BCD396T - Control Knob Hack?

Would you be interested in ordering a replacement encoder for your BCD396T?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
I found the encoder used in the BCD396T! It's made by Tocos, and I believe it is part number TP70N00AE20.

Now that I have the specifications, I'll try to find a nice replacement. :D

Rotational Torque seems to be the key here, since the encoders on both radios have ~20 detents.

The rotational torque on the BCD396T encoder is between 0.001475124294 and 0.018070272608 Lb. * Ft. (2-24.5mN·m)
The rotational torque on the BCT-15 encoder is between 0.001475124294 and 0.013276118651 Lb. * Ft. (2-18mN·m)

Both ranges seem rather large, though the latter proves why controlling the BCT-15 is easier!

The best part so far - Tocos allows modification of their encoders using the attached combinations chart! Hopefully they will care about selling in small quantities. Is anyone else interested in ordering a replacement encoder from Tocos, or a vendor of theirs? I've created a poll, which may help create a quantity discount. PM me if you don't want "Big Brother" knowing about your mod!

Thanks,
nebj00la

Attachments

• TP70N00AE20.jpg
    TP70N00AE20.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 644
  • Numbering.jpg
    Numbering.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 807
Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
I've found a distributor who can order the encoders (00 combination) with a 5 piece minimum order. Once I test one of them, I will post an update.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So, by Paul's logic, putting in a discriminator tap voids the scanner's Part 15 certification, and using it is illegal!!!

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
So, by Paul's logic, putting in a discriminator tap voids the scanner's Part 15 certification, and using it is illegal!!!

OK, then mine's not real! :D It's just random wiring and components for a nice look.

dropkick

How about

While on the topic of mods... how about a *software* option to reverse the behavior of the knob, so you don't have to push down to control volume? I can't count the number of times I have to hand wrestle this thing to change the volume level with one hand. Really, do people change talkgroups more than volume??

LordJ

The tap is not changing the radio with regards to how it operates. It is simply extracting audio from it. No legal implications there...At least that's what I'd go with...

mancow

Database Admin
Maybe this has been mentioned already but... the knob on the 15 is two or three times the diameter of the 396 and it has fine grooves for grip. Could that make it feel as if it's so much easier to turn when it actually isn't? Or, is the main goal here to get rid of the loud snaps the 396 produces?

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this has been mentioned already but... the knob on the 15 is two or three times the diameter of the 396 and it has fine grooves for grip. Could that make it feel as if it's so much easier to turn when it actually isn't? Or, is the main goal here to get rid of the loud snaps the 396 produces?

The encoder "end" is actually the same size with different rotational torque (which causes the snapping). The knobs are different, but this has no impact on how the encoder functions. Take a look at the encoder pictures I posted, and it should make more sense.

Last edited:

Who cares about FCC certification, I'm in Canada...doesn't apply to me.

Modding is fun and educational. I appreciate very much all the efforts on this mod so far and I hope it is successful. Good luck.

FWIW.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
I have attached an MP3 recording of the differences between no rotational torque and the rotational torque of the stock endoer. While there is a noticable difference, it's up to you whether or not it's worth opening your radio.

Personally, I'm somewhat satisfied. It's definitely quieter, but only a little easier to turn. Hear it for yourself!

Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• Encoder.Difference.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 113

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
The hack is complete. I've made the final modifications to the Tocos encoder, which included shaving off the end with a dremel to make it fit in the BCD396T.

I've been using the modified control knob hack for about 2 weeks, and I am no longer annoyed by the noise or roughness. Using the new encoder, which has less rotational torque than the original to begin with, I've noticed I can slightly pull on the knob while turning it to make it even easier to operate. This makes it almost completely silent.

Let me know if your interested in ordering the replacement, since each order requires a 5 piece minimum.

Thanks for your interest in this topic!

nebj00la

Status
Not open for further replies.