• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best antenna for Uniden 980 SSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgostovich

Greetings-
This years tax return will be used to upgrade my cb radio capabilities (along with getting a Uniden HP1- shhhh don't tell my wife!). I have pretty much decided on a Uniden 980 SSB at this point for the radio but I'd like some input on antennas (what if anything will work better for sideband). The radio will be going into a Ford Expidition and I would prefer a roof mount antenna but would entertain other options. I am currently using a Midland 75-822 connected to a Cobra A1500 mag mount. Any information anyone would care to share would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
If your gonna mount it on the roof go with either the Wilson 1000 or k40 roof mount or magnet mount antenna. I myself run a 102" whip on the back of my trailblazer

Sent from my iPhone yes iPhone using Tapatalk app thingy

n5ims

Any antenna that works for regular CB will work the same way when using a SSB CB rig. The frequencies are the same and that's what matters to an antenna. If they eventually create a digital CB that uses the same 40 channels as they do now, the same thing applies. The type of modulation doesn't matter to the antenna, only the frequency you transmit with matters.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Never used a K40, but I've heard a lot of people talk favorably about them. Back when I had CB's in my trucks, I used only Larsen NMO27 antennas with permanent mount NMO's on the roof. Very durable antennas, they don't look cheesy, and they work well. Nice thing about NMO mounts is that they are as standard as you can get. Once you have that on the roof, swapping out antennas is easy to do. What I'd also recommend is use an NMO mount for your scanner antenna. Doing a permanent install mount for both will work better and look more professional. They will outlast your truck and give you really good performance. Having matched stuff really improves the look.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Try getting a Larsen NMO27 first, if you can't get that then get a Wilson antenna.

LtDoc

Try your present antenna, see how it seems to you. There's no particular antenna'good' for any particular radio. Your new radio will work with any antenna just like any other radio. There are 'better' antennas for particular mounting locations though. That deals mainly with what and how much it will inconvenience you. Antennas also 'like' being over metal rather than beside metal, and don't like being under metal. You know more about your limitations than I do so you decide what's 'best' for you.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.