BCD436 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

When I bring up the edit profile screen in sentinal and I have enabled all the favorites list quck keys I want and if the monitor and download options are set to "yes" and if one of those systems was pulled from the database do I need to check the box that says "monitor full database" or can I leave it unchecked if all those other setting I mention are turned on?

Tim-B

I guess what I am asking is if my settings are as in the picture below and the quick keys are set to on then is this all I need to set to "on" to be able to monitor these systems or do I need to check "monitor full database" as well. I programmed two of the systems myself but the TX WARN system I pulled from the database but I did do some heavy duty editing of it then I save it and the profile anew.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You do not need to monitor the full database if all the things you want to monitor are in Favorites Lists (that are set for Download and Monitor, and whose quick keys are enabled).

Tim-B

Thanks dude. I am finishing up the programming that I want to load into it when it arrives. The postal service should be delivering it to me at work tomorrow. Then I get to play. Yay!

Tim-B

Yeah you're right. On Friday I will be driving along I-10 through several counties that use the TX WARN system including the Houston area. I am anxious to see how it performs in the an RF dense urban area like Houston. Although, that area is much more RF busy than my home town where I have no problem monitoring the LA 700 MHz system.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You probably know, but just in case - only those systems in your Favorites Lists will be monitored. So unless you get some kind of intermod, you'll probably not have any issues.

Also do you have Location Control On for the Favorites Lists? If you do, you'll need to enter the appropriate zip code as you change areas, unless you have a GPS device connected.

marksmith

Can you elaborate on that a little more, please. Are you talking about GPS signal reception or the incoming radio signal to the scanner?
If you use location control you need to have a way for the location to update in the radio for it to turn on/off scanning of systems in your list.

1. GPS will do it automatically by advising the radio of current coordinates.

2. Zip code entry will do it manually, but you need to enter it as you change.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to figure out whether royldean was referring to the AutoLocate feature (which I'm familiar with).

But I agree, unless you are using a GPS device, some type of manual intervention is needed to update a scanner's location.

royldean

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

You don’t need a GPS to scan by location if all of the following apply:
1. You have 'Use Location Control' set to On for each Favorites List you want to use with Location Control.
2. You set (by zip/post code, Auto Locate, or manually), or select a location.
3. Your Departments and Sites have locations programmed.

Auto Locate The Auto Locate feature works by trying to monitor any Motorola or P25 system in your area that is also in the Radio Reference Database. The scanner will then set your location based on the system(s) it receives. This will set the center of the discovered radio tower as your location (not your exact location) and a default location range of 30 miles. You can then set the range, edit the location name, and save the location.

Only tried it once, and it worked. So unless I'm missing something....

marksmith

It's faster to use zip code.

Auto locate just tries to figure out where you are based on what local systems it can find. It works, but zip code entry is more accurate.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Tim-B

One other question. Do system quick keys apply only to systems in their particular favorites list or are they global? What I mean is if I have a favoirtes list for Area A with systems A1, A2 and A3 assigned to system quick keys 1, 2, and 3 and if I also have a favorites list for Area B with systems B1, B2 and B3 with system quick keys 1, 2, and 3 and then if I am scanning only the favorites list for area A and I turn on system quick key 3 does it activate only system A3 or will it also turn on system B3?

Like so:
Fave List A
System A1 - quick key 1
System A2 - quick key 2
System A3 - quick key 3

Fave List B -
System B1 - quick key 1
System B2 - quick key 2
System B3 - quick key 3

If I am scanning only fave list A and systems A1 and A2 are already activated and I want to activate A3 and I press quick key 3 will it turn on only A3 or will it turn on B3 as well?

Last edited:

royldean

It's faster to use zip code.

Auto locate just tries to figure out where you are based on what local systems it can find. It works, but zip code entry is more accurate.

Can't disagree there, but if you are on a significant trip - I think it makes more sense then trying to look up zip codes on the fly.

marksmith

Can't disagree there, but if you are on a significant trip - I think it makes more sense then trying to look up zip codes on the fly.
Good point I guess. I am not sure how long it takes or how accurate autolocate is. Based on using GPS, and the fact that most systems are operating a circle inside 40 miles, you would be using autolocate pretty continuously.

If you regularly use the radio on a trip, a GPS is a great investment. Works great, and would greatly improve the scanning experience from either manual option.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
SQKs across FL's are independent of each other. Single key press would try to enable/disable at the FL level.

Tim-B

Thanks, I just got the new radio in my hands today and I see how the QK's work with the decimals separating each layer between FL-SYS-DEPT. I got the firmware updated and loaded my programming that I have been working on for over a week.

Hey UPMan, you let the cat out of the bag. What's up with that.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

And Auto Locate only works with Motorola and P25 systems. If there aren't any such systems, (such as only conventional systems) then this feature won't help. (Noting the OP appears to have the requisite type systems).

On the GPS, that's almost essential equipment for any long trip as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.