BCD436HP questions about Bay County Monitoring

grampyzz

I recently purchased this scanner with hopes of monitoring our security at the resort I live in. I'm trying to receive the frequencies for Bay County, Florida - resorts. Here are the specific channels in Radio reference.
456.1875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 6Laketown WharfFMNBusiness
456.7375WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 1Laketown WharfFMBusiness
457.1375WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 7Laketown WharfFMNBusiness
457.3125WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 2Laketown WharfFMBusiness
457.7875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 3Laketown WharfFMBusiness
462.1875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 4Laketown WharfFMBusiness
464.100WQVK377RM210.7 PLLaketown 5Laketown WharfFMBusiness

When I do get a transmission, the voice is very garbled. The reception is good, but the voice sounds like it's scrambled. The display doesn't show anything about it being encrypted. I've put on a better antenna, but that didn't help. I feel I'm missing something that would allow understand the audio. Please help.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased this scanner with hopes of monitoring our security at the resort I live in. I'm trying to receive the frequencies for Bay County, Florida - resorts. Here are the specific channels in Radio reference.
456.1875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 6Laketown WharfFMNBusiness
456.7375WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 1Laketown WharfFMBusiness
457.1375WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 7Laketown WharfFMNBusiness
457.3125WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 2Laketown WharfFMBusiness
457.7875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 3Laketown WharfFMBusiness
462.1875WQVK377M210.7 PLLaketown 4Laketown WharfFMBusiness
464.100WQVK377RM210.7 PLLaketown 5Laketown WharfFMBusiness

When I do get a transmission, the voice is very garbled. The reception is good, but the voice sounds like it's scrambled. The display doesn't show anything about it being encrypted. I've put on a better antenna, but that didn't help. I feel I'm missing something that would allow understand the audio. Please help.
I believe they are on DMR Conv. I use to live in Bay County til 2022. The 436 and 100 doesn't like DMR Conv.

Nasby

What scanner would be the best to receive the DMR?

The scanner you have will receive DMR.

You would just need to purchase the DMR unlock code from Uniden and then put the code into your scanner.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Care to elaborate? I own both and they handle DMR conventional just fine
I have sat by some places and the 436 didn't hear/pick up conv as good as the dsdplus did. When the 100/200 came out same issue didn't matter what filter it was set at. I know the schools in bay county uses simplex and nothing. Guessing by now with the firmware updates maybe got better but close call won't work cause the pulse/data it puts out.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I believe they are on DMR Conv. I use to live in Bay County til 2022.
Before purchasing the DMR upgrade, make sure they are actually DMR. The FCC database shows that they are licensed for NFM only, but you can't believe everything you read. It seems that quite often the emission of a system is changed without first seeking approval from the FCC.

grampyzz

Before purchasing the DMR upgrade, make sure they are actually DMR. The FCC database shows that they are licensed for NFM only, but you can't believe everything you read. It seems that quite often the emission of a system is changed without first seeking approval from the FCC.
So, is there a way to tell if they are DMR? I'm getting voice, but it's scrambled somehow so the speech isn't legible. Uniden told me that the 436 doesn't show if the transmission is DMR, or even if it is encrypted. My screen certainly bears this out.

Ubbe

Try a digital threshold level of 12 or 13 for DMR One Frequency or MotoTRBO trunked. It should make a difference
Push the Fn+Vol+Fn+Vol to get the display to show the data errors. Push Fn and turn the volume controller to adjust the threshold when you have it set to manual for the system and try to get as few errors as possible.

There's a bug that if you use a manual setting of the digital threshold that it will not decode DMR simplex. So always use the auto setting for DMR simplex.

/Ubbe

grampyzz

Push the Fn+Vol+Fn+Vol to get the display to show the data errors. Push Fn and turn the volume controller to adjust the threshold when you have it set to manual for the system and try to get as few errors as possible.

There's a bug that if you use a manual setting of the digital threshold that it will not decode DMR simplex. So always use the auto setting for DMR simplex.

/Ubbe
I see the errors you spoke of. The threshold won't go lower than 5. I've tried different levels after that, and it didn't change anything. It doesn't show anything right beside the ERR: Below that it has T 1.43 1.65 1.87. I haven't purchased the DMR upgrade yet as I'm not sure the system is DMR. The Uniden guy told me that I shouldn't be getting any voice at all if it's a DMR system. I get voice, but it's unintelligible.

tvengr

Well Known Member
So, is there a way to tell if they are DMR? I'm getting voice, but it's scrambled somehow so the speech isn't legible. Uniden told me that the 436 doesn't show if the transmission is DMR, or even if it is encrypted. My screen certainly bears this out.
That is why you need someone presently local to the area to verify it is DMR. Your scanner cannot decode DMR without the upgrade.

Ubbe

I shouldn't be getting any voice at all if it's a DMR system. I get voice, but it's unintelligible.
Yes, so it is not a digital system and you will then not see any values after the ERR: in the display as it doesn't see any digital data.
I have some users that use analog voice inversion, it sounds like voice but the words make no sense and sounds almost like a foreign language. There are PC programs that can decode that, if you feed the scanners audio to the PC.

Easiest are if you do Fn+Replay and record some of the audio to the SD card and then copy that and post here and we can quickly determine what you are hearing and how to deal with it.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Yes, a standard voice inversion scrambler. Can be decoded with software but I have not been able to get those stand alone programs to work on my Win7 desktop as there are nowhere to configure what audio source to use and probably use #1 the line in jack.

/Ubbe

grampyzz

Well, it sounds like I'm out of luck. Having to run it through a computer program defeats the whole reason to use a handheld. Unless you have any other ideas.

Ubbe

There are other scanners from AOR and Alinco and some other brands that have voice inversion built in, and there are also small IC's, the one that AOR uses, but needs data to be sent to it to set the inversion frequency which is mostly different for different systems. There are also other circuits you can build with a potentiometer to tune to get the correct audio that might fit inside the 436 but would be a lot of hassle to do.

You can record some of those transmissions and then decode them and listen if there are anything worth monitoring.
For the programs you probably need to connect a cable from the 436's earphone jack to line in on your computer and then play the recorded file.

/Ubbe

grampyzz

There are other scanners from AOR and Alinco and some other brands that have voice inversion built in, and there are also small IC's, the one that AOR uses, but needs data to be sent to it to set the inversion frequency which is mostly different for different systems. There are also other circuits you can build with a potentiometer to tune to get the correct audio that might fit inside the 436 but would be a lot of hassle to do.

You can record some of those transmissions and then decode them and listen if there are anything worth monitoring.
For the programs you probably need to connect a cable from the 436's earphone jack to line in on your computer and then play the recorded file.

/Ubbe
Do you have any recommendation for what radio would be good?