BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifty277

So I believe I have the general idea of this scanner down I just have two questions.

1. Is it possible to scan a single system created in freescan or are the systems in freescan different than the systems created on the scanner?

2. Also, if I give every system a quick key how do I scan those systems? I seem to be stuck scanning every frequency and not just my quick keys.

Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
1. Huh?? As long as you did an upload the systems in both FS and the scanner should be identical. You can just scan one system - just disable the system/site quick keys for everything else and the one that remains will be the one scanned.

2. Everything that gets a system/site quick key would be scanned unless you disable it, or don't allocate one. 'Stuck scanning every freqency' really makes no sense at all.

This article from the FreeScan user guide (which is accessible from HELP / ONLINE HELP from the FS toolbar) might help...

Freescan and Quick Key Processing - The RadioReference Wiki

Remember as a default, FS sets a lot of QKs up as active - which is inteded to stop folks running into the famous 'Nothing to Scan' error. But it also can result in mistakenly activating functions you don't want. It almost sounds like you have some active quick keys assigned to service searches, but it's hard to be sure without seeing your programming.....if that's the case...

then go to SCANNER / SETUP SCANNER OPTIONS then select the SERVICE SEARCH tab. Go through each of the service types and make sure you don't have a QK assigned to them. Also make sure that the SEARCH KEY ASSIGNMENTS (on the left of the SERVICE SEARCH form) are all empty

Mike

shifty277

then go to SCANNER / SETUP SCANNER OPTIONS then select the SERVICE SEARCH tab. Go through each of the service types and make sure you don't have a QK assigned to them. Also make sure that the SEARCH KEY ASSIGNMENTS (on the left of the SERVICE SEARCH form) are all empty

Mike

They all have the quick key . period

Welcome to Radioreference shifty.

1. The System should be the same in both the scanner and FreeSCAN if you upload to the program or downloaded to the radio.

When I download from freescan to the scanner the SO and GRP just has lines across it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It just occurred to me what the issue might be here. SQKs 21-46 are pre-loaded with many state's frequencies (and are probably dated material, and not real useful anymore). Since FS sets up every SQK as active unless you change it, you're probably scanning this garbage. You can use the System Quick Key manager to disable these quick keys for now, as documented in the article I gave earlier.

You should likely start by doing an ERASE on the upload form first - this will clear your memory and drop the copy of that data which you don't need. From this point forward, if all you're doing is updating your configuration, use REPLACE - use ADD if you are adding something new. Always control your system, site and group quick key assignments carefully - they control what you scan/don't scan. That article describes the relationships between these entities

Mike

shifty277

Ok I see exactly what you mean now. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.