best ham radio handheld

bill4long

A big difference between a $30 Baofeng and a $300 Yaesu is that Yaesu has a U.S.-based service center where you can send your radio for repair. Baofeng has no intention of repairing the radios they sell.

True... but ... when $30 radios die, you throw them away and get another one. Disposible radios. But truthfully, I've been collecting CCRs for over ten years for fun, and only two have died. Cost/benefit.

Golay

Premium Subscriber
A big difference between a $30 Baofeng and a $300 Yaesu is that Yaesu has a U.S.-based service center where you can send your radio for repair. Baofeng has no intention of repairing the radios they sell.
Like someone else said, when it dies pitch it. Myself I think a "Bullfrog" should be every hams first radio. Just to see if you like the hobby. Buy a $20 handheld, put it on a mag mount, program some local machines and try to strike up a conversation. If you decide you like the hobby, go buy a better radio from one of the Big Three. If you decide ham radio isn't your cup of tea, you don't have $200 sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

And it tickles me to see people recommending a $700 digital radio as a first radio. C'mon.

k6cpo

The Kenwood TH-D75 is a pretty good buy. It gets you three bands 2m, 1.25m and 70cm, as well as APRS and the DSTAR digital mode. Kenwood TH-D75A Kenwood TH-D75A Tri-Band 144/220/430 MHz D-Star/APRS Handheld Transceivers | DX Engineering
The TH-D75 is possibly the most expensive ham radio handheld on the market at $750. This contrasts with the Baofen UV-5R, at the other end of the spectrum, at as little as $16. Personally, my recommendation for a beginner would be the Yaesu FT-60R at right around $150.

kb1fua

I have two Baofeng radios, an analog TP8+, and the digital DM-1701 for DMR. Both are in spec, and operate within the rules. I got the 1701 cheap with a pi-star to see if I was going to be interested in DMR.That was going 4 years now. It's never failed me.
I have the FT70 for Fusion/C4FM also with a pi-star. I use both daily. I prefer Fusion...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Like someone else said, when it dies pitch it. Myself I think a "Bullfrog" should be every hams first radio. Just to see if you like the hobby. Buy a $20 handheld, put it on a mag mount, program some local machines and try to strike up a conversation. If you decide you like the hobby, go buy a better radio from one of the Big Three. If you decide ham radio isn't your cup of tea, you don't have $200 sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

And it tickles me to see people recommending a $700 digital radio as a first radio. C'mon.

I think this is the best use for a CCR. Use it, find out of you actually like/enjoy the hobby, then once feet are wet, buy a better radio. Then throw the CCR in the trash shelf.

Blowing lots of money on the "first" radio is bad advice. There's lots of time to upgrade, and who knows, maybe they find they prefer HF?

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
I think this is the best use for a CCR. Use it, find out of you actually like/enjoy the hobby, then once feet are wet, buy a better radio. Then throw the CCR in the trash shelf.

Blowing lots of money on the "first" radio is bad advice. There's lots of time to upgrade, and who knows, maybe they find they prefer HF?
Yeah, I agree that the costliest portable ham radio may not be the best suggestion for a newcomer.
I personally would have been completely put off the hobby right at the start if I would have been suggested the costliest one, way back then.

But it also highlights the fact that the post title is ”best ham radio handheld”, when it rather would have been more accurate with “for a newcomer” added to it 😉