BCD396XT locking out at power down

Status
Not open for further replies.

oft

Premium Subscriber
Recently, I have been having "intermittent" problems with this scanner.

When you shut the scanner down and eventually turn the scanner back on again, the scanner will not come back on. This has been intermittent and I have verified the NiMH batteries as being fully charged per the verbage on the screen when I let the unit charge overnight.

The only way I can get the scanner to come on when this happens is to open the battery case and remove one of the three NiMH batteries for at least five seconds, place the battery back in the scanner, push the on button and then the scanner comes on and functions. I have verified the firmware as being the latest revision.

Has anyone else had this same problem?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Doesn't sound like a start up key issue - this is a wierd one.

However you should never charge the batteries in the scanner. Even with the timer function, there's no way to regulate how much current is being applied, nor any way if the batteries are being overcharged. A good external charger is a much better investment.

Unfortunately I don't believe that is really the source of the issue. Did you try a completely fresh set of batteries? That would eliminate the batteries as the possible issue......How about when using the AC Adapter? best regards...Mike

Last edited:

oft

Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz:

I have not at this time gotten the failure with the AC adapter plugged into the unit.

I'm going to go procure another set of NiMH batteries and one of those external chargers. I let the scanner charge the batteries to "full charge" and got a friend of mine to loan me one of these external NiMH chargers with a battery capacity test feature.

I put the 'fully charged' batteries (per the scanner) into the battery charger and ran it's "battery capacity" test. Two of the batteries that came with the scanner ( these batteries were made in china by an unknown manufacturer I never heard of and sounds like you would see at the dollar stores) indicated a full charge while one battery indicated a 80% charge.

But researching how NiMH batteries and chargers work, all the manufacturers that I was able to download and read engineering white papers state that it can take as much as ten charge-recharge cycles for NiMH batteries to fully develop and fully charge to their fullest capacity

But right now, unless proven otherwise, I am leading myself to believe that maybe one of the three batteries may be bad and I would be better off to replace them.

I'll let you know what happens after I try a new set of batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.