BCD436HP GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poonwart

Same here. The Garmin eMap has an antenna connector on the back. Wish the antenna had a right angle connector like yours. The antenna on Amazon looks to be a better deal than the eBay version of mine.

Back in the day, when legal, I would jam the antenna between the top of the raised window shade and window of whatever jet I was flying on - worked great.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender - Copy (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender - Copy (2).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 431
  • FullSizeRender - Copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender - Copy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 441

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
When I used my setup on the road, I used an external GPS antenna (Square-mag mount, low profile) I got off Amazon ; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE4GV8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I kept the Garmin GPS on the floor, rather than worrying about mounting it on dash etc. Worked great across country !

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but how did you connect this antenna to this GPS? I found a used eMap for short $$ and then bought the same antenna from Amazon for an upcoming road trip. I can't make the antenna connector fit on the GPS.

The GPS by itself seems to do a relatively poor job of acquiring satellites. I was in a relatively open location. The antenna would help...if I could connect the darned thing!

Thanks.

KC1UA

Database Admin

This is on my list to do, Jon. I'm familiar with it. My issue in this case is that we are renting a vehicle through Enterprise. I figured I'd put a piece of cheesecloth under the magnet to protect the vehicle's paint. Not even having an idea of what type of vehicle we are going to be getting other than a mid-size and having no way to tell if your setup would work from within the vehicle without it being up above the dash all the time, I opted for the alternative.

When we come back from the trip it was my intention to speak with you shortly thereafter and have you do the mod.

Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've tried my modded scanner in a variety of vehicles, even doing stupid stuff like putting the scanner under the seat with the GPS facing down, and it still worked consistently. The modules I use get amazingly good reception. Here's a video showing what it takes to break satellite lock:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgvBTKC_FuPNTLonOsQ

Take the scanner down in the basement, then put it inside a metal safe back in a corner. And as soon as I took it out of the safe, it reacquired satellite lock.

Note: I've changed indicator LEDs, so solid green indicates GPS power, and green with red flash indicates satellite lock.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks. I'm good at doing stupid stuff on occasion so I'd be right at home with this.... :D

Getting too close to departure time to do it now but when I get back I'll be in touch. Thanks.

15plus1

I figured I'd put a piece of cheesecloth under the magnet to protect the vehicle's paint.

Don't put cheesecloth (or other stuff) b/w puck and the metal. You might lose the puck at highway speeds and potentially have it swinging around the roof or deck of the car.
I have never seen scratches from when I use mine. And if it does cause slight scratches, the rental return guy or gal won't see them. They aren't too particular when returning the car, they are looking for obvious damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.