Beach scanning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Just curious if anyone has any PRACTICAL suggestions to protect a small handheld scanner on the beach. Only limitation is that I don't intend to purchase a full water jacket or anything else expensive like that. How can I avoid the blowing sand, the high heat and humidity and the water spray withour frying or damaging my scanner.

I've thought about perhaps a small cooler with an external speaker (that is disposable). I think anything simple like tupperwear or zip-lock baggies may get too hot, even if they are protected.

Any ideas out there??
Too bad Sony doesn't make a "Sports" scanner.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I have had good experience with using zip lock bags with the actual sliding zipper; if you can only get the kind where you seal the 2 lips together they're not too bad either. Far as the heat.....if you make a kind of sleeve to loosely fit around the radio inside the bag it should reflect off most of the radiant heat from the sun. The vendors that sell this stuff custom made rip you off, for just a once-a-year week at the beach it isn't worth 30 bucks for a custom fit plastic bag. Have fun, the lifeguards, beach town cops and fire, and coast guard are usually interesting. Last thought, sometimes the noise of the waves drowns out the scanner so you need VOLUME (which could eat up batts faster than normal).

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Can you even hear it through a baggie or do you use an earplug or speaker??

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
zip lock bag is what we use when we go on a water rescue call... i also use them for my scanner. you can hear fine even when its in a zip lock..

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
fuzzymoto said:
Can you even hear it through a baggie or do you use an earplug or speaker??
You can hear perfectly, just like it's not there. These are used on walkie-talkie type radios too, there is a slight impairment of speech quality (when transmitting) but the extra protection is worth it.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Waterproof radio case

I don't understand why you would risk standing there with a good radio packed full of sand of water. $30 is cheap insurance, even if you use it only once.

We use the aquapac on our rescue boat and they work great.

But, in an effort to be helpful, ebay has one cheap that looks good and is new.

I actually went back there a got one for myself.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'm willing to risk it for the few days in my life I spend at the beach or on the water. For equip that is constantly at-risk I'd buy the extra insurance. I've seen them both used quite successfully, asking $30+ for a glorified plastic bag is a rip, but, you point out both sides. The poster now has choices.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Actually for me it's not only once a year but also MAYBE only a few days actually at the beach. It's a good point that it is an expensive radio but I can also agree that for only one day $30 is too much. I'll check the eBay one out assuming it fits my 330T.

My overall concern with the baggies is water condensing on the INSIDE of the baggie from the heat and humidity. I was also checking out some of that cheap glad-ware tupperware like stuff.

I like to scan the beach with my eyes ;)

But a ziploc bag should work pretty well for the scanner. Just try and keep it out of the direct sun light. No need to over heat the scanner

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
My overall concern with the baggies is water condensing on the INSIDE of the baggie from the heat and humidity. I was also checking out some of that cheap glad-ware tupperware like stuff.[/quote]

The bag isn't gonna keep the airborne moisture out no matter how expensive, whatever moisture is in the bag is in there no matter what the cost. dry out the radio and inside of the bag over an A/C duct before you insert and seal it in (to address your concern, one which I haven't had trouble with)

Last edited:

The bag isn't gonna keep the airborne moisture out no matter how expensive, whatever moisture is in the bag is in there no matter what the cost. dry out the radio and inside of the bag over an A/C duct before you insert and seal it in (to address your concern, one which I haven't had trouble with)

Grab a few small packets of desicant to place in the bags to pick up the moisture. A good place to find that is Cabela's / gander mountain or like store. These are often used in gun safes to keep the moisture down and protect guns.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi all,

Frankly I can't understand why anyone would want to bring cumbersome items to the beach unless her name is "mommy" or "grandma". It's not a place you'd want to lug crap to and from and have it stolen but if you're really like that put it in a plastic bag to keep sand out and protect it from the sun, the guy who walks off with it would appreciate having it in working order.

Uh huh, I live here and we have a slightly different attitude than city folk, we travel light and laugh at the camels. Oh, if you're sitting there annoying us with that sort of thing likely you'll go home a little earlier than expected and have something unpleasant to take with you. In other words bring your earphone even if it makes you look like a dork.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Strange take RCA, not sure how this would annoy you.
Whenever I get to the beach the surf sounds usually drown out nearly all
conversation in the voice range unless you are within 10 feet.
Can't imagine the weak audio on most of these scanners would go further.

SCPD

QRT
Goodness, here we go again with the weather bringing out the best if folks.

It is a little more welcoming where I live. Can't hear anything for the screaming speed boats, jet skis, topless gals and annoying kids.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again,

RCA? Please don't confuse my avatar with my ham callsign, you're confused by me enough already.

Anyway, since you guys take too much to heart what I meant is we frown on the Bennies (New Yorkers) and Shoobies (Philadelphians), or in other words the city slickers who think they own the place and disturb everyone on the beach and raise hell in town tossing bottles from cars etc. Of course we don't mind if you bring your electronic crap, everyone these days has a cell phone permanently affixed to an ear or strange wired appendages, just keep it down to a dull roar.

Wheel, we have power boat races you can hear for miles inland but when those "screaming speedboats" pull that crap in the Inland Waterway we draw the line, they're some who get something unpleasant, a heavy fine. The same for the jet skis, trouble is the State Police get them after the Coast Guard retreives the waterlogged and injured. I think I mentioned those "annoying kids", wish I could carry a flare gun, but the little ones on the beach are just kids playing like we did at that age. If they get out of hand the Beach Patrol makes life a bit unpleasant for the parents but it's for safety reasons, they get lost all too often. We only have "topless gals" at the extreme northern and southern ends of the state's shoreline and with a beach only a couple of blocks down the street I'll just have to put up with the bikinis. (;->)

Now why do I have to explain my tongue in cheek remarks? Maybe it's because you're so wired up you can't see the line drawn in the sand. (;->) Ah dunno, all my life I have been going camping, hiking, biking, etc. just to get AWAY from all the city noise and electrical feldercarb and take a breath of fresh air so maybe I just don't understand why you would want to bring the city with you wherever you go. Maybe like Ben Franklin I'm an old fashioned kind of guy who believes "Guests and fish stink after three days." and breathe a sigh of relief after three months of heat, humidity, madness and mayhem.

pinellasfirefighter

Banned
what do you know about a clean beach? your from jersey. you want to ***** about people tearing **** up and disrespecting the beach come to the beach where i live. you know when we get all you yankees and canooks here.. i dunno i just figured i would stoop to your level but no pun meant its all in good fun..

Last edited:

godskidz

Beach Day

Hi
Instead of worring about damaging your scanner ( for which I fully understand)
for one day at the beach why not leave it home?

GOD BLESS

Status
Not open for further replies.