BCT15 Color Display Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Well, I broke down and got me a BCT15 for my truck I had a 996T and I love it but don't need digital on the road. I gotta say, the display in on the BCT15 leaves very much to be desired. I was extremely dissapointed that it could only do orange as opposed to the 996T. It's so orange and dark, it's impossible to read durring the daytime. (It's installed in the dash) At night, it's ok but the dark orange just doesn't work for mobile use. I've got it on the brightest it will go and it's still, not suitable. So, what I'm thinking about doing is replacing the LED's in the face with green ones. I thought I had seen this topic come up in the past and I even remember Paul saying it would void the warranty but it's worth it to be able to see. Has anyone tried this yet?

Paul, if you happen to read this, are these available from Uniden? I'm thinking they may have put dual color LED's in the 996T. I won't know till I open them up on the bench.

Go-24

kingpin said:
I thought I had seen this topic come up in the past

Yep, most of us agreed that it was a bad move on Unidens part to not offer the green/orange option in this MOBILE scanner. It more or less says we dont understand the reason for offering both because if they did they would have offered it on the 15 as well.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'd say it's a cost savings. The BCT15 is half the price of the 996. The DIN bracket and UASD software is also an "option" to buy.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Well, I wish they would have really kept the two colors for the 15. I started thinking about out and with them being SMD diodes, I can make them what ever color I want. I think blue would be slick but hard to see so either light green or white is what I think I'll go with. Just have to open it up and see how many I need.... and find the time to do it!

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Even with the dual color option, the BC996 is very hard to see during the day in bright sun. Considering how expensive it was, I wish uniden had used a better LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.