Best HF Signal Decoding Software for NESDR SMArt V5

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a NESDR SMArt V5 and downloaded the SDR Sharp program. I just bought it yesterday and am still waiting for it to arrive. I'm interested in using some sort of decoding software to receive such things as HFDL, Fax, NAVTEX, ALE etc. I'm looking for something that is either low-cost or free.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
If you look those up on Signal Identification Wiki it often list hobbyist & professional software for decoding with links

Freeware windows
Hfdl I use sorcerer

Radiofax I use fldigi

Navtex I use yand "yet another navtex decoder"

Ale I use pc-ale or sorcerer

merlin

The latest update of Multi-Psk will decode just about every HF digital modes. A bit of learning curve.
On the side, I use Sorcerer, simple free and works good.
Fldigi seems to do best with fax.
Using SDR, you will need a virtual audio cable software setup. I had problems with VR on Win 10 so I use conventional radios and audio cables.
Problem I had with VR is it hijacks all your audio.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to download multi-PSK but McAfee doesn't like it and won't let me download it. I downloaded Sorcerer and I'll see what happens.

By the way, how will an SDR perform with an active antenna? I'm thinking of installing one outside due to RF interference issues I have with regular HF antennas.

I also just bought an RTL-SDR from Amazon and am going to try that in case the NESDR doesn't cooperate. I noticed that the NESDR wasn't listed among the compatible SDRs for Sorcerer or fldigi.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, the active antenna I'm thinking of using is the MegaLoop MLA30+ Biased-Tee Active Antenna, if that helps any.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to download multi-PSK but McAfee doesn't like it and won't let me download it. I downloaded Sorcerer and I'll see what happens.

By the way, how will an SDR perform with an active antenna? I'm thinking of installing one outside due to RF interference issues I have with regular HF antennas.

I also just bought an RTL-SDR from Amazon and am going to try that in case the NESDR doesn't cooperate. I noticed that the NESDR wasn't listed among the compatible SDRs for Sorcerer or fldigi.
Did you get the blog v4? If your primary focus is hf/mw you might consider an sdrplay rsp1b...

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, the active antenna I'm thinking of using is the MegaLoop MLA30+ Biased-Tee Active Antenna, if that helps any.
I have the K-180wla loop, being directional you do have to turn it to fine tune, knowing the location or beam of the source helps, along with a 🧭 😄, it does also present a lower Snr in noisy environments.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I got the Blog V4. I am currently using an SE HF-360 XP vertical antenna, but I was thinking of replacing it with the loop antenna.