BCD396XT audio thru ext. speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOf674

Is there something i'm missing? It seems when I run the audio thru an external speaker the output seems cut or less strong? Could this be a mono vs stereo issue as i have an extension line to speaker from the radio, but even when connected directly the audio is barely recognizable...

Are there any mods or possibly any firmware updates that will enhance audio output?

I sent back the remote head and the classic 396 for service...hopefully it will be back before too long....

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I've seen some other threads about this and the general consensus was that the external jack is designed for an earplug and doesn't have the output to power anything else unless you use an amplified speaker.

Mike

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
My Thread

I have an open thread on this very issue.

1) Undien has changed the earphone jack from mono to stereo.
2) When you plug in a device such as the shadow earpeice or lapel speaker, the output level is greatly diminished.
3) I purchased a "stereo to mono" adapter and it did not help the problem.
4) Others posted on my thread that the earhone jack functioned fine on thier 396XT's.
5) I've replaced the shadow earpeice and with no improvement.
6) I sent the 396XT back for a replacement, which I should have back by 11/25/09. If the same problem is present, them I can only conclude that the problem is impedance matching. The 396XT has an output impedance of 22 ohm's. The earpiece and lapel speaker are 8 ohms. Perhaps the mis-match is causing the problem.

It was interesting that the Uniden product manager that follows these threads was unaware of the jack change, even though it's listed in the manual. I am hoping that he brings it to the attention of Uniden and fix can be made.

P.S. If you want to use the earphone and have a strong level, use a set of iPod earbuds. They seem to work just fine.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber

2) When you plug in a device such as the shadow earpeice or lapel speaker, the output level is greatly diminished.
4) Others posted on my thread that the earhone jack functioned fine on thier 396XT's.
6) I sent the 396XT back for a replacement, which I should have back by 11/25/09. If the same problem is present, them I can only conclude that the problem is impedance matching. The 396XT has an output impedance of 22 ohm's. The earpiece and lapel speaker are 8 ohms. Perhaps the mis-match is causing the problem.

It was interesting that the Uniden product manager that follows these threads was unaware of the jack change, even though it's listed in the manual. I am hoping that he brings it to the attention of Uniden and fix can be made.

P.S. If you want to use the earphone and have a strong level, use a set of iPod earbuds. They seem to work just fine.

Is the jack stereo on all the 396XT's or did they just start doing that? How about the 996XT's. First I've heard of this.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

All my unidens since the 245 have been "stereo" in the sense that they will be heard in both ears with stereo earbuds. They work equal when using a mono earbud.
That is what will happen when you put an 8 ohm device on a 22 ohm circuit. Not enough current to drive the coil, the volume will be low.

It was interesting that the Uniden product manager that follows these threads was unaware of the jack change, even though it's listed in the manual. I am hoping that he brings it to the attention of Uniden and fix can be made.http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/GeneralPrecautions
This seemes to be how it was designed.

LOf674

amp-ed speaker?

Any recommendations? I'm beginning to think I should have gone for the 996xt...thanks uniden...

W6KRU

This is the only thing I dislike about my 396XT. My external speaker is extremely low in volume when connected to the 396XT but sounds fine connected to my 396T.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried the old "wire trick" like on the RS/GRE products where you wrap it between the "ear piece plug-in and antenna connector??...I don't think you could do this on the 396t without damage to the audio section so i have not tried it on the 396XT...Maybe there is NO diode to cancel out on the Uniden products....This method sure works great on the H/H RS/GRE scanners....

sjlamb

The correct answer to the OP was posted in reply #2. It is a HEADPHONE jack.... not an external speaker jack. The "work-a-round" for an external speaker is either an amplified speaker or tape audio cassette adaptor to route the 396XT's headphone jack output thru your car's stereo system for BOOOOOMMMMING scanner audio.

sjlamb

The correct answer to the OP was posted in reply #2. It is a HEADPHONE jack.... not an external speaker jack. There IS a difference between the two. The "work-a-round" for an external speaker is either an amplified speaker or tape audio cassette adaptor to route the 396XT's headphone jack output thru your car's stereo system for BOOOOOMMMMING scanner audio.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
I use mine on the ipod jack on my car, has plenty of audio, thats why the mobiles are made with higher output, to drive external speakers, and handhelds are made to drive a headphone.

W6KRU

I use mine on the ipod jack on my car, has plenty of audio, thats why the mobiles are made with higher output, to drive external speakers, and handhelds are made to drive a headphone.

Not all handhelds. My 396T drives a non-amplified speaker just fine. The 396XT does not.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Not all handhelds. My 396T drives a non-amplified speaker just fine. The 396XT does not.
That's interesting. The 396T manual says to use a 32 ohm earphone/headset or an amplified speaker. Warns of possible damage to the scanner otherwise.

What is the impedance of the speaker you use?

sjlamb

That's interesting. The 396T manual says to use a 32 ohm earphone/headset or an amplified speaker. Warns of possible damage to the scanner otherwise.

Exactly... why even take the chance on a $500 radio? To save 10 bucks on the upgrade to an amplified speaker, only to end up blowing the radios audio chip in the long haul? Most products work fine....... until they blow up. The cautionary notes in the manual are there for a reason.

Last edited:

hoser147

Has anyone tried the old "wire trick" like on the RS/GRE products where you wrap it between the "ear piece plug-in and antenna connector??...I don't think you could do this on the 396t without damage to the audio section so i have not tried it on the 396XT...Maybe there is NO diode to cancel out on the Uniden products....This method sure works great on the H/H RS/GRE scanners....

Dont mess with thet MOD on Uniden HHs, it doesnt work for them, somewhere in the archives of these threads are some people that tried it and bought a trip to the service center.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The correct answer to the OP was posted in reply #2. It is a HEADPHONE jack.... not an external speaker jack. There IS a difference between the two. The "work-a-round" for an external speaker is either an amplified speaker or tape audio cassette adaptor to route the 396XT's headphone jack output thru your car's stereo system for BOOOOOMMMMING scanner audio.

I have my 396XT connected to a RS amplified speaker, and it will blow you out of the car, IF I pull the jack about half-way out of the earphone jack. If I push it all the way into the jack, it cuts down on the volume.
The plug from the amplified speaker is mono. The only adapter I have been able to find at RS is one that is stereo female to stereo male, so I am assuming that is why the speaker works like it should is when I pull it out about half-way. What are your thoughts? Also, is there any danger of damaging the scanner by doing this?

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I use the Radio Shack amplified speaker. On the 396T it was always loud. On the 396XT it was low. I installed the stereo to mono adapter, and now its loud!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.