Best Antenna for Linn/Benton/Blackhawk County Area

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Shellsburg and I have a Uniden BCD996P2 as my base scanner and have been using a Bingfu 20-1300mhz antenna for quite a while now and looking for a change. Mind you I am in the second story of my house with the antenna inside on a Filing Cabinet and actually got worse reception when I put it outside of my window. I have not been overly impressed as the reception is very touchy and I find myself moving it around more than anything just to maintain a signal. Does anyone have any recommendations on either a Wide Band or Tri-Band antenna? I was looking at the KS3 at Walcott CB but I can't find much on reviews. Thank you.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
I've been very happy with these on my vehicles. Not sure how they would perform as a base antenna.

They also have this model if you're not picky about resonance being 700 or 800 mhz

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
I've been very happy with these on my vehicles. Not sure how they would perform as a base antenna.

They also have this model if you're not picky about resonance being 700 or 800 mhz

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into

MCWKen

I have been using this for low signal ISICS towers with good success.

Larsen - 5 dB 900 MHz NMO High Gain Antenna Only​

The mount came with RG85 cable, I have since replaced it with RG-174 with improved signal strength.

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
A BCD 996 will probably not work very well on Racom's SARA network as it is a simulcast system. You might be better off using the radio-mounted antenna that came with the scanner.
I definitely don't have much luck with the SARA system that's for sure if I want to listen to local fire. I have to move around my antenna and it either picks up the SARA system and not the local channels or just SARA. Would just be nice to be able to listen to both without having to do too much to my antenna.

mws72

A BCD 996 will probably not work very well on Racom's SARA network as it is a simulcast system. You might be better off using the radio-mounted antenna that came with the scanner.
I can answer that. It's a hit or miss. Some days I can hear SARA but it's never a given every day to hear prefect comms.

Guldnerk

Premium Subscriber
I can answer that. It's a hit or miss. Some days I can hear SARA but it's never a given every day to hear prefect comms.
That's for sure. Some days it's not stop chatter and I can even hear Quad Cities, Des Moines and CR and today I'm barely hearing anything other than local fire a railroad communication.

IA_911_Scanner

Feed Provider
Since about 1300 yesterday I have been unable to hear anything on the SARA network here in NE Linn County. Normally I pick up everything but since yesterday nothing in coming through on my SDS100 or SDS200 (external antenna)

timkilbride

Database Admin
Since about 1300 yesterday I have been unable to hear anything on the SARA network here in NE Linn County. Normally I pick up everything but since yesterday nothing in coming through on my SDS100 or SDS200 (external antenna)

Have you recently did any programming or even touched the scanner with a PC?

The Linn Co Simulcast is online and working.

Tim

IA_911_Scanner

Feed Provider
Have you recently did any programming or even touched the scanner with a PC?

The Linn Co Simulcast is online and working.

Tim
Yes Monday I updated the full database as I do weekly. It was working fine until yesterday afternoon. Any other suggestions? Neither scanner is picking it up. Not sure if the Central City or Troy Mills towers are experiencing issues. I’m located in Coggon.

IA_911_Scanner

Feed Provider
Yes Monday I updated the full database as I do weekly. It was working fine until yesterday afternoon. Any other suggestions? Neither scanner is picking it up. Not sure if the Central City or Troy Mills towers are experiencing issues. I’m located in Coggon.
And like that it is receiving traffic again this morning.