BCD436HP screen DUST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

I just read this thread; it seems that this is certainly a warranty issue and should be repaired by Uniden.

I wonder if Toyota will wash my car for me? It's been through a tough winter, I don't know how I could be responsible, I keep in in a garage, except when I'm driving it.

I know, not very helpful. But suggesting dirt from use is a warranty issue, just seems wrong.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if Toyota will wash my car for me? It's been through a tough winter, I don't know how I could be responsible, I keep in in a garage, except when I'm driving it.

I know, not very helpful. But suggesting dirt from use is a warranty issue, just seems wrong.

Did you miss this photograph? Dirt from use? It's on the inside of the display.. You can't be serious.

45559d1397492143-bcd436hp-screen-dust-img_0356.jpg

Hooligan

If you washed your new car with the windows up but water was getting into the passenger compartment during the process, I suspect you'd be whining to Toyota instead of making some defective analogy.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
If you put out $20,000 for a new roof, and the first rain had water coming thru your living room ceiling...is that a warranty issue ?

My point was that no one who spends $500.00 for a scanner, then gets such bad dust under the screen in a few months, should have to live with this or, even worse, clean it themselves.

I would be just as angry if it were me. I looked at my new 436, and even with a screen protector on it I did not cover that area on top as shown in the pictures. I have mine in a case as well. Tomorrow its black electrical tape, in small amounts, around that seal and then back into the case for me.

Greg

al95

Rain water was entering my brother 2009 Ford F150. The rain was coming in thru the Top Stop light also known as the third stop light. I took it in to the dealership they had to replace the gasket that surrounds the top light trim(lens). It was covered under the factory warranty. I wonder if this is covered Uniden Factory warranty.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that Uniden will not cover your Ford F 150 warranty. :)

(Sorry..I could not resist.)

no8rf

Premium Subscriber
I just read this thread; it seems that this is certainly a warranty issue and should be repaired by Uniden. I put a screen saver on mine, but I also left those small rounded corners open. Since I am using a Scannermaster case, I will probably put black electrical tape on those vulnerable areas and then back in the case again.

JAKE---Call Uniden and see if they can help.

Greg

Can anyone who opened the case post a few pictures of it here?

I E-mailed Uniden and they stated it was not that big of a problem and if there was a large dust build up to send it back in and they would take care of it. Did not like that answer why not make it right to begin with.

W2SJW

Database Admin
As I've stated earlier - take off the antenna & remove the batteries. Take out the 6 screws in the back of the unit & the front cover will lift right off if gently pulled straight away from the front of the unit.

I took the earphone plug off my beat-up Pro-97 discriminator rig, and it fits perfectly. It seems to have stopped this issue.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
You can probably just blow it out with your breath. I have a $6000 piece of Ham Radio gear that gets dust on the inside of the display cover all the time. It's annoying but I just bend over an blow lightly and the dust just goes away.

drake2b

436 Screen Dust

I also am getting some screen dust. Used some canned air and that works fine!
I have a old IC - R-2 the earplug off of it fits the 436 just perfect.
W2SJW makes it sound as if that is where most of the dust comes in!
Will give it a try.
Have a couple of Pics attached I hope..

Attachments

• 954_1198.jpg
    954_1198.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 937
  • 954_1199.jpg
    954_1199.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 642

no8rf

Premium Subscriber
Ear Plug Cap

So again if this is the cause for the dust getting in why does Uniden not offer this as standard equipment, I for one have never purchased a hand held that didn't have a plug for the mike and earplug, but if you don't let Uniden know they won't care, in fact I told Bearcat warehouse about the problem and they said they have never heard anything about that problem and as stated before Uniden didn't really care.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Strangely my PRO-18 doesn't get any dust under the screen, and I have pretty good eyes so it would be hard for me to miss it. It also has a dust plug for the headphone jack on top by 99 times out of 100 I leave it unplugged so I'm sure dust is getting in there.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Jake..how long have you had the 436? I thought you only had the home patrol as posted on your "shack" photos.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Jake, what exactly is your picture supposed to show?

This is a thread discussing dust getting in behind the screen and your picture doesn't seem to show any?

Let's keep in mind the original purpose of the thread and not get sidetracked.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Jake, I could not see anything either. However, what I was going to suggest, and apparently my last post got lost in cyberspace, is that if you do not use your headphones, then place a small piece of black electrical tape over it. I did with mine and along with a case you cannot see it. Also consider a screensaver that overlaps the seam.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.