BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester9099

Just got my BCD436 and I can't seem to figure out what this glitch is. Can someone help me?

I have a video, posted below, but here is the best I can describe it with the limited knowledge I have.

I put my zip code in to the scanner - 22980 - Waynesboro city but none of the waynesboro channels show up (looking on radio reference, everything is analog uhf for both police and fire). In order to even find Waynesboro on the list I have to click on the system of a city, then change the channel, from there I get every system by city/county. I scroll to Waynesboro, hold the sytem, change the dept to Waynesboro City, and then the second I try to change the channel it glitches out. This seems to be happening with analog channels which is all of Waynesboro and Staunton (the areas I can't seem to listen to).

I am obviously not doing something right. So if someone says the only way is to make a favorites list or whatever then I will accept that answer. Otherwise I feel like something is broken.

Video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you selected the Service Types that are applicable?
Have you confirmed the zip code is correctly entered (I've messed that up a time or two)?
Have you updated full database and firmware?
Try setting your Range to 50.0 and see if that brings the channels desired in to operation (you can reduce Range value incrementally to hit the best value to get what you want, but not too much other stuff).

When scrolling through stuff, you only really need to hold on the channel and not all three things (system, department and channel).

jester9099

Have you selected the Service Types that are applicable?
Have you confirmed the zip code is correctly entered (I've messed that up a time or two)?
Have you updated full database and firmware?
Try setting your Range to 50.0 and see if that brings the channels desired in to operation (you can reduce Range value incrementally to hit the best value to get what you want, but not too much other stuff).

When scrolling through stuff, you only really need to hold on the channel and not all three things (system, department and channel).
Thanks for the advice.

The only one on this list I haven't tried is setting my range to 50. But I can't do that because I got one of those sd card read error messages lol.

But yes, latest firmware, latest database. I checked Sentinel and they are there, I see them in the scanner but it glitches out when I scroll to it. We'll see if I can get it back up and maybe the issue will resolve itself.

jester9099

I'm sorry it's so long. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice.

The only one on this list I haven't tried is setting my range to 50. But I can't do that because I got one of those sd card read error messages lol.

But yes, latest firmware, latest database. I checked Sentinel and they are there, I see them in the scanner but it glitches out when I scroll to it. We'll see if I can get it back up and maybe the issue will resolve itself.
With the "lol" I don't know if you are serious about the SD card read error. If you are that is a red flag and may explain your issues. Typical SD card errors don't let you get as far as you have. Many topics on the issue here on RR to search and read about.
Good Luck,
Mike

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As stated above a SD Card error is a red flag follow the directions listed here after formatting a new SD Card NO LARGER THAN 32GB
Clear User Data Allows you to clear all user data in the scanner (full reset). This will delete all favorites lists, reset all profile options to default, clear all avoids, delete all recording sessions, and all discovery and analyze logs. Connect the scanner using the USB cable and select 'Mass Storage'

jester9099

With the "lol" I don't know if you are serious about the SD card read error. If you are that is a red flag and may explain your issues. Typical SD card errors don't let you get as far as you have. Many topics on the issue here on RR to search and read about.
Good Luck,
Mike
The LOL is *Sarcasm* because it seems that the sd card error has plagued this unit since its inception (and I have a great sense of humor). Mine had one out of the box. It might be linked to switching batteries and trying to turn it on with batteries that aren't strong enough. Either way, I left the batteries out for a few minutes, put good batteries back in and it resolved itself. I set my range to 50 miles and started pulling in stuff from other states despite being nowhere near another state, Charlottesville is over 100 miles from any border).

The link to the Easy to understand manual doesn't explain any of the issues. I searched "site hold mode" and can't find a definition for what it is or why it would randomly turn on while I was scrolling through systems.

In the end, I found a work around, I started making favorites lists of my area and all the included systems and sites. Then I just turn off the full database. It seems to be working. I have a second unit coming so we will see if that one has the same problems.

JACIII

Charlottesville is only 30 miles from Waynesboro, so including it within the 50 mile setup would be correct.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Replacement cards are cheap, and something you should get if you're having errors, even if you'fixed them.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I would like to replace the micro SD card in my new SDS, but I'm reminded at the nightmare when I tried to replace the one in my 436. Pieces flying everywhere. Somehow I managed to get it all back together again. The SDS tells me I've used very little space, so I doubt a larger one is needed. Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new 436?
First off, I could not keep up with the scanner movie. Just to fast for me. I'm not sure what the first movie was about, but you had all three, System, Department, and channel on hold at one point. Spinning the dial will not change much.
When you hold on the system, department, or channel to long it will HOLD that entity. I noticed on your movie that the channel was being held, and you do not want that. If anything says HOLD, press the corresponding button again to release it.
Did you put 50 miles in for range? To much for my opinion. Try 15. Thats one reason you are going out so far on your scanner.
If your SD card is not corrupted, then all you need do is set your ZIP code, and 15 miles. Thats all it should then scan.

I suggest you take the recommendation above and read the Easier to Read/Follow 436 Manual.

The best thing, IMHO, is to connect to Sentinel, set up Favorites lists with quick keys, and download what you want from the sentinel database. Sentinel might look intimidating, but it really is easy to use once you get in and explore with it. You can't damage anything with it that cannot be easily repaired.

If your card is corrupted you will need a new one, then format it, then connect to Sentinel and I believe it will upload and repopulate your new SD card. Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.