BCD536HP mobile install (2014 Dodge Avenger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Finally got on of my BCD536HP scanners installed in my car. I've been taking it with me, but I've just kept it on the seat next to me. Made it next to impossible to switch between favorites list. This should work out a lot better for me now. For now, I'm powering it thru the power socket. Will eventually get it hard wired in.

View from the drivers seat.....

Looking in from the passenger side door.....

Mag mount antenna on trunk lid.....

:) :)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Not bad. You made due with the room you have. I think a remote head option would work quite well for you if it was available.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Do you have the power issue when you start the car?

No I don't. I turn the radio on after I start the car.

There is no remote heads for the 536's 8-(

Mike

Not yet anyways. If the wi-fi dongle can ever be made to do what it's supposed to do, and Uniden gets their app up and running, we will effectively have a remote head via tablet or smartphone.

:)

eaf1956

Feed Provider
No I don't. I turn the radio on after I start the car.

Not yet anyways. If the wi-fi dongle can ever be made to do what it's supposed to do, and Uniden gets their app up and running, we will effectively have a remote head via tablet or smartphone.

I don't see the APP ever coming out.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
If I'm correct I think the Avengers use a double din stereo system. How about doing an in-dash installation with a single din audio system and the 536HP. It's difficult enough to read and operate the 536HP in the horizontal position can't imagine trying to in the vertical .

NWI_Scanner_Guy

If I'm correct I think the Avengers use a double din stereo system. How about doing an in-dash installation with a single din audio system and the 536HP. It's difficult enough to read and operate the 536HP in the horizontal position can't imagine trying to in the vertical .

Actually, it's not difficult at all. I can pretty much tell what system/department it's locked on to within a few seconds of hearing the transmission. A quick glance is all I pretty much need. And besides, it came with a pretty nice Sirius/XM radio installed in the dash and I don't want to take it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber

I did a DIN install on mine... works fine but Uniden's idea of "DIN" is not the same as everyone else's. The control head is significantly larger than DIN size, and that makes for a difficult install.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I did a DIN install on mine... works fine but Uniden's idea of "DIN" is not the same as everyone else's. The control head is significantly larger than DIN size, and that makes for a difficult install.

Agreed. I wanted to do a Din install in my ranger. I have a Double din radio but when I went to install, I found the new FM radio I bought would not fit after putting in the scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Ford Ranger

Agreed. I wanted to do a Din install in my ranger. I have a Double din radio but when I went to install, I found the new FM radio I bought would not fit after putting in the scanner.

Thats because the older Ranger is Din and a half .Unless its a newer one then it should have fit

NWI_Scanner_Guy

While I like the way I installed the 536, hearing it has turned out to be a problem. Not so much when the windows are up, but now that the weather is nice and warm, I like to have the windows down. Not all the way, but about half way or so. Wind and traffic noise make it difficult to hear the radio, even with the volume turned up all the way. Finally decided to get an external speaker to hook up to it. After trying it out in a few different locations, I finally decided upon putting it right behind the headrest. It works perfectly there, even when the windows are down.....

Used a couple of zip-ties to keep it in place. Not the most polished speaker install I've seen, but it works.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That’s probably how I’m going have to put one in when I get one. The side of the console, like you have yours. Looks like you have a Yaesu FT-7900 in there, as well. So do I, but mine is on a gooseneck, attached to the passenger seat bolt. Works great, but I may have to figure something else out to make room for a scanner, since you can’t get the remote heads, anymore, that worked with the 996.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not bad. You made due with the room you have. I think a remote head option would work quite well for you if it was available.

Unfortunately, no remote head for this radio. It was only for the 796/996 models, and never sold well as it was priced too high. When they finally reduced the price to where it made sense, they sold VERY well. Not sure if any are still available.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

What is the name of the speaker you have mounted behind the headrest? Im looking for one about that size.

Thanks!!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

NWI_Scanner_Guy

What is the name of the speaker you have mounted behind the headrest? Im looking for one about that size.

Thanks!!

Well, there's no real name to it. It's a "Kenwood Style" speaker (i.e., generic) I bought off of eBay. It's a pretty good speaker. Must be; I have six others hooked to my scanners in my shack.

Here's the link..... Kenwood Style External Speaker Ham CB Communication | eBay.

He sells them in multiple quantities, this is the first one I bought. After that, I bought 2 'bundles' of five speakers.

Hope this helps.

bee

That is the way I will have to install my 536, when i get it. I have an 05 Toyota Camry. I dont think i have another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.