BCD436/BCD536 New York/Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 536 in my Ford Escape connected to GPS and an Austin Spectra for about three weeks now. Location control with the GPS is awesome. The scanner has been used for several conventional P25 departments, mainly New Canaan. No problems. The scanner has seen the Rockland County P25 Phase II system. Great job decoding. It has seen the Connecticut State Police P25 system. Half and half, but not the fault of the scanner because I had problems with CSP wit my Pro 197 and Pro 106. Ther tower coverage just...well, sucks. In many spots, however, CSP sounds just fine. Waterbury P25 Phase I excellent decoding. State of Massachusetts 800 MHz trunking system sounded great. Low band fire transmission in Cape Cod were clear and interference free. My Escape kliled 33 MHz on my RS scanners, but the 536 was dead quiet. NYSEG VHF P25 trunking system decodes quite well. All this before and after the firmware upgrades. My scanner has the headphone problem, but I don't use the headphones, so I'm not going to send the scanner away. it still has a three years warranty, and I am extremely happy with it.

My 436 goes just about everywhere with me. Throw the stock antenna away. I go back and forth between a Diamond RH77 and a Diamond RH789 telescopic. Low band on the 436 is excellent. P25 decoding is the same as the 536, no problem.

By the way, both scanners do quite well with EDACS...there is maybe a quick pip at the end, but no open squelch. I have not missed any transmission on EDACS.

Not a very technical review, but one I think answers many questions. There are some changes I would like to see to the software, like being able to save a profile with favorite list locations on for one, and off for the other.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Sounds good!

If you don't mind me asking how are you using a movile scanner in NY? Is the "ham exemption" reallly OK? I've heard mixed comments about its enforcability.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
LOL yeah, but not for much longer! Then I'll be depending on my ham license and retired shield.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Sounds good!

If you don't mind me asking how are you using a movile scanner in NY? Is the "ham exemption" reallly OK? I've heard mixed comments about its enforcability.

I would not worry to much about the cops busting you for having a scanner in your car,unless you bring attention to yourself,nypd is way to busy with all the the high priority calls to deal with then breaking someone's chops about a scanner,and it depends on the cops to if he or she is really kool or a real by the book officer

LIScanner101

Firerick100,

Very good point, but there's a big gamble and a LOT to lose if you happen to be unlucky enough to find yourself face to face with a cop who's having a bad day. My understanding of the NY scanner law is that violation of it is a misdemeanor, meaning you could very well be hauled away in handcuffs. I hope I'm wrong about that and maybe an LEO on here can provide his/her take on it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, the scanner in the vehicle can be charged two ways. One under the VTL and the other under the Penal Law. the PL is pretty specific about using the scanner in commission of a crime. If I am not mistaken, you cannot be stopped merely for the scanner in the car, i.e. you can't be stopped because you have a radio antenna on your vehicle. Most cops could care less. If you get stopped, just be courteous, make the cop feel you're not a threat, and more than likely you'll keep your scanner, AND you will not get a ticket for whatever else you did.
Of course the biggest thing if you get stopped...TURN THE SCANNER OFF.

LIScanner101

N2MWE,

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be worried about being pulled-over just for having a scanner, or even for just sporting a scanner antenna. That part would never enter my mind. I'm more concerned if I get pulled over for something else and I happen to have a scanner in my car. I agree, if you do, SHUT IT OFF LOL!!! But I'm not sure if I want to take the chance. Sucks because I could get a lot of scanning in every day during my commute :(

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Over my years of scanning, I have been stopped three times with a scanner and radio in my vehicles. The Officer(s) asked why I had them and I tell them because I monitor them doing their job's. It's the truth. I have had them on and off in those stop's and never had to worry about them getting taken away. I do get looked at strangely at first, but what can they really do if I am not doing anything wrong? Nothing.

The reason for the first stop was I rolled through a stop sign....not a big deal.
The second time was due to a headlight out....not a big deal.
The third was for a taillight out and the officer was upset that my HP-1 was cooler than his XT.....really not a big deal.

Point blank, if you are doing something suspicious and get stopped you better hope you do not have a scanner with you. If you do then you will be questioned for it and why you need it. Better start working on that reason now...lol

If you are like many of us (NOT PLAYING COP) who just drive and listen and have no worries about getting stopped then you have nothing to worry about. Even if it is in a State with laws against them. My third stop above happened just outside of Indianapolis about three years ago.

y84media

I just tell them my Dad is a firefighter.....he retired in 2001, but I was pulled only one time because I had a CB, ham rig, business band radio, scanner, and stereo. My car looked like a state trooper .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I don't get on that mucn...LOL. I'll throw one up on You Tube, I have a 536 video up monitoring the Rockland County Phase II system. Stay tuned!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I try not to do that but it has happened. Radio shuts down and boots back up, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.