Bcd436hp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwple049

Hello fellow scanners. Hopefully I can get some help here. I'll tell you exactly what I have done. This may be a long thread.
Ok first thing I did was update the firmware.
I made a profile with favorites list for Collier County FL. I can only listen to the Fire /EMS. We also have Naples And Marco Police.
After appending to favorites list, I edit everything and put in quick keys where needed.
With monitor on and download on i hit write to scanner. After that's done I download it to the scanner. The scanner reboots and then I have to adjust the volume ( key beep ) and brightness. After applying all the settings I still have to manually do this. Anyway every is now programmed and 1 either here nothing or 1 channel from med control re- broadcast. I can barely hear that channel. It has lots of static. I'm lost here . Not sure what's wrong. I looked at a few videos on YouTube. They show how to program, but without quick keys. Im wondering if my quick keys are not in the right place.
If anyone wants to take a crack at this with me I'd appreciate it.
Thank you for looking.
Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello fellow scanners. Hopefully I can get some help here. I'll tell you exactly what I have done. This may be a long thread.
Ok first thing I did was update the firmware.
I made a profile with favorites list for Collier County FL. I can only listen to the Fire /EMS. We also have Naples And Marco Police.
After appending to favorites list, I edit everything and put in quick keys where needed.
With monitor on and download on i hit write to scanner. After that's done I download it to the scanner. The scanner reboots and then I have to adjust the volume ( key beep ) and brightness. After applying all the settings I still have to manually do this. Anyway every is now programmed and 1 either here nothing or 1 channel from med control re- broadcast. I can barely hear that channel. It has lots of static. I'm lost here . Not sure what's wrong. I looked at a few videos on YouTube. They show how to program, but without quick keys. Im wondering if my quick keys are not in the right place.
If anyone wants to take a crack at this with me I'd appreciate it.
Thank you for looking.
Mike
Hi Mike
Welcome to RadioReference.

Which systems are you trying to monitor:
The conventional channels?
The old EDACS System?
The new P25 System?

All of the above and/or something else?

Also, are you using the antenna that came with the scanner? Or a different antenna?

If you are monitoring the new Collier County P25 system. which site?

The Naples Simulcast and be a problem, depending on exactly on exactly where you are located.
Simulcast sites have a number of transmit towers, all using the same frequency to broadcast the same talkgroup, at the same time (simultaneously). The problem arises for scanners when they are at varying distances from the actual transmit sites. Even though these radio waves are travelling extremely fast, there is enough time differential between the times signals arrive at the scanner that they are out of synch, & the scanner cannot overcome that in many cases.
Here is a map of the transmit locations for the Naples Simulcast site.

If you can take your 436HP to within about a quarter mile of one of those locations, the strong signal from the close tower may be enough to override the out of synch transmissions from the other simulcast locations.
More on Simulcast Distortion can be found in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

"Profession radios", those used by fire, police, and other first responders, have internal components that can filter out the signals from other towers, and deliver clear audio to the user. These radios are considerably more expensive than a consumer grade scanner.

The Unication pagers (G4, G5, among others) also can filter out the problem transmissions. But these pagers are more expensive, and cannot monitor more than one site at a time.

Correctly programmed, the Uniden SDS series scanners (SDS100 & SDS200) can do that also, but cost a good bit more than the 436HP & 536HP.

If you are using the 436 mainly at home, you might be able to resolve the problem by pointing a directional antenna, such as a yagi, at one specific tower, increasing it's signal to your scanner, while also reducing that of the other locations. Simulcast can be extremely specific. In some cases, moving a scanner only a few feet in one direction or another may resolve the issue, You can also try "less" antenna, such as using a paperclip or no antenna at all. Occasionally, using attenuation on the site may help.

If you can export your Favorites list to an *.hpe file, and attach it to a post, any nunber of members would be able to take a peek & see if something needs to be changed or added.Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only certain ones to include.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file. Then <right> click on the file.
You'll get a pop-up menu on the display. One of your choices is Send To
Click on that and you'll see a number of choices as to how or where to send. Pick the one that says 'send to' compressed (zipped) folder.
You can then attach the zipped file to a post where someone can download and look at it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quick keys should not make any difference, other than the possibility of something being turned off. (Quick keys can be set to be off by default).

You can Edit your Profile to make changes such as key beep and brightness so that you do not have to make them on each write session.

Also, I second the above advice on getting closer to a transmitter to see if issues go away. That confirms you've programmed correctly and there are other non-scanner issues going on, such as too far away.

Mwple049

Hi Mike

The old EDACS System?
The new P25 System?

Also, are you using the antenna that came with the scanner? Or a different antenna?

The Naples Simulcast and be a problem, depending on exactly on exactly where you are located.
Simulcast sites have a number of transmit towers, all using the same frequency to broadcast the same talkgroup, at the same time (simultaneously). The problem arises for scanners when they are at varying distances from the actual transmit sites. Even though these radio waves are travelling extremely fast, there is enough time differential between the times signals arrive at the scanner that they are out of synch, & the scanner cannot overcome that in many cases.
View attachment 84448

If you can take your 436HP to within about a quarter mile of one of those locations, the strong signal from the close tower may be enough to override the out of synch transmissions from the other simulcast locations.

"Profession radios", those used by fire, police, and other first responders, have internal components that can filter out the signals from other towers, and deliver clear audio to the user. These radios are considerably more expensive than a consumer grade scanner.

The Unication pagers (G4, G5, among others) also can filter out the problem transmissions. But these pagers are more expensive, and cannot monitor more than one site at a time.

Correctly programmed, the Uniden SDS series scanners (SDS100 & SDS200) can do that also, but cost a good bit more than the 436HP & 536HP.

If you are using the 436 mainly at home, you might be able to resolve the problem by pointing a directional antenna, such as a yagi, at one specific tower, increasing it's signal to your scanner, while also reducing that of the other locations. Simulcast can be extremely specific. In some cases, moving a scanner only a few feet in one direction or another may resolve the issue, You can also try "less" antenna, such as using a paperclip or no antenna at all. Occasionally, using attenuation on the site may help.

If you can export your Favorites list to an *.hpe file, and attach it to a post, any nunber of members would be able to take a peek & see if something needs to be changed or added.Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
View attachment 84449

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only certain ones to include.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Click on that and you'll see a number of choices as to how or where to send. Pick the one that says 'send to' compressed (zipped) folder.
You can then attach the zipped file to a post where someone can download and look at it.
Hi Mike

The old EDACS System?
The new P25 System?

View attachment 84448

View attachment 84449

Thank you for replying . I believe I found the problem. Should have checked , in view Mot/P25 TGID Format, I have it set on Decimal.
Should it be HEX ? .... I just went to RR to look and i see it says HEX under Fire Services....In the line where it says Talkgroups, First line is DEC, then HEX . then Mode & Alpha Tag. im not sure.
Thanks Mike

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for replying . I believe I found the problem. Should have checked , in view Mot/P25 TGID Format, I have it set on Decimal.
Should be HEX.... I just went to RR to look and i see it says HEX under Fire Services....Something I should have looked for.....
Happy Scanning
Mike
Glad you got it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.