BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996p2 Custom search doesn't decode digital transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmorgan

I am looking to confirm that the BCD996p2 custom search by frequency DOES NOT decode any digital information, neither voice nor control channel data when it hits an active frequency. I guess this is the way it works but if not perhaps I have a setting wrong?

I am using custom search to run through the 850-860 frequency band looking for trunked P25/EDACS/DMR/LTR sites. If the search hits an active analog voice frequency you will hear the conversation. If, however, the search hits an active digital voice frequency it will NOT attempt to decode that voice but only plays the digital "noise" on audio. Presumably because it does not "know" which voice decoding to use.

Similarly, if it hits active P25 or EDACS trunking control channel it will NOT attempt display the SID, again presumably because it doesn't "know" it is P25 EDACS or what. Likewise it will not attempt to decode the DMR color code.

I do have DMR installed, the radio includes LTR of course, and that frequency range has multiple known P25, EDACS, LTR and DMR sites of various types active (dozens in fact) and I get no digital information control channel or voice, on any of them.

If that is the way it works it makes sense...too bad it can't attempt to decode it the information but it is what it is. Appreciate any helpful comments.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
The 996 can only do analog or digital in search mode. There is an option (under search options???) to decode ctcss, dsc codes, or digital NAC, etc. I would suggest changing to NAC search for the 850-860 band. Very little analog up there if at all.

wtp

my 325P2 does 'decode' P-25 voice on custom search as it is doing it right now.
it is from the county next to me and is getting 4-5 bars on reception.
i am not sure about other digital modes but even my 396T(2005) would do this.

djmorgan

my 325P2 does 'decode' P-25 voice on custom search as it is doing it right now.
it is from the county next to me and is getting 4-5 bars on reception.
i am not sure about other digital modes but even my 396T(2005) would do this.
Do you get the SID displayed when it stops on a trunking control channel? I just can't get this to decode P25 voice at all.

djmorgan

Well, this is strange...I could not get it to work reliably on 850-860. However, there are a number of P25 sites in the 771-800mhz range and the BCD996P2 seems to lock on just fine to those control channels. Not only does it show the SID it also shows a current talk group and then even follows that talk group onto the appropriate voice frequency. When the conversation on the active talkgroup finishes the radio switches back to the control channel it was on and then follows the next talk group that becomes active. Wow...now if I could get it to do that on the 800 band I would be a happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.