Bcd436 lapel mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, you also called it a lapel mic. But, in your photo I don't see a microphone, only an earplug. I suspect it is a mono earplug...you should use a stereo plug adapter (can get from RS).

lawman210

I didn't get a "d" shaped earpiece with unit just a large and small cone shaped one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Is the plug that goes into the scanner mono (2 sections to the plug) or stereo (3 sections). If 2 sections, you should add a stereo-to-mono adapter. It will improve the audio level and incidentally stop the scanner's audio circuit from being shorted out.

On the Scanner Master site, it looks like a stereo plug. I can make out what appears to be 3 distinct sections, but the picture on the site is too small and low rez to be able to see for sure.

Lawman, would you be willing to post up a picture of the plug so we can see for sure if it's stereo or mono? I'd like to get one of these but only if it has the correct plug - I'm not a big fan of adapters, they're just one more thing to misplace. I don't want to risk burning out something in my brand new $500 radio.

I'm also not real thrilled about that right angle plug. I prefer plugs that connect straight on, rather than at a right angle like that. Be careful not to pinch that right angle plug between the volume knob or the antenna, which is easy to do. I've already killed one pair of earbuds (albeit $5 cheapies) because they had that stupid right angle plug instead of one that the wires pass straight up from, so it got pinched and now the right side of the earbuds has stopped working. If I get this one, that right angle plug is going to get some hot glue put on it to protect the "pinch-point".

-AZ

Last edited:

Ware37075

Bought the same one. Same results.

Scanner master has a lapel speaker made by spectrum force in the speaker section of their website,I bought one for my 396 xt and it sucks it's very low with the scanner volume turned up all the way

Purchased the same one with the same results. I Purchased ear bud head phones Skull Candy black at Target $10 and it works vary well with great crisp sound and looks just like your listening to music with no strange looks.

AZScanner

Purchased the same one with the same results. I Purchased ear bud head phones Skull Candy black at Target $10 and it works vary well with great crisp sound and looks just like your listening to music with no strange looks.

Except when driving. Then you get all sorts of looks, mainly from cops. They tend to frown on people wearing earbuds while driving, hence I want a single earpiece similar to what many of them are wearing. That way I can continue to listen while driving - as a news stringer, that's pretty important and there's too much other ambient noise in the car to hear clearly unless I turn it way up. I'd rather not attract any unwanted attention by doing that either.

-AZ

lawman210

They are available separately for a couple bucks. I use one a month when working the kind of work requiring that earpeice.

So they wear out? Who sells them? I got this earpiece through scannermaster.

lawman210

Ok. Just tested the stereo to mono jack adapter. I will say that it is marginally better audio. Since the adapter was only .57 cents it's worth it.

lawman210

Here's the picture of the plug and second picture if how it looks with the adapter
utuzures.jpg

gazasy5u.jpg

AZScanner

Yep that's a mono plug alright. Darn. Someone needs to design one of these with a stereo plug. I know that would appear to make no sense whatsoever, but it would prevent potential problems with the internals of any radio that has stereo output.

Thanks for the pics, Lawman. Do you still have the packaging for the adapter? If so, posting the RS SKU/Part Number might prove helpful for folks reading this thread, since many of the salesdroids they have working in RS stores these days wouldn't know what a stereo to mono adapter was, even if it reached out and bit them.

-AZ

lawman210

Here ya go. Make you call your local RS and do a physical check. Only located 1 in three local RS
y2asyha8.jpg

Hit_Factor

So they wear out? Who sells them? I got this earpiece through scannermaster.

It's more of a hygiene thing. Sometimes they tear. It's very soft material.

Fox is the brand I use, they are called earmolds or semi-custom flexible open ear insert. Shop around for them, prices vary a lot for some reason. Earphoneguy.com has them for $5 and free shipping.

lawman210

Going to call scanner master. The listen only earpiece picture does show a Stereo plug on the unit but I received a mono.
They say it works on ALL uniden scanners. Maybe so if the ones they had were stereo. I'll let you know what they say

Status
Not open for further replies.