Bcd436hp questions/issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

204skin

Hi everyone. I have a couple questions i want to run by you guys to see what we can dig up.

I recently picked up a new bcd436 to do the occasional scanning with around my home city of Winnipeg.

So right off the bat I want to say that most if not all of our police/fire/Ems are P25 phase 2 and are all fully encrypted with aes 256, I completely understand you cannot decrypt these signals, however since setting it all up with everything I was able to find and transfer with sentinel I am having some strange things happen.

I hear what seems like next to no transmissions with this P25 system in normal scanning operation, sometimes I'll see the talk groups pop up with all the information but no sound at all, from reading it sounds like the 436 may auto mute the encrypted talk? But sometimes it will lock into TG's and I can hear the encryption, and I feel like there should be way more action going but Im not hearing much. And I used to scan heavy a few years ago before they went digital so I am very familiar with it and it's always busy.

Is there a setting or an option that I maybe dont have set right that's making me miss stuff?

And further to that, between today and yesterday I 100000% picked up non encrypted chatter on a few of these Law Dispatch channels that they say are encrypted, how is that possible? And I mean fully understandable totally clear talking. But since then I've seen that tg come up again and the traffic was encrypted.

Because I loaded this stuff from the sentinel programming list is it maybe auto ignoring certain channels based off what Uniden decides? I added them to a favourites list and that's how I'm currently scanning, but I feel like some of this is not encrypted but maybe it's ignoring it regardless.

I set up a discovery mode for this police system I'm monitoring, and when set to the trunked discovery mode for 10 Min's I've got 18 hits, and if I go into more information on each of the hits, some of the talk groups say encrypted but a lot of them also say digital, it's really confusing since the radio reference DB is listing everything as encrypted

I am still very new to the digital side of stuff here so if any of this sounds stupid I'm sorry I'm trying to read as much as possible but there's so many variables what works for one person doesn't for the next.

Thank you

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
Bcd 436 quetions

Go into services option and make sure all the tact, talk options are turned on. You push the function button and then the services/zip button on the key board

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
One other thing to note is that while the talkgroups might be listed in the RRDB as encrypted, and the talkgroups are supposed to be encrypted, if someone didn't program a radio properly, or someone doesn't know how to use it properly, you might hear traffic in the clear on occasion. Just because a talkgroup is listed as encrypted, doesn't mean that every radio that ever transmits on the talkgroup will always be encrypted. I frequently pick up clear traffic on several talkgroups in my area which are supposed to be encrypted.

204skin

That makes sense however I was hearing the main dispatcher talking when I could hear the transmissions and that would be a permanent in place radio that wouldn't have anything changed on it so I thought that was pretty strange.

Weird

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
That makes sense however I was hearing the main dispatcher talking when I could hear the transmissions and that would be a permanent in place radio that wouldn't have anything changed on it so I thought that was pretty strange.

Weird
But that could depend on how the console is set up. The Motorola MCC-5500 that I used as a 9-1-1 dispatcher was strapped encrypted, but could be changed to clear mode in the menu settings for the consollette. The one I use now can be changed right from the home screen with a couple of mouse-clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.