BCT15X digital decoding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Figiting with my scanner and radios is a fun passtime, I have 2 digital radios with AEGIS another includes prosound.
They do several protocols of digital data, and have the scanner programed for all these channels.
Conventional analog sounds fine, but the scanner doesn't decode anything digital. Mybe I am wrong, but the book says it decodes all the digital formats my radios have. Method to my madness here is checking my various radios with one receiver instead of a few radios.
Radio to radio works very well. Besides CG, is there any setting for digital protocols on a channel by channel basis /

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Figiting with my scanner and radios is a fun passtime, I have 2 digital radios with AEGIS another includes prosound.
They do several protocols of digital data, and have the scanner programed for all these channels.
Conventional analog sounds fine, but the scanner doesn't decode anything digital. Mybe I am wrong, but the book says it decodes all the digital formats my radios have. Method to my madness here is checking my various radios with one receiver instead of a few radios.
Radio to radio works very well. Besides CG, is there any setting for digital protocols on a channel by channel basis /
The BCT15X does not decode digital formats, only analog.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The BCT15X is an analog ONLY scanner.

merlin

OK, I got it, what decoding it does is for trunk tracking.
Still learning this scanner.
TNX

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
OK, I got it, what decoding it does is for trunk tracking.
Still learning this scanner.
TNX

Its still not decoding digital data when trunk tracking - the systems it can trunk are using analog control channels.

merlin

Its still not decoding digital data when trunk tracking - the systems it can trunk are using analog control channels.
It has to, as the channel information for any assignment is digital, Tracking a trunked system is not analog.
Now I am seeing a total lack of digital with my scanner, even programming in known systems, it will not track anything nor display any digital information as claimed in the manual. True it won't decode voice channels, and have moded the scanner with a raw discriminator output to pipe that into decoding software (DSD FL). still doesn't track conventional P25, Motorola 1,2, mototurbo. Only 1 digital ham repeater I get, and just the noise from that. I need multi PSK to decode anything like T99 or G-star and the scanner is restricted to CTCSS or DSC.
Sadly disappointed, but the scanner still serves a decent purpose.

pfdradio

Premium Subscriber
In simple terms the BC15x does track trunking, but it does not decode the digital modulation formats (P25, NXDM<DMR,etc.). It probably doesn't have the ability to track systems that are not natively supported. You could probably decode audio with DSD, but I don't think it will track them correctly.

merlin

In simple terms the BC15x does track trunking, but it does not decode the digital modulation formats (P25, NXDM<DMR,etc.). It probably doesn't have the ability to track systems that are not natively supported. You could probably decode audio with DSD, but I don't think it will track them correctly.
Well, for what ever reason, this scanner has yet to track anything, be it NXDN, Mototurbo, and P25 conventional that I have but limited in my area.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
all of the above mentioned formats are digital which will not be decoded by your bc15x analogue only scanner. if you want to decode those other formats you need a digital scanner like a 396,996 series or a 325p2. That is all there is to it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, for what ever reason, this scanner has yet to track anything, be it NXDN, Mototurbo, and P25 conventional that I have but limited in my area.
As has been stated multiple times, the scanner is not capable of any digital, conventional or trunked, period.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If we examine your county in the database....

Now go down to the bottom of the page; there is a massive list of trunked systems in your area. Anything that says Project 25, DMR (of which there's a large amount) or NXDN cannot be copied by that scanner. That would exclude a good 80% of what is in your area.

As GTR suggests, time to upgrade.

Mike

wbswetnam

There are few scanners better than the BCT15X for monitoring civilian and military aircraft AM however.

merlin

As has been stated multiple times, the scanner is not capable of any digital, conventional or trunked, period.
So the specs lie just to sell a scanner. Trunk tracking im monitoring the control channel is 100% digital.

merlin

There are few scanners better than the BCT15X for monitoring civilian and military aircraft AM however.
My WJ twins are hard to beat. No problems with AM air band or military as long as it is analog.

merlin

If we examine your county in the database....

Now go down to the bottom of the page; there is a massive list of trunked systems in your area. Anything that says Project 25, DMR (of which there's a large amount) or NXDN cannot be copied by that scanner. That would exclude a good 80% of what is in your area.

As GTR suggests, time to upgrade.

Mike
Thought I mentioned, I am now in Bannoc county Idaho and the database is very obsolete.
And for the umpteenth time, I know this scanner will not decode digital voice channels.
One known P25, one NXDN. and one EDACS II in my area. an LTR up on 700 Mhz but too weak to work with.
WILL NOT TRACK ANYTHING. won't ID control channels. (book says it does) Programming these systems individually, the scanner finds the voice channels and sound fine in analog, Same thing I get with a high end receiver. control channels I have to lockout lest it rob the voice channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.