BCD396T cable interface problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley28

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD396T that has software version 1.13.17 and my City and County has rebanded so I purchased a USB-1 cable from scannermaster to upgrade, for this software version you first have to update to get an ESN and register with Uniden before you can update any further. I have installed the driver and the ESN updater on my computer, the problem I keep having is that when I go to update the scanner the computer keeps asking you to tell it what com port you want to use (no port number shows) then when you try to bypass the screen shows improper integir and will not start download, since I have the correct USB and have downloaded the driver for it should it not override the com port issue?

Thanks for any help you can give

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Well in Windows 7 you can just go to Devices and Printers and look for the USB driver then check it's properties to see what COM port it's hooked into. You can even change it with a bit of care. You can do that with Vista with a bit more trouble and probably with XP as well. If you are not sure which USB driver is the one then you just pull the usb cable and see which driver disappears when you do it.

Harley28

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information Ed, I did try that and the firmware still will not begin downloading it just showsthe same message as before.

Thanks again

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information Ed, I did try that and the firmware still will not begin downloading it just shows the same message as before.

You might try another cable - I have the 64 bit version of the OS and the first adaptor I bought just wouldn't work and I had to buy another, which did. This was with a 346XT which is basically the same as the 396 except it won't do digital.

My first try with upgrading the firmware failed too, so I didn't try again untill after I had Freescan installed and working so I knew the cable was OK. Then it succeeded. Really though, USB has been around long enough so Uniden should have moved to using a proper usb port in the first place. I think they did do that with the Home Patrol.

Ed

Harley28

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information Ed, I will try a new USB, right now I have 4 scanners but due to recent rebanding in my area they are just paper weights at the current time.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Rick

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you checked Device Manager, which COM port did it indicate was being used by the USB adapter?

Harley28

Premium Subscriber
It showed it was on com port # 4, it appears the cable is being recognized by the computer now, however the download that scannermaster sent will not fully download, it gets half way finished and shows error so I think that may be the problem, the download they sent is for the windows driver to let cable talk to the computer, I did try toload it with firewall off but it still has the same problem.

richardc0077

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My bcd396t

i have just got this scanner and it came with a usb to usb cable but the computer will not recognize it.

i have down loaded the software from uniden but did not get a key.

i have sent a email to uniden Aust

any ideas

Many thanks

Richard C

Harley28

Premium Subscriber
Richard,

Make sure you unzip the instaler file, then check your driver manager on your computer and see which port you are plugging the radio into, if you see a yellow triangle the it means you have to install that driver. You will need to download earlier firmware to get ESN and checksum, then register the information with uniden, you then will get a key number to download the newest firmware.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.