BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Battery issue?

Computrguy

I have a BCD436HP. I have used the Amazon Basics rechargeable batts in it for 3+ years. The other day I recharged them (always used an external charger). They are @ 1.38v after charging. The scanner will not work at all on the batteries. It works fine on usb power. If I let it try to charge from the scanner it says "battery error".
I've probably recharged the batts less than 100 times as I usually use usb power. I even recharged them to full charge periodically to try and keep them healthy.
Regular alkaline batts work fine in the scanner.
Any thoughts on why the rechargeable batts show 1.38v (I believe this is normal for them) and not work in the scanner?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a battery or two went south on you and now have a high internal resistance...
They should be about 1.4Volts to 1.42Volts or so when fully charged...

I have had a few fail prematurely before...

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like they said earlier, it sounds like the batteries are starting to go. If you got 3 years out of them, they served you well. If your charger allows for it, you might try to recycle them. SOMETIMES that works but it takes a while in the charger. The bottom line is, you're probably gonna need new batteries.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Off hand I don't remember... Just compare it against a known good one in your charger...
I'd have to look it up in the spec's...

UPDATE - OK... The typical internal resistance for NEW high-capacity NiMH rechargeable AA batteries is between 30mΩ and 100mΩ,

Also, the closer you can match three of them, the longer your scanner should run... How much longer your guess is as good as mine...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Internal resistance will go up with age... Yep, 3686, thats way to high... The other two are pretty high too...

Your looking at 30 to 100 aprox (For New) vs 3686...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Also, depending on the battery's chemistry wrap, they can charge to 1.5Volts or so too, when newer...
Depends on how high the internal resistance of the batterys is at the time of charging...

Last edited: