BCD996T USB Cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay......got the free Uniden software.....got the drivers......now all I need is the scanner and the cable. Cable first....(I known where i'm getting the scanner from....)...I need to know what the other end of the USB cable for the BCD996T looks like. http://www.ciudadwireless.com/images/CCAB30UCW.jpg <-- NOT that end. I think I may have the cable that works with it. Thanks for helping me save cash!

AndrewC75

The BCD996T does not have a USB port. It has a standard RS232 DB9 port in the back, and a non-standard serial port in the front. To connect the rear connector to your computer, you need an RS232 DB9 null modem cable (or regular cable with null modem adapter). To connect the front connector to your computer, you need the Uniden-provided (in the box with the scanner) RS232 DB9 to scanner connector cable.

If serial is not an option for you, you can either purchase a USB-to-Serial cable at any computer electronics store, or you can buy the all-in-one USB-to-serial-to-scanner cable at uniden.com.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
ECGBaritoneMastr said:
Scanner Master says that this ( http://www.scannermaster.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=01-551038 ) USB cable works with the BCD996T. It's included as part of the pakage deal. Whats up with that?

This is the Uniden USB-1 cable, it is actually a serial to USB converter. It's also the only converter cable supported by Uniden if you have problems. Scanner Master used it to sell more 996's as a package deal with the Butel software.

I see it's backordered from both places.

http://www.uniden.com/store/accdetail.cfm?item=USB-1

garys

Premium Subscriber
Just about any USB to serial adapter should work provided you install the drivers. I use a generic one which uses a FTDI chipset. I've used it with a wide variety of Uniden scanners and several different lap tops.

Gary

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
ECGBaritoneMastr said:
so.....whats the end of this wonderful cable look like.....serial at one end and USB at the other? pictures por favor!

If your talking about the Uniden USB-1 cable it's a sub-mini connector at one end (like the supplied cable) and USB at the other. The block in line is the serial converter.

R2

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know where to get the Uniden USB-1 cable?
Uniden won't have them for a month or so...

DaveIN said:
If your talking about the Uniden USB-1 cable it's a sub-mini connector at one end (like the supplied cable) and USB at the other. The block in line is the serial converter.
Whats the sub-mini connector look like? Sorry. I need pics. I want to be 100% sure i get this right.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
ECGBaritoneMastr said:
That's great! I already have 2 cables like that, and you guys just saved me like $30. Thanks!

Are you talking about the serial to sub-mini or USB to Sub-mini? The USB-1 is actually a USB to serial converter. The box inline is the hidden converter. If you just have a cable with a USB connector on one end and the sub-mini on the other, i.e. a camera cable, it will not work. The radio uses serial port commands, not USB.

Concrete1

ECGBaritoneMastr said:
That's great! I already have 2 cables like that, and you guys just saved me like $30. Thanks!
You better double check.
There are many USB cables designed for digital cameras & similar items that have the same "scanner mini" connector on 1 end, & USB on the other, but they won't work with the scanner because there is no serial to USB converter circuits in the cable. Chances are that's what you have.
If so you will need to use the cable included with the scanner through an adapter like this:
https://www.webtrix.net/shopcart/Ad...=Serial+To+USB+Programming+Converter&search=1

Concrete1 said:
You better double check.
There are many USB cables designed for digital cameras & similar items that have the same "scanner mini" connector on 1 end, & USB on the other, but they won't work with the scanner because there is no serial to USB converter circuits in the cable. Chances are that's what you have.
Okay.....i have one cable that has a "cylinder" in the wire and another that doesn't. I'm assuming it will work. The one with the "cylinder" is for an older sony digitial camera. So, maybe, maybe not....

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It will likely not work. That cylinder is probably a RF Choke (to reduce RFI), not a USB --> Serial converter. Even if it is a converter, your chances are about 1 in 16 that the pin-outs on the scanner side are correct.

To see if it has the converter, plug the cable into the PC (without the scanner connected). If the PC recognizes the cable by itself as new hardware and adds to your list of COM ports, then the cable does have the converter.

UPMan said:
It will likely not work. That cylinder is probably a RF Choke (to reduce RFI), not a USB --> Serial converter. Even if it is a converter, your chances are about 1 in 16 that the pin-outs on the scanner side are correct.

To see if it has the converter, plug the cable into the PC (without the scanner connected). If the PC recognizes the cable by itself as new hardware and adds to your list of COM ports, then the cable does have the converter.
Then its not the right cable. Darn. Thanks anyways guys!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I may be missing something here but does the OP realize the cable comes with the radio? (In other words there is nothing to buy.)

If you don't have a serial port (RS232) on your computer then you need a USB->Serial adapter to solve the problem. The Uniden USB-1 cable is just a serial cable with the USB->Serial adapter built in.

sdurham

Premium Subscriber
belkin serial-usb crash

I have a Belkin serial USB converter and now it will crash my computer, I was able to down load what I had programed to a new set up but when I try to up load it crashes , Also I set the error to MS and get a up grade from the developer say they have xp updates but I have really figured out which upgrade I need .Has anyone had this problem?

montyw47

Why is the Radio Shack Pro-528 Programming cable so expensive? It is $34.95 for cable from Radio Shack. I only paid $25.00 +tax for the scanner. It is brand new from the Radio Shack store still in the plastic box! Linux has FREE software for programming my scanner. I don't need the Windows software which I think is the biggest cost of this item. Does any one know of an affordable outlet for cables? Software is free under Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.