BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP keypad not responding

JethrowJohnson

If the SD card wasn't the problem, then I think it'd be better to send it in to Uniden for repair. I know it costs ~$100 but to me that's better than (1) not being able to repair it or (2) further damaging it to the point where I'd have to spend ~$480 on a new scanner that I otherwise might not have needed to buy.

nowires

Interesting comment on the video in #20.

Only the power button working makes it unlikely the buttons are failing. Failing buttons are usually only the heavily used buttons. When all or most buttons stop working (even the ones you rarely use) then it suggests something more serious. I assume the power button is one of the most used buttons so should have failed first, not be the only working button.

nowires

I haven't had much success with dsd+ so dmr, provoice, nxdn, p25 p1&2 in a single package picks up most of the transmissions. Bummer that the keypad isn't working, but at least being able to program it with sentinel keeps it from being a total brick and the multipurpose volume knob. Seems like the scanner wastes a lot of time scanning stuff that isn't broadcasting most of the time, like most nationwide frequencies. Some of them pick up nothing but noise and that's annoying. That can all be avoided out in the field or through sentinel. Why can't they make it easier to just put in what I want instead of trying to pull in everything and having to weed it all out?

nowires

Corrosion on a circuit board can be conductive. The leakage paths can create all kinds of problems. Alcohol and a toothbrush are good for cleaning circuit boards. Just be gentle!
It might work on the keypad rubbers and the circuits to use 91% ouchahol.

JethrowJohnson

I haven't had much success with dsd+ so dmr, provoice, nxdn, p25 p1&2 in a single package picks up most of the transmissions. Bummer that the keypad isn't working, but at least being able to program it with sentinel keeps it from being a total brick and the multipurpose volume knob. Seems like the scanner wastes a lot of time scanning stuff that isn't broadcasting most of the time, like most nationwide frequencies. Some of them pick up nothing but noise and that's annoying. That can all be avoided out in the field or through sentinel. Why can't they make it easier to just put in what I want instead of trying to pull in everything and having to weed it all out?
Do you have Favorites Lists programmed or are you scanning Full Database?

nowires

Any chance you may have unintentionally locked the keypad?
From the Easier to Read manual:
Using the Keypad Lock (BCD436HP only) The only keys/knobs that work when the keypad is locked are Channel for Hold Mode, Func,
436%20power.jpg
, and the Scroll Control for volume.
Press Func then
436%20power.jpg
/
436 keylock.jpg
to toggle the keypad lock.
But it never hurts to make sure your SD card is not causing a problem.
Using the Profile Editor in Sentinel, if you look at the Miscellaneous tab, you'll see where you can enable, or disable the keypad lock

View attachment 142706
Maybe if I set the location in the profile maybe it'll quit asking me when I turn it on.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can toggle the keypad lock on and off by pressing the function button and then the power button. Some keypads have a conductive material on the back of the buttons to complete circuits. The Radio Shack PRO-106 and similar scanners needed to have the material replaced when the buttons stopped working. There is a thread on doing that. I am not familiar with the BCD436HP keypad.

nowires

You can toggle the keypad lock on and off by pressing the function button and then the power button. Some keypads have a conductive material on the back of the buttons to complete circuits. The Radio Shack PRO-106 and similar scanners needed to have the material replaced when the buttons stopped working. There is a thread on doing that. I am not familiar with the BCD436HP keypad.
As far as I can tell there aren't anymore replacement keypads for the bcd436hp.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

No replacement keypads available?

WOW! That was easy! But when I wanted to order a new case (both front and back) when the 436 first hit the market I first was told they didn’t have the case available for sale (as they were holding all available parts for their repair dept? Possibly due to a short supply chain? I don’t know and neither did the repair dept but that was their best guess.)

So I wrote Uniden Corporate in Texas and told them I wanted to have a new case available for when I sold the radio… a new case would allow me to state a pristine appearance in my “For Sale” add… or if I kept the radio, and the display screen got too scratched up, swap it out. Corporate researched the issue of how to get a new outer case, complete with a new clear plastic window and reported back to me that the window did not come as part of the front cover. Instead, it was part of an assembly that included the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)! I thought that strange as previous models all looked like what you have shown in your video, the window attached to the front cover. But they sent me the complete case AND the LCD assembly without charge, as their way of apologizing for what I had to go through to get what I had asked for… and that was primarily a new plastic clear display window (which I had incorrectly assumed was part of the front cover, exactly what you have shown.

Going forward, it appears Uniden has broken out the display window from the LCD assembly, allowing a simple swap out of a part most susceptible to wear and tear from simple usage. I suspect that Uniden finally realized it was cheaper swap out a front case cover than to also need to swap out the LCD assembly. Why it was originally a part of the LCD assembly is anybody’s guess but when I opened up my 436, it became apparent the window was NOT part of the case cover, instead, part of the LCD assembly.

These two differing methods of replacing a scratched display window may present a problem for those who have one of the original 436’s like I have, and order up a new front case cover. But we may never hear about the two differing manufacturing processes from Uniden, who, don’t seem to have a parts dept, instead, instructing all to use the repair facility instead. Now, this may have changed since they first came out with the 436, but I am not aware of any parts dept.

This raises the question, where did you obtain the new front cover for your video?

nowires

nowires

WOW! That was easy! But when I wanted to order a new case (both front and back) when the 436 first hit the market I first was told they didn’t have the case available for sale (as they were holding all available parts for their repair dept? Possibly due to a short supply chain? I don’t know and neither did the repair dept but that was their best guess.)

So I wrote Uniden Corporate in Texas and told them I wanted to have a new case available for when I sold the radio… a new case would allow me to state a pristine appearance in my “For Sale” add… or if I kept the radio, and the display screen got too scratched up, swap it out. Corporate researched the issue of how to get a new outer case, complete with a new clear plastic window and reported back to me that the window did not come as part of the front cover. Instead, it was part of an assembly that included the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)! I thought that strange as previous models all looked like what you have shown in your video, the window attached to the front cover. But they sent me the complete case AND the LCD assembly without charge, as their way of apologizing for what I had to go through to get what I had asked for… and that was primarily a new plastic clear display window (which I had incorrectly assumed was part of the front cover, exactly what you have shown.

Going forward, it appears Uniden has broken out the display window from the LCD assembly, allowing a simple swap out of a part most susceptible to wear and tear from simple usage. I suspect that Uniden finally realized it was cheaper swap out a front case cover than to also need to swap out the LCD assembly. Why it was originally a part of the LCD assembly is anybody’s guess but when I opened up my 436, it became apparent the window was NOT part of the case cover, instead, part of the LCD assembly.

These two differing methods of replacing a scratched display window may present a problem for those who have one of the original 436’s like I have, and order up a new front case cover. But we may never hear about the two differing manufacturing processes from Uniden, who, don’t seem to have a parts dept, instead, instructing all to use the repair facility instead. Now, this may have changed since they first came out with the 436, but I am not aware of any parts dept.

This raises the question, where did you obtain the new front cover for your video?
Not my video if you're trying to ask me.

But it does seem that they thought some aspects out of the radio including the disassembly part. No speakers hanging on by two wires when you least expect it and then time to send it to the repair place.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI... That video is wrong on the reassembly... The white piece with the black contact pads was put back in backwards...
The black contact pads should face you when set into place...

@nowires ... Although this could be something to try... Open it up and clean the pads on the pc board and the black conductive pads
on the keypad side with a Q-Tip and isopropal alcohol...

nowires

Just an FYI... That video is wrong on the reassembly... The white piece with the black contact pads was put back in backwards...
The black contact pads should face you when set into place...

@nowires ... Although this could be something to try... Open it up and clean the pads on the pc board and the black conductive pads
on the keypad side with a Q-Tip and isopropal alcohol...
I wondered about that too. I think somebody commented on that as well.

Ubbe

When I plug in usb when off, it gives me the charge press yes or no charge press no. it works here. But when I power on, and it is a wonder that I can even do that, but when I get to usb serial or usb mass storage it doesn't respond via keypad.
So keypad works when it asks if you want to charge the battery or not, but keypad do not respond on the same buttons while on. Then it can't be the keypad in itself that fail. The firmware ignores the keypad while running in normal mode but responds to buttons when only running the battery charge routine in the firmware. Try dumping another firmware file in the firmware folder of the SD card and start the scanner. Then try upgrade to the latest firmware.

Old firmware BCD436

/Ubbe

nowires

So keypad works when it asks if you want to charge the battery or not, but keypad do not respond on the same buttons while on. Then it can't be the keypad in itself that fail. The firmware ignores the keypad while running in normal mode but responds to buttons when only running the battery charge routine in the firmware. Try dumping another firmware file in the firmware folder of the SD card and start the scanner. Then try upgrade to the latest firmware.

Old firmware BCD436

/Ubbe
The firmware notes say that version and the latest are practically no different. But it looks like ouchahol did the trick.