BCD536HP reception issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my 536 tonight, and I got it all set up. However, it is barely picking up the channels I put into it. It's the exact same channel plan I've had in my scanners for years and never had a problem with any of the frequencies. So far, the only channels the 536 has picked up are paging channels and the NYSP base to units channel (the four channels I set the service type as dispatch). It'll pick up some of the other channels, but the scanner has to be on hold on that channel in order to pick up the transmission, and they're usually scratchy. It's not a location problem, since the 536 is sitting right next to my BCT15X, which is picking up everything like normal. I'm sure it's probably my fault, I probably have some setting set wrong or something, but if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Update: It is definitely something to do with the service types. I changed the service type to dispatch on a couple of the other channels I had to see what would happen and they come up identical with my BCT15X. Is there some sort of priority mode or something set with the dispatch service types?

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
So I got my 536 tonight, and I got it all set up. However, it is barely picking up the channels I put into it. It's the exact same channel plan I've had in my scanners for years and never had a problem with any of the frequencies. So far, the only channels the 536 has picked up are paging channels and the NYSP base to units channel (the four channels I set the service type as dispatch). It'll pick up some of the other channels, but the scanner has to be on hold on that channel in order to pick up the transmission, and they're usually scratchy. It's not a location problem, since the 536 is sitting right next to my BCT15X, which is picking up everything like normal. I'm sure it's probably my fault, I probably have some setting set wrong or something, but if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Some possibilities to start with:

Check to see if your "Attenuation" is turned on.

Check your antenna connections and try a different antenna if you can.

Tune in a strong NOAA Wx station or a commercial FM station and see how will it picks them up (the FM stations should give you full 5 bars of signal strength).

Double check a couple of your frequencies and modulation types.

Some possibilities to start with:

Check to see if your "Attenuation" is turned on.

Check your antenna connections and try a different antenna if you can.

Tune in a strong NOAA Wx station or a commercial FM station and see how will it picks them up (the FM stations should give you full 5 bars of signal strength).

Double check a couple of your frequencies and modulation types.

I've reset the service type of a couple of the busier channels to dispatch and they are now clear and come up on every transmission, so I think it's something with the service types. I probably have some priority setting set high for dispatch or something.

SCPD

QRT
service types

Thanks

Update: It is definitely something to do with the service types. I changed the service type to dispatch on a couple of the other channels I had to see what would happen and they come up identical with my BCT15X. Is there some sort of priority mode or something set with the dispatch service types?

Turn on all service types.should fix it.Shut off the attenuator and make sure all quick keys are enabled

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I've reset the service type of a couple of the busier channels to dispatch and they are now clear and come up on every transmission, so I think it's something with the service types. I probably have some priority setting set high for dispatch or something.

This is good to hear!

The "Service Type" is determined by what is designated in Sentinel therefore, you should look at the frequencies or TGs in Sentinel to see what is there and make for sure in your "Profile" these are check marked to ON.

It sounds like you may have benn monitoring the input frequencies or mobiles directly and not the repeater frequencies.

Depending on how you have your scanner programmed if you turn-on all "Service Types" you will hear everything you have programed in which may be what you want. However, some people will have frequencies for DOT, Utilities, etc., that they only want to listen to at certain times and will use the "Service Types" to turn them on and off. This allows them to use fewer FL, Systems, etc. to conserve single digit "Quick Keys"

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 P25 systems so far in my 436. One of them is a simulcast site..and it is scratchy. My other 2 P25 systems get excellent reception, so not sure if this is a feature of simulcast sites or not. The simulcast site , like the others, has very good sound / clarity, but just that scratching on one site. Any ideas?

Thanks

Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.