and hold while turning on the scanner and that didn't work last night. I didn't try anything with the firmware.

Anyway, I saw the first few messages this morning about it probably being a defective unit so I initiated a return through Amazon. They're supposed to ship me another one to arrive tomorrow. Then, when I went to pack it up, I turned it on just for one final look and the screen looked just fine. I don't know why this is. I did leave it connected to the computer overnight but I don't see why that would make a difference when I tried it with two different sets of batteries and when it was connected to the computer. I think I'm going to go through with the return anyway on the theory that it could start malfunctioning again tomorrow for all I know and I'd rather have a new unit.

Assuming that one works, I'll need to find the software and figure out how to program it.

Thanks.
While it did 'look OK' when you tried it one more time, I still would proceed with the return. Otherwise, if the screen went south again, say a month or so later, you're only option would be to send to Uniden for a warranty repair. Better off to proceed with the return/replacement via Amazon.
Depending what you need to program, Freescan works great.. Also, Proscan, which is what I use to program my 325P2.
I occasionally use FreeSCAN for my 325P2 if taking it outside my metro area. But when I'm in my normal area, I use ProScan, since FreeSCAN does not correctly support DMR & NXDN. (I have some public safety agencies locally that use those formats.)

Download FreeSCAN here:

There is a FreeSCAN user guide in the Wiki.

ProScan cab be found here:

As N9JCQ noted, it is not a free program, but does have a 30 day free trial so that you can try before you buy. ProScan has a lot more features than FreeSCAN, and supports a number of other Uniden scanners in addition to the 325P2.

Chris0516

Thanks.
Since you said Amazon. I am curious how it was packaged. They are cheaper. But Jeff Bezos & Co.(Amazon), are not scanner officiandos' and, probably packaged it a regular transistor radio. Not thinking twice about what they were doing.

N9JIG

Sheriff

Thanks.

I think you are doing the right thing returning the first, if you pay $400 you expect it to work properly. I think it might be a ribbon connector at fault and perhaps when the radio warms up it causes part of it to expand and complete an otherwise poor connection.

As for programming software the two main options are ProScan and ARC-XT. FreeScan also works but is no longer supported and has issues with DMR, so if DMR is in your future consider that. Both ProScan and ARC-XT have free trials give each a shot and see which you like.

Benkarl

Since you said Amazon. I am curious how it was packaged. They are cheaper. But Jeff Bezos & Co.(Amazon), are not scanner officiandos' and, probably packaged it a regular transistor radio. Not thinking twice about what they were doing.
Heh, it was in the factory packaging and dropped in what was basically a thick paper bag. Not even one of those bubble wrap envelopes. Both the original and replacement came that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.