Frequency problem

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
No, through all the talk with everyone it was brought to my attention that IFX wouldn't work on a trunked system.

After seeing the amount of threads saying IFX did nothing for them, and a man who sent me a greatly detailed write up on it and why it wouldn't work, I didn't try it and waste my time.

tvengr

Well Known Member
IFX works in many cases. It should be tried before turning on the attenuator. It is on the scanner for the purpose of eliminating severe interference problems. Put IFX on that frequency, turn the attenuator off, and see what happens.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
IFX works in many cases. It should be tried before turning on the attenuator. It is on the scanner for the purpose of eliminating severe interference problems. Put IFX on that frequency, turn the attenuator off, and see what happens.
I will give it a shot tomorrow just to see what I come up with and update you with the results afterwards. It has me curious just to try it anyways..

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
i would just keep moving the radio and antenna around to find a sweet spot.
Radios a sds200 and I have it mounted and the Antenna is a dpdproductions vertical 800mhz tuned antenna on a mast.

I found the filter that works and have attenuator on and been running great all day..

Reactions: wtp

RMason

Premium Subscriber
What version of firmware are you running? If you haven't already done so, you may also want to make sure you are running the latest version of the firmware. Several users have reported improved P25 reception with the latest firmware (YMMV):

SDS200:
1.03.06 Sub (7/11/2024)​
1.23.07 Main (3/22/2024)​

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
What version of firmware are you running? If you haven't already done so, you may also want to make sure you are running the latest version of the firmware. Several users have reported improved P25 reception with the latest firmware (YMMV):

SDS200:
1.03.06 Sub (7/11/2024)​
Honestly,

I don't know how to check what version I'm running, but I should be running the most current version. When I update my FL a week ago I checked to make sure I was running the latest. But I may need to double check to make sure I did in fact update it.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber

SDS200:
1.03.06 Sub (7/11/2024)​
Nevermind my last post. I just got home and found it in the menu.

Yes, those are the current versions I have.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
So,

I turned IFX on for the mentioned frequency, and attenuator off. No help, and still shoots high with D-errors and garbled immediately.

Noticed attenuator on today is allowing some issues as well versus yesterdays no issues with the attenuator on for that site. But it's hot and windy here today so that may just be a sort of propagation issue with weather conditions.

I'm thinking that the attenuator on is the best setting at this point, even with the high RSSI and little issues that today brings. Just the best it can be or get I would imagine. Better than with just IFX. Doesn't help with the 35-40 extra feet of LMR-400 coax that's in-line coiled up where my jumper meets the coax. I'd imagine I'm losing signal that's pretty beneficial.

Anyways, that's what I've found with the IFX set to that frequency.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you unplug the antenna cable, do you still receive a signal on that frequency? If the filters and IFX don't work, take the scanner out to your vehicle and use the cigarette lighter cable and back of scanner antenna. You may still have a local source of interference in your residence or a neighbor's residence.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
If you unplug the antenna cable, do you still receive a signal on that frequency? If the filters and IFX don't work, take the scanner out to your vehicle and use the cigarette lighter cable and back of scanner antenna. You may still have a local source of interference in your residence or a neighbor's residence.
The filter wide invert works great. Even better with the attenuator on for the site the frequency is on, even with the little error today here and there. I live out in the country so not any neighbors around for quarter mile at the shortest distance. Just my home and possible interference from here. Have tried cutting out anything I can think of, but no luck so far. Closest thing to interference I can think of now is a power line feeding power into the house, not too far from the antenna outside. Not sure on that...

Rssi ( although not reliable source) gets up around 108 with attenuator on at the highest. But, getting very good results, nonetheless with attenuator on. When enabled the attenuator back on I'm still getting pretty good results with limited D-errors. Also left IFX on that frequency for now, just haven't gotten back to remove it yet.

I will try to take it out to the vehicle when I have a little spare time and see what it acts like without being in the house or having the outdoor antenna hooked up. That will take a little time for me to do, however.

Aside from the minimal garble and little D-error showing today I've noticed the most of the issue from a police department and fire department that's situated in the town of Rocky Ford, CO. It's a very small town and could also be there radios are not the best either.. overall, still getting a decent and happy result.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
So, I am going to try moving my antenna and mast soon.

I have powerlines that run from the meter/pole to the house that are around 10 feet away from the antenna. But didn't seem to be an issue.

After reading more on things that cause interference,signal, etc..it appears that powerlines can in fact cause major interference to an antennas performance.

The filter (wide-invert) with the attenuator worked perferct a couple days ago. Absolutely no issue. Yesterday was fairly windy and pretty hot. I assumed the wind, heat, and the normal dry drought and no humidity all combined were probably the reason performance was not good again. In combination with I don't have any grounding to the antenna yet, and the possibility of static charge building on thr antenna from the dry heat and wind.

I'm assuming with everything I mentioned, that moving the antenna as far away from the powerlines would be a major benefit to reduce any interference.

The only thing I can't find a straight to the point answer to is the winds impact on an antenna, as far as static charge, especially when there is no grounding to allow static discharge. With the dry, hot area I'm in, I would have to assume that even a little consistent wind would cause static to build up and cause signal to be impacted. This of course as stated of being within 10' of powerlines seems to be a recipe for failure, and not getting the best performance possible.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I believe it is very unlikely that the power lines would cause interference to that one frequency only. It is more likely that there is a source of interference radiating on that frequency in your immediate area. Let us know what happens when you put the scanner in your vehicle and drive away a short distance. Everything is using microprocessors these days, even some toasters. Once you have the scanner in your vehicle, turn off the master circuit breaker in your residence to see if the interference goes away. It has been found that the inverters on solar panel systems can cause wideband interference.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
I will try the vehicle, but I am not going to be able to try that for a day or two.

I read some information that eluded to the possibility of powerlines near an antenna causing interference. I wasn't sure about it, hence the question. The powerline is about 5' from my antenna not 10' after I looked. Nonetheless, thank you for answering on that. It didn't specific to much.

Today, the Normal filter with attenuator ON is working best. The other night it was wide invert with attenuator on and having problems on that frequency. Today, normal filter with attenuator on and no issue on that frequency. A little garble from different frequencys but mostly the fact that a trooper 45 miles away is coming in on the la junta site that's further away, rather than the closer fort lyon site. Just the way the scanners picking it up, on the site it happens to land on and receive it on. So nothing major. But with that filter not having issues on that problem frequency, could that indicate no interferences or is that still plausible? I'm confused...

Also, I asked this question before, but is it normal to have to switch filters daily? I have been under the impression that once you found a good filter, it didn't need messed with? I had that issue before I upgraded to the outdoor 800mhz vertical antenna. Never really got a short answer to that.

Anyways I will try the vehicle option as soon as I possibly can. May take a day or two before I'm able to do that all.

BinaryMode

I don't own an SDS so I'm assuming this is a filter built into the scanner?

My guess is internal EMI of some type.

Read this post:

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
I don't own an SDS so I'm assuming this is a filter built into the scanner?

My guess is internal EMI of some type.

Read this post:

Thanks. I am pretty confident I have discovered my main issue. I have my antenna about 17' high. According to a great mapping tool for RF line of sight, I would need my antenna at a minimum 53' to be in line of sight with the tower.

Ultimately, doesn't explain why I need to use a attenuator at 17' when it should be at least 53' high, nor why I get usually pretty fair signal and reception. But, I believe getting the Antenna higher will ease everything and Ultimately get me the best result I am looking for. As for that problem frequency, maybe the Antenna being higher is also what will help with that. With the happy setting I've been on of filter at Normal with attenuator on, I have no issue with that frequency and it sure sounds like the antenna is at 53' instead of the 17'.

I can't explain why it performs as well as it does at its current height. Or anything else. But, I can really only add 5 more feet safely at this point. And that 5' may make a tremendous difference in even better quality and lesser issues, until I can find a better way to mount a mast higher. Unfortunately, the only thing high enough around to get to that high is a Utility pole that is used to route the incoming power lines and "V" them back over to the houses Utility hookup. I doubt that's a good idea to mount a antenna mast to that pole, although I'm crazy enough to want to try it 😂

Anyways, I think my main problem and solution at this point is to get that antenna higher. But why an attenuator makes everything work better when the "science" says my antenna is way too low, that's above me...

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
While visual line of sight is a rule of thumb for most cases, radio propagation has some properties that allows radio waves to get around terrain in edge cases. You could be experiencing atmospheric refraction where radio waves refracts off the atmosphere to get around terrain, which is result of atmospheric conditions as the name implies. You could also be experiencing diffraction when radio waves encounters an edge in terrain that can bend the signal into the shadow area. In an extreme edge case, maybe you are experiencing both scenarios resulting out of phase signals, so perhaps the interfering signal would be itself.

The fact that you are receiving the signal with the attenuator on mean that you are getting a fairly strong signal through some kind of effect if you do not have visual line of sight with the tower, and it is eliminating some sort of interference. I assume that you accounted for the 128 meter tall tower and antenna when you were checking line of sight.

chad_96

Premium Subscriber
While visual line of sight is a rule of thumb for most cases, radio propagation has some properties that allows radio waves to get around terrain in edge cases. You could be experiencing atmospheric refraction where radio waves refracts off the atmosphere to get around terrain, which is result of atmospheric conditions as the name implies. You could also be experiencing diffraction when radio waves encounters an edge in terrain that can bend the signal into the shadow area. In an extreme edge case, maybe you are experiencing both scenarios resulting out of phase signals, so perhaps the interfering signal would be itself.

The fact that you are receiving the signal with the attenuator on mean that you are getting a fairly strong signal through some kind of effect if you do not have visual line of sight with the

The fact that you are receiving the signal with the attenuator on mean that you are getting a fairly strong signal through some kind of effect if you do not have visual line of sight with the tower. I assume that you accounted for the 128 meter tall tower and antenna when you were checking line of sight.
Hmm..that's interesting. And sounds very possible I suppose. I don't know to awful much on all that. I need to read up more on those things, for sure.

I guess the curiosity thinking of what you've mentioned are, would it be known or common, if that's the situation of receiving thr strong signal that I obviously am it seems, to be that way most or all of the time? Or is that more of a situation of in phases? Sure seems it's stayed that way when I dial in on a filter that works.

And of course, the tower sits I think 174 feet higher than me, and my house sits in a valley. It's kind of wrapped in a bowl of sorts where I'm situated. I'm sure that has an effect as well? Maybe a good effect it would seem. I'm going to add 5 more feet on my antenna mast currently within the next few days and see what happens. Can't fo much more without guy wires and more mast to add on.

But, In my honest opinion, I sure think I get pretty good results and signal for needing to be at 53' to be in line of sight. I may just be in a situation where 5' could make it perfect or maybe 10' more. I guess the only way to know is by experimenting. I just firmly believe after all the stuff I've read that the signal has to be strong without a doubt to have an attenuator make it better. Haven't seen one thing to state otherwise.