BCT15X program help

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I need help in programing the BCT15X. I mean the manual really is totally useless. I trying to change the state and program local police with no luck.

mikemsu1

BCT15 State Setting - Push Squelch knob (top left knob) which brings up a menu asking for a state selection...turn knob to desired state and press in large "function" knob.....far knob on right side. That will get you going for preprogrammed state agencies like Police, Highway Patrol, DOT, etc

Programming local agencies easiest way...just need a RR prem membership and freeSCAN, which is of course free! Happy scanning!

SCPD

QRT
I need help in programing the BCT15X. I mean the manual really is totally useless. I trying to change the state and program local police with no luck.

Listening to police using the BCT15X

Press hold/Resume so that the radio is in HOLD mode
Press the func/scroll knob once
Press the VOL knob once
turn the Scroll knob to the State
Press the Func/Scroll knob in once or Press the E/YES key

Press the POL key once for PL to be displayed & Listen to Local Police
If you press the POL key the radio will switch to Dept of Transportation Frequencies DT
Press POL again and both Local Police PL & DT will be scanned
Press POL again to turn them all off.
PL DT

For State Police Press HP Key Once so that HP is displayed & hit scan
If you want to detect only close by Police Transmissions Press HP again BT
If you want to scan State police and Police Transmissions Press HP again HP BT
Press HP again to turn them all off.

Programming a system

Press Menu key
Press E/Yes or depress Scroll Knob once to select Program System
Select New System -> Press E/Yes
Select System Type

For conventional systems
Select Edit Group
Select New Group
Select Edit Channel
Select New Channel
Input Frequency (Example 155.6700)
Press E/Yes
Then set CTCSS/DCS, Number Tag, Modulation and other settings for that frequency
When everything is set scroll down to New Channel & Press E/Yes and repeat the process.

for MOT Type II Trunked System
(Tip: For Motorola you can put in only the control channelsto shorten programming time)
Press Menu Key -> Program System -> New System
Select Sys Type -> MOT -> Edit Site
select New Site -> Set Quick Key -> 1 -> E/Yes
Scroll to Set Frequencies -> New Frequency
Input Frequency (Example 851.1125) -> E/Yes
Scroll to new Frequency -> E/Yes -> Input Frequency (Example 852.1125) -> E/Yes

Repeat the above actions until all the Frequencies are programmed.
When done Press the Menu key to back out of the Site Menu

If you have Windows XP & Vista or 7 you can use freescan to program the radio using the PC cable.
http://scannow.org/

The bare minimum for Conventional systems is to program in the frequencies. and for trunked systems the Site with the frequencies.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
What about scanning, what if I only want to listen to the local police or the state police that i have programed?

SCPD

QRT
What about scanning, what if I only want to listen to the local police or the state police that i have programed?

Do you have them programmed in a system? Then you would set a system quick key 0-99 or . for none.
To activate that system you would press the keys 0-9 to activate 1-10 or . 25 for system 25.

For groups in a system while the radio is scanning a system you want to activate or deactivate a group in you press the Func/scroll knob in one short push so that F appear on line 1 top left of the display at the bottom of the display the group numbers will appear and you press the key for that group 0-9.

S0:123---*--0
GRP12---*--90

K7CAR

Start pushing buttons. The ones that say POL, HP, will get you some thing. When they screw up then look at the online manual and figure out what you did wrong. Then read about 200 posts on how other people are having problems figuring it out. 15 people will tell you how easy it is, but a long learning curve. You don't have a written manual, so the learning curve will be much greater.

There are no videos, but if you go to the Uniden web site you might get lucky and stumble upon the tutorial that tells you everything you need to know except how to program it. Don't even think about doing the firmware upgrade till you've got the 6 month, 5,000 hour certificate in or willing to wait weeks sending it back to Uniden to only know you are stupid and everything is fine with your scanner.

Here yeah go.......push the function dial. The big dial on the right, then push the vol control. Get your reading glasses out. See the State there? When you push Function, then Vol, you will see a list of states. Now turn the big dial to your state and then push the big dial. Sha zham you now have your state preprogrammed data. Now push the POL (Police) button, Once will get Police another push will get Dept. of Transportation. (DOL) Keep pushing those buttons, POL, HP and they will come and go. You'll figure it out. If you start up the BT (BearTracker) alert you will get a GAWD awfull screeching that will cause you to hemmorage or crap your pants. This for some unknown reason is set to come on by default when you first turn your unit on.

I suspect this is some kind of inner joke with Uniden and they get a big laugh out of all the posts on this forum every time this happens. All you have to do is start pushing buttons. Usually if you push enough the screaching stops. The upper SQ (squelch) button will mute the alert. So keep pushing that till it goes away. I've found if you push enough buttons you can eventually figure out this scanner. There's no explanation of what these buttons do since you don't have a paper manual you can refer to, so just keep pushing buttons till it either explodes or stops working. What ever comes quickest. Or you could keep asking silly questions here and have all the other silly people tell you how stupid you are. It's a steep learning curve, but something you have to go through. Buck up and get with the program!........:)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The fastest way to get to a preprogrammed search like Military Air is to press FUNC then scroll to it. When FUNC releases, it will be unlocked and included with your other enabled systems.

If it is something you will often want to turn on/off, you could also assign a SQK to it through the menus.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
How do you program a EDACS system. I was programmming and it asked for a "LCN", I have no idea what a LCN is and tried to look for infomation , but again there is lack of any info. I am beginning to think I should have gone with the GRE PSR-400.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
LCN is logical channel number, and is defined here...

Logical Channel Number - The RadioReference Wiki

In our database (you didn't say anything about which system you are trying to program), an EDACS systems should have a small 2 digit number next to the frequency. This is the LCN - remember NEVER start programming with LCN 00 - always start with 01.

73 Mike

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate all the help with my questions. Well I found out what LNC's were and got those programmed in now. :) The system they use here is the standard system. Worcester Public safty in MA.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I'm still having a problem listening to the Military air that is pre programed in ... help! :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I missed a step when working from memory.

F+Scroll to Military Air, then press L/O within 2 seconds to unlock the Military Air search.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
OK, now what if I want to L/O the military air search, do i just keep hitting the l/o button?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
F+L/O, L/O when it is in the search.

You can also assign an SQK to a search so that you can leave it unlocked then turn it on/off a bit more easily.

MENU --> Search For... --> Edit Service --> Military Air --> Search with Scan --> Set Quick Key

DennisExplorer

Premium Subscriber
LCN number

So confusing. I'm TRYING to program my bct15x. EDACS system. Do I have to start with the control number(LCN)? I read to start with the freq with the small 01 before freq, but my control number is small 04. Control number is in red. What's the alternate control number (in blue). Where should that go as my sequence? How the heck do I program so I don't miss anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.