Bent county, Colorado programming on uniden sds100

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I just ordered a Uniden sds100 police scanner. I used to have an older police scanner and was very savvy on the frequencies for my area. However, looking at the frequencies for my county (Bent County, Colorado) I see the old frequencies still listed as well as some what look like options for the state DTRS system, I think. Problem is I am obviously in over my head on these new digital scanners. My mother has one, who was programmed by someone who has since past away. I am looking for any help on being able to find the frequencies for my area as I don't know anything of the new system. I do know the frequencies I'm looking for, that aren't encrypted would be the Bent County fire/ems, and the Colorado state patrol troop 2C. The scanner apparently can load the frequencies by me putting the zip code into it, but if that fails I'm looking for a solution to program it myself, hopefully. Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions in advance!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Use Uniden Sentinel for programming, far far easier than programming by hand, even for the seasoned hobbyist. There's daily discussion about the app on the Uniden Forums so not going to get into the nitty gritty about it on this thread. Good news is It's free!

Regarding your county, looks like users are primarily on the State of Colorado DTRS system. Not sure if the conventional frequencies on the Bent County database page are still in use (someone local would need to weigh in) but I'd start with the DTRS system. Encryption is only in use for talkgroups ID'ed as mode "DE" as shown below. Mode "D" talkgroups are clear and can be tracked
DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
274112DEBent Co LECounty Law EnforcementLaw Dispatch
2040ccDEBent Co SO TacSheriff TacticalLaw Tac

Some reading material for your perusal:
Sentinel SDS100/200 Software Manual
Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
Hi Whiskey3JMC,
Thank you for the insight and helpful advice! One quick question I hope you could answer for me, to help understand. On the attached bent county channels, where the labels read "DEC" and "HEX" are those used to program the frequency for a specific channel? I found the list for my county (Bent County, Colorado) after your reply, which I greatly appreciate. But, are any of those used for programming the frequency for that specific agency/entity? I would assume that using "zip code" feature would add those automatically onto the scanner anyways since they are contained in the radio reference listing? Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated on some clarification on that. Thanks in advance!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber

chris451rr

Hello All,

I just ordered a Uniden sds100 police scanner. I used to have an older police scanner and was very savvy on the frequencies for my area. However, looking at the frequencies for my county (Bent County, Colorado) I see the old frequencies still listed as well as some what look like options for the state DTRS system, I think. Problem is I am obviously in over my head on these new digital scanners. My mother has one, who was programmed by someone who has since past away. I am looking for any help on being able to find the frequencies for my area as I don't know anything of the new system. I do know the frequencies I'm looking for, that aren't encrypted would be the Bent County fire/ems, and the Colorado state patrol troop 2C. The scanner apparently can load the frequencies by me putting the zip code into it, but if that fails I'm looking for a solution to program it myself, hopefully. Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions in advance!
I search for them, since some states can channel at their discression anywhere in the allocated band.
In several states there is no public list of frequencies just of sites. They do their own coordination with cities and adjacent states as these bands have no commercial users.

I have found the FCC database just has a band range instead of a channel for each callsign. The radios can figure out the rest given the control channel, as it is broadcast. I pulled a callsign off the control channel and looked that up, the state dealt with which freqs it was on. Supposedly commercial users are supposed to get a coordination, but the results of that are often two entities in the same town on the same frequency, saw it in a large city nearby. Annoying! Unless someone has already found the freqs, I get them before its published anywhere by other scanner users.

KE0HIN

Baca county is pretty rural area

273111DBent Co MACCounty Mutual Aid ChannelInterop
274112DEBent Co LECounty Law EnforcementLaw Dispatch
2040ccDEBent Co SO TacSheriff TacticalLaw Tac
2030cbDBent Co EMSAmbulance ServiceEMS Dispatch
26910dDHsty/McClv FDHasty/McClave FireFire Dispatch
27010eDHsty/McClv FD TcHasty/McClave Fire TacticalFire-Tac
27110fDBent Co R&BRoad & BridgePublic Works
275113DBent Co SchnBusBent County School BusTransportation

I'm sure you would also hear some surrounding counties as Mentioned sentinel is the way go for sure if your going to build a database.
I purchased the same scanner earlier this year LOVE IT its a shame the technology was not around 10 years earlier there is less and less to listen to these days.