Bearcat BC895XLT issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

25or6to4

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,
I'm new to the world of scanning and decided to purchess a used BC895XLT to received trunked frequencies . The local LE (Delaware State Police) uses Motorola Type II SmartZone. I programmed my unit with the proper frequencies , the data is set on E2 , I'm getting four bars of reception when transmissions are detected but all that comes out of the speaker when transmissions are picked up is something that sounds coded/static. What I'm I doing wrong? Thanks for your help in advance.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
It looks like you might have a few problems. The first one is that the scanner you bought is an analog scanner and it looks like the Delaware State Police are digital. It also looks like many of their channels are digitally encrypted. I'm not from Delaware so I'm not really sure how everything is set up or operates there. But looking at RadioReference and looking at Delaware State Police in the database shows what I am talking about. It doesn't look like your scanner is capable primarily because it's not a digital scanner and it cannot decode the digital P25 signals unfortunately.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a 895 that I used when all of the local systems were analog. You need a digital scanner for the Delaware system. Most of the State Police is encrypted which no scanner can receive. The dispatch talkgroups show a mode of De which means digital with partial encryption. A capital E means it is encrypted all of the time. I would recommend a Uniden BCD996P2. You can use FreeSCAN, which is free software for programming the scanner. Here is the link for the Delaware system: State of Delaware Public Safety Trunking System, Statewide, Delaware - Scanner Frequencies Here is the link for FreeSCAN: Downloads - Sixspot Software I use Butel ARC-XT for programming my BCD996P2. You can also use ProScan. Both of those are paid programs and both have a free trial period to try them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.