best antenna for FT5DR??

DWX77

Hey guys, just wondering what's the most popular antenna to swap for the one that comes with the FT5DR out of the box?

palmerjrusa

Hey guys, just wondering what's the most popular antenna to swap for the one that comes with the FT5DR out of the box?

Depends what frequencies you're interested in.

A good allround antenna that you can trim according to frequency is:

Diamond Antenna SRH789​

Or the dual-band:

Diamond Antenna Dual-Band HT Antennas SRH77CA​

The following are excellent antennas too:

I own the Diamonds and some signalstuff antennas.
Shop around for the best price of the Diamond antennas.

Last edited:

DWX77

Thanks, definitely going to pick up one of these Diamonds for dual band.

Are there any decent retractable antennas which are also better than what comes stock on the FT5DR?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've been using a Diamond SRH519. It's about 8 inches long and very flexible. Probably not the best performer, but easy to deal when when moving the radio around from pocket to pocket, in and out of computer bags, under coats, etc.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget Comet antennas. I personally prefer them over Diamond and Nagoya antennas.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@DWX77 - I am a fan of the Diamond SRH-320A and have several of them. They perform very well on VHF/UHF compared to many other antennas I have tried. Still, the length of that 14" (35cm) antenna may be longer than you desire. If so....

I've been using a Diamond SRH519. It's about 8 inches long and very flexible. Probably not the best performer, but easy to deal when when moving the radio around from pocket to pocket, in and out of computer bags, under coats, etc.
I agree. For its 20cm size, the two versions of the Diamond 519 do perform well and I use them with a Yaesu VX3R, FT3DR and other small handheld radios when I need something smaller than the SRH-320A. Still, we're discussing rubber duck antennas so "performance" should be matched with lower "expectations" for those not familiar with these compromise antennas.

* I have the three versions of the 77CA and it works, but it is large and floppy. I reserve it for scanner use.