BCT15 vs. BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipLincoln

Premium Subscriber
Well I can't stand it any longer, I am planning on the 996 or the 15. I have a 396 which I love but there is very little P25 here in Mass except for southern New Hampshire (I'm on the boarder).

I don't mind paying for the 996 if I'm going to be able to take advantage of the features so price really is not the issue. I guess I'm asking if the 15 is simply a non-digital 996.

No doubt I'll be a pushover is someone says that the 996 is a perfect mate to the 396.

Anyone willing to talk me into the 996? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Skip

STiMULi

Do you have the money and are you willing to spend it?

That really is the only question since you are contemplating it.

Analog/Digital vs. Analog only

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCT15 2500 Channels
BCD996T 6000 Channels
BCT15 BearTracker
BCD996T Digital
BCT15 Alert Plus
BCD996T Dual-color backlights
BCT15 Black "Surround" on the faceplate
BCD996T Silver "Surround"
BCT15 No DIN-E sleeve provided
BCD996T UASD Software free

SkipLincoln

Premium Subscriber
Yes, money is not the issue. I just don't want to end up with a scanner that supports digital at the expense of reduced analog performance. I understand that digital is becoming more popular, but the time that it will take for Mass State Police, for example, to convert to P25, won't justify reduced analog performance in the meantime.

Now, if you are telling me that the 996 is an outstanding performer in both analog and digital, I'm sold.

Skip

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
For me its BC330T vs. BCD396T

SkipLincoln said:
Yes, money is not the issue. I just don't want to end up with a scanner that supports digital at the expense of reduced analog performance. I understand that digital is becoming more popular, but the time that it will take for Mass State Police, for example, to convert to P25, won't justify reduced analog performance in the meantime.

Now, if you are telling me that the 996 is an outstanding performer in both analog and digital, I'm sold.

Skip
You bring up an interesting point which probably has been discussed many a times in these forums but leads me to ask...

Does a digital-capable scanner have less performance in analog reception than an analog-only scanner??

(i'll search in the forums for an answer but appreciate any quick replies)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Brewkelyn said:
You bring up an interesting point which probably has been discussed many a times in these forums but leads me to ask...

Does a digital-capable scanner have less performance in analog reception than an analog-only scanner??

(i'll search in the forums for an answer but appreciate any quick replies)
Brewkelyn, most of the comments I've seen on the 996 have indicated it's sensitivity is better than most expected, with some calling it excellent. A couple have said it was "bad", but there's always some of those. The majority of the coments are good.

I don't know that it's endemic that a digital scanner has to be less sensitive. But I will say that, in my opinion, my 330 is definitely more sensitive than my 396. I've seen other comments along the same line. The 396 improves a good bit with a better antenna, and is relatively immune from intermod & bleedover. That's been a problem for me in the past due to location. Overall, I'm not missing calls on the 396 I expected to hear, but I bought it as an 800Mhz trunk tracker & metro area scanner. Not a long distance scanner. It's loaded with a bunch of trunked systems, average about 25. Using the 800Mhz antenna, I can hear Vhf-high & Uhf from Dallas & the immediately surrounding area, but the antenna is weighted toward the 800's. If I'm in a higher area, free of obstruction, I can hear some of the TRS comms from systems up to 25 to 30 miles out. The original antenna does better on Vhf, and I switch to it if I'm going out of the metro area, where most communications in the rural counties, and the state troopers, are on high band.

The 330 does a better job (with comparable antennas) on more distant systems. However, I've changed antennas on it as well. I can get Vhf-high bases 50-60 miles out without an external antenna using a RH77CA antenna. The City of Dallas public safety channels, on Uhf (453's for fire, 460's for pd) are readable, in my truck, with the scanner in a cup holder on the console, no external antenna, halfway to Weatherford from Ft Worth. That's probably 45 miles from the transmit site.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
hiegtx said:
Brewkelyn, most of the comments I've seen on the 996 have indicated it's sensitivity is better than most expected, with some calling it excellent. A couple have said it was "bad", but there's always some of those. The majority of the coments are good.

I don't know that it's endemic that a digital scanner has to be less sensitive. But I will say that, in my opinion, my 330 is definitely more sensitive than my 396. I've seen other comments along the same line. The 396 improves a good bit with a better antenna, and is relatively immune from intermod & bleedover. That's been a problem for me in the past due to location. Overall, I'm not missing calls on the 396 I expected to hear, but I bought it as an 800Mhz trunk tracker & metro area scanner. Not a long distance scanner. It's loaded with a bunch of trunked systems, average about 25. Using the 800Mhz antenna, I can hear Vhf-high & Uhf from Dallas & the immediately surrounding area, but the antenna is weighted toward the 800's. If I'm in a higher area, free of obstruction, I can hear some of the TRS comms from systems up to 25 to 30 miles out. The original antenna does better on Vhf, and I switch to it if I'm going out of the metro area, where most communications in the rural counties, and the state troopers, are on high band.

The 330 does a better job (with comparable antennas) on more distant systems. However, I've changed antennas on it as well. I can get Vhf-high bases 50-60 miles out without an external antenna using a RH77CA antenna. The City of Dallas public safety channels, on Uhf (453's for fire, 460's for pd) are readable, in my truck, with the scanner in a cup holder on the console, no external antenna, halfway to Weatherford from Ft Worth. That's probably 45 miles from the transmit site.
Hmm...interesting.

Well I got both the RH77CA and RS800mhz antennas, so I'm good there. They work well with my Pro-97. I guess I could keep my 97 as an analog-only scanner. It's just that I'm tight on funds, if I were to get a BCD396T I would definitely have to sell both my Pro-97 and Pro-2055.

Mstrfxit12

SkipLincoln said:
Well I can't stand it any longer, I am planning on the 996 or the 15. I have a 396 which I love but there is very little P25 here in Mass except for southern New Hampshire (I'm on the boarder).

Anyone willing to talk me into the 996? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Skip

I am in mass and have a 396 and a 996 with a 15 on the way. I have been very happy with the 996. As far as the lack of Digital, there are already some police agencies in NE MA. changing over their analog transmissions to digital and more to follow soon. The capabilities on the NH systems have been very good also. It also is nice that the UASD software is free for it. It kind of irked me that I got the 396 and 996 software free but had to pay for the 15. Anyway, just a couple of cents that might help you make up your mind... Chris

SkipLincoln

Premium Subscriber
Mstrfxit12 said:
I am in mass and have a 396 and a 996 with a 15 on the way. I have been very happy with the 996. As far as the lack of Digital, there are already some police agencies in NE MA. changing over their analog transmissions to digital and more to follow soon. The capabilities on the NH systems have been very good also. It also is nice that the UASD software is free for it. It kind of irked me that I got the 396 and 996 software free but had to pay for the 15. Anyway, just a couple of cents that might help you make up your mind... Chris

Thanks Chris, it's good to know that someone else in Mass is enjoying a 996. I wish I could have a 15 on the way also like you but I'm sure I'll be happy with the 396/996 combination -- I ordered it last night. Let us know how you like the 15!

Skip

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Digital in Your Area - A 15/996 Hybrid

I have the BCD396T. I live in the Los Angeles area, so sensitivity is not as much an issue to me. Although, I can receive Simi Valley, in Ventura County, which is about 15 to 20 miles away over the top of a small mountain range (Santa Susana Mountains), and other far away places.

I regards to buying the 996 vs. the 15 (I know you already ordered), just because there is no digital (P25) where you live now, doesn't mean there won't be in the near future. In fact, this seems to be the trend.

I cannot get either one. I don't think my wife will allow me to purchase more than one scanner in a decade (especially at $600 - radio + accessories). My BCD396T was my Christmas present and that'll have to do for a while. Before that, I bought an iCOM PCR-1000 - I was intrigued by the idea of a multi-band, continuous coverage, multi-mode, computer controlled scanner - all in a little black box.

My wish would be a combo of the 996 and the 15. I like the Beartracker features of the 15 and the digital features of the 996. I would not need the GPS features (thus, keeping the cost lower). So I guess it would be a model like the BCT15, but with digital and the increased dynamic channels. Call it the BCT##D (like BCT20D). This would make a great "middle of the road" model for the rest of us.

Last edited:

jack103

Premium Subscriber
Mstrfxit12 said:

Other then a very few transmissions on NEMLEC what else have you monitored in Northeastern MA. in the digital mode????

SkipLincoln

Premium Subscriber
hotdjdave said:
I have the BCD396T. I live in the Los Angeles area, so sensitivity is not as much an issue to me. Although, I can receive Simi Valley, in Ventura County, which is about 15 to 20 miles away over the top of a small mountain range (Santa Susana Mountains), and other far away places.

I regards to buying the 996 vs. the 15 (I know you already ordered), just because there is no digital (P25) where you live now, doesn't mean there won't be in the near future. In fact, this seems to be the trend.

I cannot get either one. I don't think my wife will allow me to purchase more than one scanner in a decade (especially at $600 - radio + accessories). My BCD396T was my Christmas present and that'll have to do for a while. Before that, I bought an iCOM PCR-1000 - I was intrigued by the idea of a multi-band, continuous coverage, multi-mode, computer controlled scanner - all in a little black box.

My wish would be a combo of the 996 and the 15. I like the Beartracker features of the 15 and the digital features of the 996. I would not need the GPS features (thus, keeping the cost lower). So I guess it would be a model like the BCT15, but with digital and the increased dynamic channels. Call it the BCT##D (like BCT20D). This would make a great "middle of the road" model for the rest of us.

Hi Dave,

I'd love the 15 and the 996 too. I bought the Garmin GPS 18 from Amazon for $82.10 to mate with my 996. Mid-life crisis = gadget factor. No really, I can't mess with a scanner while driving without wearing my glasses so I opted to try the GPS. My 396 is an excellent scanner (after having been a RS user since the days of the PRO-34 (still works!), PRO-39, PRO-41 along with the ICOM R2). Man, I do love my wife!

I'll bet a scanner in Los Angeles is quite something!

Jack103, there is a great deal of P25 traffic in New Hampshire and my 396 struggles with it when I'm at home. When I travel to NH, it works reasonably well. I think a better antenna would help. I would expect P25 traffic to be on the increase, more likely with business, media and the like. I'll let you know how this works out.

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.